Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Betty White has died

UMO1982

Found out at work today. 

When people use the expression " They don't make them like that anymore" well, she is an exemplar.

Beautiful Soul, beautiful person, talented. We were just talking about Mickey Rooney and his career longevity, and I had mentioned in that context Angela Lansbury as well for her ability to reinvent herself. Here is another fine example. She made everything she was in better for her presence. She was hilarious in Hot in Cleveland, was THE best Golden Girl, outstanding player in MTM and I had one heck of a crush on her as a regular guest on " To Tell the Truth" (if I am remembering the show correctly, it was years ago, and someone can correct me if I err) n addition to other endeavors mentioned by previous posters.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I will love them all for the rest of my life.  I have loved all of these performers since I was a child.  Bless them all!

Love the heartfelt simplicity of your statement.

It's amazing how performers can touch our lives and hearts. (let's not forget writers & crew)

Anyone who gives joy to others on this scale is elevated from performer to true artist. I am so grateful for Bette White and the incredible life she shared with us, humanity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Saw her on one of those comedy central "roasts" one night.  When she got up to speak, she approached the mic at the lectern without the thick sheaf of notes most the other comics usually did, and for 15 minutes delivered some of the most off color, insulting comments about the "roast of honor" and previous comic speakers, all without ONE profane word or any other gutter level humor.  So funny I was actually in TEARS!  And all in that wide-eyed, sweet as sugar innocent delivery we all came to know and love. 

MAN!  I was bummed upon learning of her passing.   The entertainment business lost a true treasure, we lost a lovely human being, and the animal world lost it's greatest champion.  

I'll stop now.  My computer monitor is getting blurry.  :( 

Sepiatone

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Currently trending on Twitter is a list of OTHER great nonagenarian celebrities that we hope to preserve for 2030, to make up for Betty missing her 100th:

Mel Brooks, Dick Van Dyke, Carol Burnett, Rita Moreno, Barbara Eden, Bob Newhart, Dan Rather, Larry Storch...

(Sophia Loren, Judi Dench, Lily Tomlin and Julie Andrews were suggested for the Endangered Protection list too, but they're only late-80's, and Dolly Parton and Charo were only mid 70's.)

16 hours ago, cineman said:

Found out at work today. 

When people use the expression " They don't make them like that anymore" well, she is an exemplar.

Also they don't make the "Greatest Generation" like that anymore either.  Betty grew up when people were unselfish, had duty to country.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

big fr----- wup! the news media is acting like it's a national day of mourning.

Sure.  It's safe to say whenever we lose a national treasure it calls for that sort of attention. 

Sepiatone

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 3:13 PM, EricJ said:

Currently trending on Twitter is a list of OTHER great nonagenarian celebrities that we hope to preserve for 2030, to make up for Betty missing her 100th:

Mel Brooks, Dick Van Dyke, Carol Burnett, Rita Moreno, Barbara Eden, Bob Newhart, Dan Rather, Larry Storch...

Carol Burnett won't be 100 until 2033.  But here are some other living actors who would turn 100 in or before 2030, and their current ages:

John Astin (91)

Harry Belafonte (94)

Tippi Hedren (91)

Glynis Johns (98)

Angela Lansbury (96)

June Lockhart (96)

Terry Moore (92)

Nancy Olson (93)

Janis Paige (99)

Sidney Poitier (94)

Gena Rowlands (91)

Eva Marie Saint (97)

Robert Wagner (91)

Joanne Woodward (91)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

But here are some other living actors who would turn 100 in or before 2030, and their current ages:

John Astin (91)

By george!--Forgot he was still around, and leading a healthy lifestyle:

ht_JOHN_ASTIN_kb_121026_wblog.jpg

Angela Lansbury's going to make it, though, easy.

I've stayed out of this thread, till now...I guess I was too stunned and saddened. A world without Betty White in it, unthinkable! But her work lives on and will always be with us. Thank goodness.

I thought I'd mention the time I met Betty White. It was in the fall of 1991. I had just moved to Los Angeles to attend the University of Southern California. I had been admitted to the university that summer and was taking my general education courses. But I had not yet been admitted into the school of Cinema-Television. Those courses wouldn't start until my junior year anyway, so I had two years to get accepted into that program. In the meantime I did get accepted into the school of Journalism, which later became known as the Annenberg School for Communication, this would be my back-up plan of study/career.

I did get accepted into the CNTV school going into my third year, and since I had already started taking journalism courses, I decided to double major which meant a lot of extra work for me in order to graduate in four years.

Anyway..while I was still not accepted into the CNTV program, I decided to start going to seminars open to the public around the Los Angeles area to network and make contacts within the industry, since I was a neophyte and new nobody at that early point in the game. At one of these seminars, I met a gal who worked on the primetime series Sisters (the one starring Sela Ward). She had friends who worked on other shows, and she could get me on to the sets of these shows. 

Through my new pal Gina I visited a lot of sets that first year. Sometimes she would ask me if there was a show I liked or a group of people I'd like to meet. Most of the time she would just surprise me.

There was a day in early November I think it was...Gina called and said "I am taking you to The Golden Girls set." I was surprised by this, but a bit excited...and I knew my grandmother in Wisconsin, who was a big fan of Betty White, would approve. 

The Golden Girls had just begun its seventh and final season. Their director that season was a guy named Lex Passaris who ran everything smoothly, with that kind voice of his calling down to the stage from the catwalk above. None of the cast came out to meet the audience members who would be watching the taping, before the show started. This was a very serious group, and I should also mention that there was a metal detector guests walked through, like in an airport, way before these studios had tight security measures in place. I always thought that was meant to allay fears the cast and crew may have had about outsiders coming in. 

During the taping of the episode, most of the cast kept to themselves. Sometimes they had to return to their dressing rooms for costume changes if the next scene took place the following day. I remember problems that occurred during the taping...the script was running short and they had to "pad" it in a few spots to make the scenes longer. Also Estelle Getty, who had not yet been diagnosed with dementia, was probably in the early stages of Alzheimer's and she had a lot of trouble with her lines. 

Anyway, there was one scene that Betty White's character did not appear in, and instead of going back to her dressing room because she was already in costume, she waited downstage by the first row of the audience. Betty loved people, and I think she had been waiting for a chance to come over and sort of socialize with the crowd.

My friend Gina had brought a gift for Betty, and when Betty took it out of the bag, she was pleasantly surprised. It was a sweatshirt that said St. Olaf on it. I think Gina was hoping Betty would wear it in one of the future episodes! I will never forget the sincerity in how she said thank you. Betty was very gracious, then handed the gift to an assistant and went back to work because Lex and the rest of the cast were ready to do the next scene.

This was the only time I went to The Golden Girls set. There were other shows I visited multiple times. The interesting thing is that I'd go to these shows, then I'd call my grandmother in Wisconsin or my mother in Colorado, and I'd tell them to watch such-and-such show when it aired in primetime (usually six to eight weeks later). But I never watched any of the episodes I ever saw being filmed. 

I think I was afraid that if I watched an episode I had seen being made, that it wouldn't be same experience for me as a viewer. And I wanted to cling to my memories of how I had observed something being produced behind the scenes. 

But finally in 2015, I did see this seventh season episode of The Golden Girls that was produced in November 1991. I was surprised how good it turned out, because I still remembered all the issues on the set with it running short and with Estelle getting more and more frustrated. 

It's the one called 'The Pope's Ring.'

• Like 1

The Pope's Ring was a good episode.  I loved the part where Sophia walks past a glass of water on the coffee table, moves her hand in a sweeping motion and says, "Wine!".  Dorothy looks at her disapprovingly, and Sophia responds, "Worth a shot!".  So many good lines on that show to recount.

As for Betty White, I loved her as much, if not more, as Sue Ann Nivens on The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  She had that great scene with Cloris Leachman when Phyllis realized Sue Ann was trying to make a play for her husband, Lars.  Phyllis referred to her as 'The Happy Home Wrecker' instead of 'The Happy Homemaker'!  After the chocolate souffle Sue Ann was making for an upcoming show has collapsed, Phyllis asks in her halting voice, "Tell me...Sue Ann...do you know how to get chocolate stains out of fabric?".  Sue Ann replies, "Why yes, of course!".  Phyllis says, "Good", and dips her finger in the chocolate souffle and flicks it on Sue Ann's blouse!

3 hours ago, midwestan said:

As for Betty White, I loved her as much, if not more, as Sue Ann Nivens on The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  She had that great scene with Cloris Leachman when Phyllis realized Sue Ann was trying to make a play for her husband, Lars.  Phyllis referred to her as 'The Happy Home Wrecker' instead of 'The Happy Homemaker'!  After the chocolate souffle Sue Ann was making for an upcoming show has collapsed, Phyllis asks in her halting voice, "Tell me...Sue Ann...do you know how to get chocolate stains out of fabric?".  Sue Ann replies, "Why yes, of course!".  Phyllis says, "Good", and dips her finger in the chocolate souffle and flicks it on Sue Ann's blouse!

I became a Sue Ann fan after the episode where Mary has to give a party by herself, and goes to the Happy Homemaker set to ask Sue Ann for advice.  Sue Ann, filming her show, is in the middle of taking a pineapple upside-down cake out of the oven, she turns it over, and batter runs all over the counter:  "Well, it looks someone's played a little joke on the Happy Homemaker--Seems one of our interns didn't power up the oven ahead of time...  😄"  

And as the filming goes to commercial--"Annnnd...cut:"
"--All right, who the hell is responsible??"

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:
On 1/1/2022 at 3:12 PM, NipkowDisc said:

big fr----- wup! the news media is acting like it's a national day of mourning.

Sure.  It's safe to say whenever we lose a national treasure it calls for that sort of attention. 

This.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, EricJ said:

I became a Sue Ann fan after the episode where Mary has to give a party by herself, and goes to the Happy Homemaker set to ask Sue Ann for advice.  Sue Ann, filming her show, is in the middle of taking a pineapple upside-down cake out of the oven, she turns it over, and batter runs all over the counter:  "Well, it looks someone's played a little joke on the Happy Homemaker--Seems one of our interns didn't power up the oven ahead of time...  😄"  

And as the filming goes to commercial--"Annnnd...cut:"
"--All right, who the hell is responsible??"

This was just Sue Ann's second appearance.  The first was the one when she was having a fling with Lars.

This is the well-known Dinner Party episode where Sue Ann is the ghost-cook for Mary's fancy dinner party, with Veal Prince Orloff and six people.

When Sue Ann takes out the unbaked strawberry swirl from the non-working oven, she says "Oh shhhh...urely that isn't how a strawberry swirl is supposed to look, is it?"

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

This was just Sue Ann's second appearance.  The first was the one when she was having a fling with Lars.

This is the well-known Dinner Party episode where Sue Ann is the ghost-cook for Mary's fancy dinner party, with Veal Prince Orloff and six people.

When Sue Ann takes out the unbaked strawberry swirl from the non-working oven, she says "Oh shhhh...urely that isn't how a strawberry swirl is supposed to look, is it?"

Sue Ann @ the 6:50 marker-  "God couldn't be everywhere, so he created mothers." 😄

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2022 at 10:33 AM, Fausterlitz said:

Carol Burnett won't be 100 until 2033.  But here are some other living actors who would turn 100 in or before 2030, and their current ages:

John Astin (91)

Harry Belafonte (94)

Tippi Hedren (91)

Glynis Johns (98)

Angela Lansbury (96)

June Lockhart (96)

Terry Moore (92)

Nancy Olson (93)

Janis Paige (99)

Sidney Poitier (94)

Gena Rowlands (91)

Eva Marie Saint (97)

Robert Wagner (91)

Joanne Woodward (91)

Angie Dickinson and her Police Woman costar, Earl Holliman, are also still alive, but it seems like bad juju to be composing such a list. 

1 hour ago, LoyFan said:

it seems like bad juju to be composing such a list. 

Well, I was mainly responding to an already existing list and trying to make it more actor-specific. My intention was not to say "ooh look, all these people are on death's door," like some tacky cover article in the National Enquirer. I sincerely hope all these people live as long as possible, assuming they're healthy enough that doing so isn't a burden for them.  (My own parents are 92 and 95, and I hope the same for them.)

Personally, I find it pleasantly surprising to know that some of these actors are still with us. I do think, however, that all the media disappointment that Betty White "didn't quite make it" to 100 seems oddly misplaced.  Such milestones are largely random and arbitrary, and to view them as either achievements or failures is frankly bizarre.

• Like 1

Decades will pay tribute to Betty White with a weekend binge of "Mary Tyler Moore" episodes, beginning Saturday, January 8 at noon EST and ending Monday morning around sunrise.

the mary tyler moore show remembering betty white tv roles

4 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

Well, I was mainly responding to an already existing list and trying to make it more actor-specific. My intention was not to say "ooh look, all these people are on death's door," like some tacky cover article in the National Enquirer. I sincerely hope all these people live as long as possible, assuming they're healthy enough that doing so isn't a burden for them.  (My own parents are 92 and 95, and I hope the same for them.)

Personally, I find it pleasantly surprising to know that some of these actors are still with us. I do think, however, that all the media disappointment that Betty White "didn't quite make it" to 100 seems oddly misplaced.  Such milestones are largely random and arbitrary, and to view them as either achievements or failures is frankly bizarre.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were saying these actors are on death's doorstep or point a finger at you specifically. I, too, hope they make it to 100.  My comment was sort of a joke, as in discussing the possibility of them living to be 100 is bad luck - a jinx.

My grandmother turned 90 on Dec 29th. Other than mobility issues, she is in good health and mind. However, if she lives another 3 years or so she will run out of money and won't be able to afford to live own her own anymore.  Living to such a ripe old age can have its disadvantages.

On 1/2/2022 at 11:33 AM, Fausterlitz said:

John Astin (91)

Harry Belafonte (94)

Tippi Hedren (91)

Glynis Johns (98)

Angela Lansbury (96)

June Lockhart (96)

Terry Moore (92)

Nancy Olson (93)

Janis Paige (99)

Sidney Poitier (94)

Gena Rowlands (91)

Eva Marie Saint (97)