Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Those Small Performances in Films That You Love

TomJH

On 1/5/2022 at 1:42 AM, LonesomePolecat said:

A great cameo type of part —Martin Milner in MISTER ROBERTS — what a hilarious and memorable moment in a movie full of funny characters

Thanks for this. I might've said MM's wide-eyed 17 y/o Marine in Sands of Iwo Jima - but in any case it's a chance to recall that TCM left him out of their 2015 tribute reel, though his credits include Life With Father, Operation Pacific, Halls of Montezuma, Pete Kelly's Blues, Sweet Smell of Success, Marjorie Morningstar, and Valley of the Dolls.

• Like 1

Let's talk about Ward Bond! He's great in everything, but these memorable characters come to mind (sorry if any of these roles are "too big" for this thread) --

Alvin York's drunken buddy in SERGEANT YORK, urging Alvin to dance with "that there big womern!"

MV5BMDk3MzJlY2UtZmViMy00MmUzLTk1NTItYzA0

sergeant-york-1941-shutterstock-editoria

Bert the cop in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE -- "Think I'll go home and see what the wife's doing..."

68e8fee9b78621233d4be91641c96257.jpg?w=6

The bus driver in IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT -- "Oh, yeah?"

506bf5f07ef9ca4c7333a878ca870884.jpg

As the sheriff Pearly Sweet in THREE GODFATHERS, who wants to play chess with John Wayne

MV5BZjkyMmIzZGEtMjNmZi00ZTY0LWFhZWUtOTAz

As Dowdy in MISTER ROBERTS, who wants to post Mr Roberts' letter on the board for the crew, then respectfully takes off his work glove before he touches it

MV5BOGIzZGIzNTEtMzgzYy00N2Y2LWE4YzAtODMy

As the Father Lonergan in THE QUIET MAN who at the end of the movie covers his priest collar to cheer for the preacher -- "Now I want you all to cheer like protestants!"

2d27789e1cfd2c47ff81f1356f2682de--mauree

And so many more!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

MV5BNzQ4YjY5MmEtNzcxMC00NWI5LWE2YzctOTZm

Germaine Kerjean as the whip wielding matriarch, Tisane Goupi in Jacques Becker's Goupi Main Rouges aka It Happened at the Inn (1943).

I came across the scenario of a later American film that had the same plot as this film with the character of a matriarch that takes a whip to someone that I wished I had remembered the title of.  Not surprisingly it didn't give a 'based upon' credit to this French film.   It wasn't Johnny Guitar.  Anyone out there hazard a guess?

On 1/9/2022 at 6:18 AM, Bogie56 said:

Errol+Thank+Your+Lucky+Stars.jpg

Errol Flynn credited as "Himself" in Thank Your Lucky Stars (1943).  A really fun performance.

Flynn is so good in this six minute self spoofing bit that I think Warners missed out on a golden opportunity by not casting him as some kind of scalawag in a period musical comedy of some sort (maybe with a backstage setting with a leading lady like Ann Sheridan, who could also perform in musical comedy).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bogie's post of a woman looking out of the window reminds me of a scene from Kings Row (1942) in which the smallest of performances by Eden Gray as Mrs. Tower (wife of Dr. Tower played by Claude Rains) creates an atmosphere of mystery and, almost, terror. The question in one's mind becomes, particularly in hindsight later in the movie, is she the victim of some hereditary mental illness that she passes on to her daughter; or has she been driven mad because her husband and daughter are involved in an incestuous relationship (this is evidently clear in the book)?

There's a photo online of the scene of Ms. Gray looking out of the window, peering from behind the curtains, but it doesn't appear to be linkable.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuNqwV4-I9rrLiaHokiOE          images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbn4ngAGR4KbBd3DHQewL

There are usually a host of good performances to choose from in a Preston Sturges film.  I really enjoyed comedienne, Esther Howard's Mrs. Noble in Hail the Conquering Hero (1944).

• Like 2

Jan Duggan as Cleopatra Pepperday in The Old Fashioned Way

Jan Duggan Filmography, List of Jan Duggan Movies and TV Shows - FamousFix

"Woman looks like a well kept grave," W. C. Fields mutters out of the corner of his mouth upon first sighting her. Cleopatra Pepperday, the wealthiest woman in town, news that makes Fields' larcenous heart skip a beat. creating a sudden interest in the lady. Duggan has a classic scene in which, with Fields sitting captive transfixed on a couch, she shows off her musical "talents" by singing "Gathering Up The Shells From The Seashore" whiling skipping and prancing around the room with all the grace of your average bison. Fields pretty well lets Duggan have this scene to herself, too, with only a few reaction shots from him, knowing the film would benefit by letting the actress have her hilarious comic moment.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

There are usually a host of good performances to choose from in a Preston Sturges film.  I really enjoyed comedienne Esther Howard's Mrs. Noble in Hail the Conquering Hero (1944).

Yes, and she's also hilarious as the man-eating widow in Sullivan's Travels.  Her basic persona (an essentially crude person with pretensions of being worldly and sophisticated) perhaps owes something to the Mary Boland character in Ruggles of Red Gap but with an added "cougar" element.  Almira Sessions is also perfectly cast as her deeply unimpressed sister.

• Like 1

Okay sure. While the following was in a TV series and not a "film" per see, I've always thought those short scenes in which Raymond Burr here is featured in that one memorable Twilight Zone edisode that starred William Shatner were pretty good...

tumblr_lr0dicOACB1r2c0vpo1_500.png&ehk=4

(...well okay...I always thought that gremlin thing out there on the wing of that airliner kind'a LOOKED like it could be Raymond Burr anyway...especially around the eyes and the mouth...am I wrong?!!!)

;)

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Okay sure. While the following was in a TV series and not a "film" per see, I've always thought those short scenes in which Raymond Burr here is featured in that one memorable Twilight Zone edisode that starred William Shatner were pretty good...

tumblr_lr0dicOACB1r2c0vpo1_500.png&ehk=4

(...well okay...I always thought that gremlin thing out there on the wing of that airliner kind'a looked like Raymond Burr anyway...especially around the eyes and the mouth...am I wrong?!!!)

;)

One Canadian to another

• Like 1

Frank Faylen as Bim Nolan in The Lost Weekend

Frank Faylen

There's a memorably sadistic glee to Faylen's face and dialogue delivery as the head male nurse in an alcoholic ward.

The Lost Weekend" (1945) | IndustryCentral

"Listen, I pick an alky with one eye shut. You're an alky. You'll come back. They all do. Him, for instance. Shows up every month. Just like the gas bill."

• 'Bim' Nolan, Male Nurse : Prohibition - that's what started most of these guys off. Whoopie. Now, be a good boy and drink this.

Don Birnam : I don't want it.

'Bim' Nolan, Male Nurse : Better take it. Liable to be a little floor show later on, around here. It might get on your nerves.

Don Birnam : Floor show?

'Bim' Nolan, Male Nurse : Ever hear of the DTs?

Don Birnam : No!

'Bim' Nolan, Male Nurse : You will, brother.

Don Birnam : Not me!

'Bim' Nolan, Male Nurse : Like to make a little bet? After all, you're just a Freshman. Wait till you're a Sophomore. That's when you start seeing the little animals. You know that stuff about pink elephants? That's the bunk. It's little animals. Little tiny turkeys in straw hats. Midget monkeys coming through the key holes. See that guy over there? With him, its beetles. Come the night, he sees beetles crawling all over him. Has to be dark though.

• Like 4

Vernon Dent

Vernon Dent, best remembered as comic foil for the Three Stooges. A large man of remarkable physical grace and great at pratfalls, Dent first appeared in Stooges shorts in 1936 and was still working with them by the time of his final short appearance in 1957. His comedy career had begun during the silents, working with Mack Sennett and Harry Langdon, in particular. Sadly, Dent lost his eyesight due to diabetes but still attended Shemp Howard's funeral in 1955, being lead to the casket by hand.

Three Stooges Had Their Own Stooges, Like Vernon Dent - The New York Times

Vernon Dent fan page - Home | Facebook

Another Old Movie Blog: An Ache in Every Stake - 1941

• Like 1

One of the nicest men in the movies, Ernest Borgnine, had at least two memorable roles as bullies in the early '50s.

From Here to Eternity (1953) -- (Movie Clip) Fatso Judson - Turner Classic  Movies

Fatso Judson in From Here to Eternity

SPENCER TRACY, ERNEST BORGNINE, BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK, 1955 Stock Photo -  Alamy

Coley Trimble in Bad Day at Black Rock

• Like 3