Find results in...

Those Small Performances in Films That You Love

TomJH

On 1/2/2022 at 8:02 PM, LonesomePolecat said:

MEET ME IN ST LOUIS — Chill Wills

91ea5c3c979a815941e402b0ca8328be.jpg

and that little boy in the dress and mustache in the Halloween segment

2bf62391-d0fd-4e9c-8ebf-e2e8d444c991_scr

I believe that little boy in the dress and the mustache was Darryl Hickman.

• Like 1

5594a350755afc0b0a7df758d1d1938d.jpg

MV5BMWYwYmFjNmQtMDE1YS00NTRhLWE2OWItZDk2

Ray Collins as the corrupt politician 'Boss' Jim W. Gettys aka "Big Jim" in Citizen Kane (1941).  Charles Foster Kane runs against him but Gettys turns the tables exposing Kane's lack of morality.  Which is worse?   The old hand or the new self serving populist?

• Like 4

Isabel Jewell in A Tale of Two Cities

Ronald Colman stars in A Tale of Two Cities (1935) — Immortal Ephemera

Matinée Moustache — Sidney Carton (Ronald Colman) kisses “The...

A genuinely sensitive scene towards the end of the film as they both await the guillotine in prison, Isabel Jewell brings a touching vulnerability to her role as a woman frightened of what awaits her who finds a degree of solace by the courage and calm of Sydney Carton (Ronald Colman) in his final minutes. In fact it's one of the best scenes in the film due to the performances of these two actors.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The 1933 Little Women remains my favorite of all the films of the book. The movie opens with Spring Byington as Mrs. March doing volunteer work at the United States Christian Commission, in Concord, Massachusetts. Mrs. March gives a coat to a very old man who has lost two sons in the Civil War and is going to visit another son, who is in the hospital  in Washington. That old man, played by Luke Cosgrove (1862-1949), gives a great performance with his few lines at the top of that movie.

On 1/5/2022 at 4:34 AM, Bogie56 said:

Ray Collins as the corrupt politician 'Boss' Jim W. Gettys aka "Big Jim" in Citizen Kane (1941).

He's also wonderful in a much more sympathetic role in The Magnificent Ambersons (1942).  The two characters are so different, in fact, that I completely forgot it was the same actor!

• Like 3

On 1/5/2022 at 4:34 AM, Bogie56 said:

5594a350755afc0b0a7df758d1d1938d.jpg

MV5BMWYwYmFjNmQtMDE1YS00NTRhLWE2OWItZDk2

Ray Collins as the corrupt politician 'Boss' Jim W. Gettys aka "Big Jim" in Citizen Kane (1941).  Charles Foster Kane runs against him but Gettys turns the tables exposing Kane's lack of morality.  Which is worse?   The old hand or the new self serving populist?

4 minutes ago, Fausterlitz said:

He's also wonderful in a much more sympathetic role in The Magnificent Ambersons (1942).  The two characters are so different, in fact, that I completely forgot it was the same actor!

He's an outstanding actor whom, like learning a new word, once you become aware of, you notice pops up in a lot of movies in a variety of roles, but always adding something  good to the picture. 

• Like 6

And come to think of it(and an apology if I missed him being posted already)....

Not a major part, as far as screen time is concerned, but an excellent performance regardless, is PORTER HALL's   Mr. Sawyer in MIRACLE ON 34th STREET.

Sepiatone

• Like 3

Eileen Brennan who played the waitress at the greasy spoon in The Last Picture Show.   All the others received the great reviews and accolades (well deserved) but Brennan steals every scene she's in.  Directed and co-written by Peter Bogdanovich who died today at age 82.

• Like 2

Billy Gilbert in His Girl Friday (1940). His one scene is a small masterpiece of comic timing.

Hattie McDaniel in Alice Adams (1935). 

Ernst Deutsch in The Third Man (1949).

th-47.jpg.6b58655484cb6d0c4fbc640baeb3c655.jpg

Douglas Fowley as the film director in Singin' in the Rain (1952).

Peter Sellers in Lolita (1962).

Keenan Wynn in Dr. Strangelove (1964).

Christopher Walken in Annie Hall (1977).

Peter Dinklage in Living in Oblivion (1991).

Corey Stoll (as Ernest Hemingway) and Adrien Brody (as Salvador Dalí) in Midnight in Paris (2011).

• Like 2

Quite Minor and Quite/Very Obscure.

Die Hard 2: Approximately twenty-five minutes into the film When McLane makes a finger print(s) call to his Buddy.    I Dunno, but i've always found that brief as it is Interaction between McLane and that (Pretty) Customer Service Representative, ..Rather Charming. And that (Lovely) Interpretive Smile She "Gives" as he turns around (all the while with his own Respective Smile) and walks away into the crowd ..

Lovely. imo.  (Along with "and One" for my fav screen Smiles)

On 1/5/2022 at 9:06 PM, TomJH said:

Isabel Jewell in A Tale of Two Cities

Ronald Colman stars in A Tale of Two Cities (1935) — Immortal Ephemera

Matinée Moustache — Sidney Carton (Ronald Colman) kisses “The...

A genuinely sensitive scene towards the end of the film as they both await the guillotine in prison, Isabel Jewell brings a touching vulnerability to her role as a woman frightened of what awaits her who finds a degree of solace by the courage and calm of Sydney Carton (Ronald Colman) in his final minutes. In fact it's one of the best scenes in the film due to the performances of these two actors.

I Love Actresses that Glow.

conlinsullivanstravels.png?w=590&h=443

conlinsullivanstravels2.jpg?w=590

When Joel McCrea's John Sullivan winds up in the chain gang in Sullivan's Travels (1941) he is befriended by a lifer named 'Trusty' played by Preston Sturges regular, Jimmy Conlin.

• Like 7

It wasn't a big role, but an important one in "Lady In The Lake", as Dick Simmons' character, the ill-fated Chris Lavery really got the ball rolling in the story following his encounter with Robert Montgomery (Philip Marlowe).

image.jpeg.180fa0adb20b0fbf6133918df0420aee.jpeg

40 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Another one from "The Big Sleep".  Sonia Darrin never got a screen credit as Agnes Lozier, but she was in 3 scenes with Humphrey Bogart, and I thought they were pretty memorable.

image.jpeg.5b16b8e05d4cb31f65fa6ddb5503b725.jpeg

Sonia Darrin, uncredited for some reason in The Big Sleep despite her dialogue scenes, was the last cast member of that film to leave us, at age 96 in 2020. Yes, you're right, midwestern, her performance deserves to be acknowledged. Can you ever forget the way she coldly tosses off the death of Jonesy?

• Like 2

the-cast-of-tortilla-flat-sitting-on-a-p

The Pisanos in Tortilla Flat (1942) were also great: Akim Tamiroff as Pablo; Allen Jenkins as Portagee Joe; and John Qualen as Jose Maria Corcoran.  Sheldon Leonard as the jailor, Tito Ralph was also splendid.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:00 AM, TomJH said:

Sonia Darrin, uncredited for some reason in The Big Sleep despite her dialogue scenes, was the last cast member of that film to leave us, at age 96 in 2020. Yes, you're right, midwestern, her performance deserves to be acknowledged. Can you ever forget the way she coldly tosses off the death of Jonesy?

I can't remember if I read it in her IMDB bio or someplace else, but she didn't have a screen credit in most of the roles she played, and oftentimes, it was by her choice.

There was a similar thread a couple years back, and I offered up this role:

Holiday vs. Scorsese - Hollywood Elsewhere

Hope Holiday from The Apartment, as a lonely woman on Christmas Eve, pining for her "cute as a chihuahua" husband who was jailed in Cuba.

Ms. Holiday is still alive, age 91.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sammy White in 711 Ocean Drive.       TCM showed this Columbia film last night.    Below is a photo that features Sammy and star of the film Edmond O'Brien.

BUT I wonder if this really is a shot from the film but instead a lot photo,  since that looks like Cleo Moore but she didn't sign with Columbia until 1952.

Dorothy Patrick is the blonde in the film but I still say this is Moore.

Something Old, Something New: July 13, 2012 - 711 OCEAN DRIVE + HACKERS  double feature trailer - YouTube

• Like 1