Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Those Small Performances in Films That You Love

TomJH

Surely this has been covered as I didn't read the whole thread, but I really like the cab driver in THE BIG SLEEP.  She has been mentioned in other threads on this site. 

On 6/14/2022 at 8:48 AM, TomJH said:

Una O'Connor in THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN

Respectfully, I'm unsure this is a small performance. I complained on another thread long ago that she's in every scene, in the castle, in the village, all over creation beyond all logic for her character, commenting on the action like a one-woman Greek chorus, if, by commenting, I mean "screaming"!

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Respectfully, I'm unsure this is a small performance. I complained on another thread long ago that she's in every scene, in the castle, in the village, all over creation beyond all logic for her character, commenting on the action like a one-woman Greek chorus, if, by commenting, I mean "screaming"!

I think, for better or worse, this thread has morphed into an appreciation for supporting performances/character actors, rather than actual "small" performances. I try to stick to the small performances mission, hence my appreciation for Una O'Connor's small performance as the tobacconist in Random Harvest.

MV5BYmQ2N2Q0MTItZWE4ZS00NTI1LTk4YjctZTZi

• Like 1

merlin_146496972_50e468f3-c6d3-4d7b-ba12

SAUL RUBINEK (left) as “the Frenchman in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018).

And  TYNE DALY (centre) as “the Lady” in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018).

I do not know if it counts as a small role since each episode is only like twenty minutes but the story with the limbless guy was to me the most moving part of Buster Scruggs.

The incisive Henry Daniell as the Court Martial judge in Mutiny on the Bounty, the William Bligh trial  (1962).  A great voice,a great villain,a great actor in every role.

dan_.jpg

dan2.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/15/2022 at 3:28 AM, Bogie56 said:

tenor.png

JOSH GAD as Hector MacQueen in Murder on the Orient Express (2017).

Anthony Perkins' performance of the same character in the 1974 version is full of winks to Norman Bates.  But then there's John Gielgud in the same movie at Ratchett's valet:

0c45683428bcc7ceee255922a40cc6ac--orient

Unfortunately I can't find a better picture.  Let's try this:

gielgud1.gif

• 1 month later...