Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Vanessa Redgrave receives a damehood

jakeem

Didn't see this one coming!

The Academy Award-winning actress Vanessa Redgrave has been designated as a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire on the Queen's annual New Year's Honours list. She has been honored for her services to drama.

Redgrave, a politically outspoken figure who will observe her 85th birthday on January 30, 2022, declined the honor in 1999. A member of a famous British acting dynasty that dates back to the late 19th century, Redgrave's father, Sir Michael Redgrave (1908-1985), was knighted in 1959.

In a 2018 interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Redgrave said she declined her first opportunity to become a dame because of her opposition to then-British Prime Minister Tony Blair's support of the war in Iraq.

Blair also is on the New Year's Honours list and will be knighted sometime during 2022.

Related image

Also receiving a damehood: The 75-year-old actress Joanna Lumley, who starred in the British TV series "The New Avemgers" and "Absolutely Fabulous."

Joanna Lumley says she enjoyed "Mother of the Beast" at Finding Alice -  Eminetra.co.uk

Director John Boorman, whose film credits include "Point Blank," "Deliverance," "Zardoz," "Excalibur" and "Hope and Glory," will be knighted. He turns 89 on January 18. 

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

She’s still alive tho right? 
I can’t take any more shocks today…

Yes. I just hope she accepted the damehood because she's mellowed over time.

It'll be interesting to see if Glenda Jackson -- another politically conscious actress who reportedly declined the honor in the past -- follows suit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

She’s still alive tho right? 
I can’t take any more shocks today…

Yes, she's still with us.  It's part of the rather complicated UK honours system.  One batch comes out every year on January 1.

Daniel Craig also was named a Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George.  Tony Blair and Camilla Parker Bowles are now membesr of the Most Noble Order of the Garter (most senior honour and dates to 1348).

I'm no expert, but I don't think they give out civil honours posthumously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_New_Year_Honours

• Thanks 1

At the 50th Academy Awards ceremony on April 5, 1978, Redgrave won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her performance in the drama "Julia." Known as an ultra-leftist activist, she made a politically tinged acceptance speech, in which she referred to "Zionist hoodlums." It was one of the Oscars' unforgettable moments. 

1 minute ago, jakeem said:

At the 50th Academy Awards ceremony on April 5, 1978, Redgrave won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her performance in the drama "Julia." Known as an ultra-leftist activist, she made a politically tinged acceptance speech, in which she referred to "Zionist hoodlums." It was one of the Oscars' unforgettable moments. 

A year or so later she was in a CBS TV movie called Playing for Time, about a female orchestra ,organized in Auschwitz and made up of female prisoners.   Because of her views on Israel and Palestine, there were lots of protests and complaints about the casting, including from the author of the book on which the film is based.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have a feeling that particular reply would go something rather like this:

You're probably on target with this. In 1992, Jackson turned away from acting and was elected to Parliament as a Labour candidate, representing the London constituency of Hampstead and Kilburn. 

In April 2013, she made worldwide headlines after the death of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. During a special debate in the House of Commons, she harshly criticized Thatcher's policies, and said that greed and selfishness were seen as virtues during the late PM's administration.

Jackson has since returned to acting,

Image result for glenda jackson campaigns for Parliament

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Zionist  hoodlums. Good one. There ain't nothing like a dame.

Redgrave was referring to members of the Jewish Defense League who were picketing her nomination outside the Oscars ceremony. The JDL objected to her funding and narrating “The Palestinian,” a 1977 documentary about the Palestinians’ situation and the activities of the Palestinian Liberation Organization.

They seem to give these out like Halloween candy now to any British actor or aging rock star, as if these people didn't already have enough deference paid to them.  Not impressed.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I saw "Playing for Time" when it debuted in 1980.  It was incredibly powerful and moving.

The magnificent cast included, along with Redgrave in the lead role, Jane Alexander, Shirley Knight, Marisa Berenson, Vivica Lindfors and other.

Fania Fenelon publicly opposed the casting of Redgrave,  saying that "She can't be me."

Definitely worth viewing, if available; I have a VHS tape somewhere. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jakeem said:

Redgrave was referring to members of the Jewish Defense League who were picketing her nomination outside the Oscars ceremony. The JDL objected to her funding and narrating “The Palestinian,” a 1977 documentary about the Palestinians’ situation and the activities of the Palestinian Liberation Organization.

Yes, I  vaguely  recall  the controversy about it. OTOH  if it was  applied  to a certain country in the Middle  East, I don't think Redgrave

would disagree. She looked  very fetching in Murder on the Orient Express a few nights  ago. 

I seem  to recall  reading  that  Smantha  Fox had  breast reduction  surgery a number  of  years  ago.

I wish  I could  remember some of the headlines the British tabloids used  at the time. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, jakeem said:

You're probably on target with this. In 1992, Jackson turned away from acting and was elected to Parliament as a Labour candidate, representing the London constituency of Hampstead and Kilburn. 

In April 2013, she made worldwide headlines after the death of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. During a special debate in the House of Commons, she harshly criticized Thatcher's policies, and said that greed and selfishness were seen as virtues during the late PM's administration.

Jackson has since returned to acting,

Image result for glenda jackson campaigns for Parliament

I remember that. Her diatribe was filmed. One user at the now-gone Classic Film board at IMDb called it the Best Performance by a Leading Actress in 2013.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I seem  to recall  reading  that  Smantha  Fox had  breast reduction  surgery a number  of  years  ago.

I wish  I could  remember some of the headlines the British tabloids used  at the time. 

Well, those babies were once insured for £1,000,000 apiece!