Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Awards season 2022

jakeem

jltNN1hQ_bigger.jpg

So much about the future of the film industry remains in limbo. But it’s hard to be too pessimistic when one sees the movies themselves. Here are the best movies of 2021

• Thanks 1

THIS YEAR'S GOLDEN GLOBES WILL NOT BE TELEVISED!!!

As reported by New York Channel 7 reporters, the Associated Press had trouble booking presenters. According to Channel 7 news, Variety reports that The  Hollywood Foreign Press had trouble booking celebrity presenters for the show after reports revealed they have not included a Black member in two decades. 

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

They should just do this for all the awards shows this winter instead of trying to reschedule, reschedule, reschedule. It seems they have to pour more money into making the events "COVID-safe" than just losing the money from programming them online. 

Po8lHinI_bigger.jpeg

Golden Globes to Be Held as “Private Event” With No Livestream Available

Following an announcement that there would be no red carpet or celebrity guests, the HFPA confirmed that this year's #GoldenGlobes  will be private with winners announced only online

• Thanks 1

The National Society of Film Critics, whose membership includes many of the nation's top movie reviewers, selected "Drive My Car" as its best picture of 2021. The Japanese film was directed and co-written by Ryusuke Hamaguchi, who won awards for Best Director and the movie's screenplay.

His Best Director award also recognized his other acclaimed film -- "Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy."

Hidetoshi Nishijima, who starred as a theater producer in "Drive My Car" was named Best Actor.

In view of the Best Picture honors for "Drive My Car," the organization did not select a Best Foreign Language Film.

The 60 members of the organization voted using a virtual format on Saturday.

See the source image

The overall results from the organization's 56th annual meeting are as follows (point totals are in parentheses):

BEST PICTURE:

1. "Drive My Car" (48 points)

2. "Petite Maman" (25)

3. "The Power of the Dog" (23)

BEST DIRECTOR: 

1. Ryusuke Hamaguchi, "Drive My Car" and "Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy" (46 points)

2. Jane Campion, "The Power of the Dog" (36)

3. Céline Sciamma, "Petite Maman"  (28)

BEST ACTOR:

1. Hidetoshi Nishijima, "Drive My Car" (63 points)

2. Benedict Cumberbatch, "The Power of the Dog" (44)

3. Simon Rex, "Red Rocket" (30)

BEST ACTRESS:

1. Penélope Cruz, "Parallel Mothers" (55 points)

2. Renate Reinsve, "The Worst Person in the World" (42)

3. Alana Haim, "Licorice Pizza" (32)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:

1. Anders Danielsen Lie, "The Worst Person in the World" (54 points)

2.  Vincent Lindon, "Titane" (33)

3. (tie) Mike Faist, "West Side Story" and Kodi Smit-McPhee, "The Power of the Dog"(26)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: 

1. Ruth Negga, "Passing" (46 points)

2. Ariana DeBose, "West Side Story" (22)

3. Jessie Buckley, "The Lost Daughter" (21)

BEST SCREENPLAY:

1. Ryusuke Hamaguchi and Takamasa Oe, "Drive My Car" (46 points)

2. Pedro Almodóvar, "Parallel Mothers" (22)

3. Paul Thomas Anderson, "Licorice Pizza" (20)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:

1. Andrew Droz Palermo, "The Green Knight" (52 points)

2. Ari Wegner, "The Power of the Dog" (40)

3. Sayombhu Mukdeeprom, "Memoria" (35)

BEST NON-FICTION FILM:

1. "Flee" (41)

2. (tie) "Procession"  and "The Velvet Undergound (28)

Film Heritage Award: To Maya Cade for the Black Film Archive, which expands knowledge of and access to Black films made between 1915 and 1979, and includes her critical essays that define the project and consider the films in relation to each other and to the cinema overall.

Film Heritage Award: To the late Bertrand Tavernier and Peter Bogdanovich, distinguished critic-filmmakers who never lost their passion for other people’s movies and film history. Both crowned their careers with invaluable chronicles of their engagement with the cinema: Tavernier with the books “50 Years of American Cinema and American Friends,” and Bogdanovich with the books “Who the Devil Made It” and “Who the Hell’s In It?”

Special Citation for a Film Awaiting American Distribution: Jean-Gabriel Périot’s documentary “Returning to Reims,” which draws on Didier Eribon’s 2009 memoir about his French hometown and the inequities of class and education that shaped him and his family.