Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thoughts on TCM after the Sept. 1 change

7 minutes ago, overeasy said:

And excuse me for being dense, but does someone think that the much-desired younger demo is going to watch/not watch because the music and graphics are different?  Please!  People either like the movies or not.  End of story.

Yes, the heart of the matter.

I'll bet this strategy sounded really good in the board room. The corporate version of beer goggles.

3 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

Yes, the heart of the matter.

I'll bet this strategy sounded really good in the board room. The corporate version of beer goggles.

Yup.  When I worked in TV years ago, there was a truism;  when the ratings fell a new News Director was brought in, the station would inevitably change the main news set.  Just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.  (1953 version, of course...)  This is the very same thing....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah:

"Let's do something."

"OK, what did you have in mind?"

"I don't know. Just...SOMETHING."

Well, mission accomplished.

They rejected my idea, though. I suggested getting one of those machines that launch tennis balls for people practicing solo on a tennis court. Just load that sucker up, and when it comes time to tape the bumpers, point it towards the set and turn it on.

• Like 1

I really hate the changes. I wish TCM stayed the same. But I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Could of been worse I guess.

i love those original TCM logos. I miss those. I wish they kept those.

I really miss the old TCM. I really miss Robert Osbourne too. He was a very special person. He was one of a kind. 

I don’t like the direction the channel has headed. Now it’s all about left-wing politics.

I wish the channel wasn’t  political. You know identity politics and stuff like that. Never use to be like this in the past. 

TCM used to be the channel to go to to escape the crazy world of today. It’s sad.

as long as the black and white movies and studio era films are shown , I’ll tune in. But I’ll tune out those new “hosts”. 

I really want to like Eddie Muller. He’s not political. I appreciate his knowledge on the film noir films.

TCM underground just needs to die and the stupid wine club. 

• Thanks 1

I just hate the rat-a-tat "music." Also the squiggles and neon colors. It feels like The Powers That Be took the makeover project to some company, and said, "Give us a new look," and the company made everything the same, thinking to create a unified thing. But the problem is, TCM is not a Taco Bell or a Bank. As Overeasy mentioned, there are countless themes and different sorts of films to be enjoyed--Noir, Comedy, Musicals, Documentaries, History, Silent Movies etc etc... The new style of the channel seems completely inappropriate, in my opinion. And one more thing--instead of the constantly moving backgrounds behind the host, how about hanging some classic movie posters on the wall (and stopping the nausea-inducing movement)?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, unwatchable said:

I share your sentiments. There's no denying that those in charge at TCM have allowed their personal political views to contaminate a channel that's supposed to be for all people who love classic films.

I don't think it's personal, it's most likely a corporate edict;  YOU WILL BE MORE INCLUSIVE.  Or whatever term they want to use!  The hosts just say what they're told to say and I'm certain their scripts get approved before they are shot -- so no one should hold them responsible for any of the non-movie content.  I just keep hoping that this too shall pass over time...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

To each his own. The one with the elderly Chinese couple recreating “I’ll have what she’s having” is just nauseating and disgusting to me. I can’t stand that one. I actually had to check to make sure I was watching TCM because of how gross and off color it was. 

24 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

To each his own. The one with the elderly Chinese couple recreating “I’ll have what she’s having” is just nauseating and disgusting to me. I can’t stand that one. I actually had to check to make sure I was watching TCM because of how gross and off color it was. 

Did you find the original movie scene 'just nauseating and disgusting'?    The dialog is exactly the same (I believe it is a voice-over from the movie).

If no; why?  Because the couple is elderly?     Hey,  I didn't really find it funny,  like the scene in the film,  but I didn't find it gross.

2 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Did you find the original movie scene 'just nauseating and disgusting'?    The dialog is exactly the same (I believe it is a voice-over from the movie).

If yes; why?  Because the couple is elderly?     Hey,  I didn't really find it funny,  like the scene in the film,  but I didn't find it gross.

It is probably considered “ageist” but yes, that is why. It doesn’t even have a clever twist or anything. It’s just two elderly people recreating the scene which was already really awkward to begin with. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

It is probably considered “ageist” but yes, that is why. It doesn’t even have a clever twist or anything. It’s just two elderly people recreating the scene which was already really awkward to begin with. 

I hear you;  I saw this with my over 85 year old Japanese mom and she said "that was disgusting,  but at least they were Chinese".

(and for me Meg Ryan made the scene in the film funny).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1