Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Programming lately


j.hsimms
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am so disappointed in the programming lately.  Why so many repeats and virtually unknown movies. Why can't you show some really good movies like, Keys to the Kingdom, So Big, The Fighting Sullivans,? the one where all five boys go to war. I love TCM but lately haven't watched any of the movies they show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you!  I remember the REASON why cable was invented…and that was to pay for TV to avoid commercials.  TCM became a favorite because of their not showing commercials, but the constant repetition of movies is too, too much!  If they show the Philadelphia Story once more, I’ll freaking SCREAM!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, now this may be a valid complaint. We all used to laugh on here about 10 years ago about the constant showings of North by Northwest. But I think generally, there's a lot lower incident of reruns on TCM than elsewhere. I used to get HBO, and boy when they had a hot Warners property like the latest Harry Potter film, they would easily show it 20 or 30 times in one month. TCM has never done that, at least in the 20 years I've been watching. Generally, I try to "write out" the schedule for each month on here, though I usually burn out about halfway into the month. I don't know that I've ever seen any single movie scheduled to air more than three times in a single month. If that causes you that much rage, you should probably seek your movies elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, sure.  I recall in the early cable years(at least in my community, which didn't get cable until '82) I managed(with the help of a neighbor) to "bootleg" the premium channels like HBO, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX and TMC.  And really, there's be more repeats of some movies in ONE WEEK than TCM would have in a year.  I remember one time watching THE GODFATHER six nights in a row!  So this recent spat of repeats on TCM is no big deal.  

Sepiatone

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every time I see something about the repetitious screenings I remember I've been watching TCM for close to 30 years. And likely have seen nearly all of the library titles by now. Every once in a while a rare title screens which actually surprises and delights me.  The Big Punch  (1948) was one such recent title. Likely never having been screened for at least the last 14 years.

The major problem regarding the repetition of titles, seems to me, is that TCM never had a real viability plan to delve deeper into the vaults of FOX, UNIVERSAL and subsequently PARAMOUNT.

Nor has TCM gone into poverty row heaven to seek decent prints of films from the 1930's and 1940 that are in the public domain, And there are hundreds of those.

There are numerous RKO pictures with rights issues that have not been shown. SCATTERGOOD BAINES anyone? Where are the Edgar Kennedy shorts?

It seemed there was a time when TCM was willing to throw money into obtaining obscure or rights issue titles but I don't see that anymore.

It does take money to rent these titles or do the research, etc to clear films with rights issues.  I don't know how much wine they'd have to sell to do this but I wish we had a TCM GO FUND ME page to find out!!!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/9/2022 at 10:40 AM, Jaba said:

Thank you!  I remember the REASON why cable was invented…and that was to pay for TV to avoid commercials.  TCM became a favorite because of their not showing commercials, but the constant repetition of movies is too, too much!  If they show the Philadelphia Story once more, I’ll freaking SCREAM!

Actually cable was invented to provide TV services to people who lived too far away from the broadcast towers to get good reception.  It always showed whatever commercials the networks were showing.  Then , someone decided to invent HBO and similar to show on cable - for  a fee.   Before he created TCM, Ted Turner created WTBS(?) TV station in Atlanta, GA and had it "distrbuted" on cable systems.

Almost all cable networks/channels have advertising.  TCM is the only one that does not to my knowledge.  HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc. are "free," but you have to pay a monthly fee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Actually cable was invented to provide TV services to people who lived too far away from the broadcast towers to get good reception.  It always showed whatever commercials the networks were showing.  Then , someone decided to invent HBO and similar to show on cable - for  a fee.   Before he created TCM, Ted Turner created WTBS(?) TV station in Atlanta, GA and had it "distrbuted" on cable systems.

Almost all cable networks/channels have advertising.  TCM is the only one that does not to my knowledge.  HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc. are "free," but you have to pay a monthly fee.

Yes.  When it started in the late 40s and early 50s, it was called Community Antenna Television (CATV), which is why cable used that acronym for many years.   My parents were subscribers as soon as they bought their first TV in 1955.  The town we lived in was 100 miles from major cities, and though we had two local stations, in order to get all 3 broadcast networks available back then (plus NET - later PBS), you had to get cable.  With cable, we got 3 CBS stations, 3 NBC stations, 2 ABC stations and 2 NET/PBS stations, plus a couple of independent stations.  It wasn't until TV distribution via C-band satellite in the 1970s become more affordable that we got pay TV stations (like HBO and Showtime) and the so-called superstations (WTBS-17 Atlanta, WOR-9 NYC and WGN-9 Chicago) and other networks like MSG, ESPN and Nickelodeon. 

That was back when add-on services like HBO and Showtime didn't start until the prime-time hours in the evening,  and many networks shared channels, broadcasting only part of the day before handing off to another network in the evening.  Nickelodeon was like this, starting out as a daytime-only service (Star Channel/The Movie Channel used its slot in the evening at start-up - later it was occupied by ARTS, which later became A&E).  Nickelodeon also carried no advertising until the mid-80s.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

there is a lotta cheap stuff out there that tcm could get a hold of and show like Hot Spell and the K. Gordon Murray mexican horror imports.

some of those churubusca-azteca mexican flicks are visually astounding but tcm ignores them like the stupid slackers they prefer to be.

 

they could show the bloody vampire and it's sequel invasion of the vampires with Carlos Agosti as Count Siegfreid Von Frankenhausen!

or

Abel Salazar in Curse of the crying woman.

those beloved gems are out there but tcm dedicates themselves to starving their cable viewers.

it just ain't right.

in curse of the crying woman you have this evil witch who likes to sic her killer great danes on hapless passersby.

:)

THE CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN, (LA MALDICION DE LA LLORONA, aka LA CASA  EMBRUJADA), Rita Macedo, 1963 Stock Photo - Alamy

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

there is a lotta cheap stuff out there that tcm could get a hold of and show like Hot Spell and the K. Gordon Murray mexican horror imports.

some of those churubusca-azteca mexican flicks are visually astounding but tcm ignores them like the stupid slackers they prefer to be.

 

they could show the bloody vampire and it's sequel invasion of the vampires with Carlos Agosti as Count Siegfreid Von Frankenhausen!

or

Abel Salazar in Curse of the crying woman.

those beloved gems are out there but tcm dedicates themselves to starving their cable viewers.

it just ain't right.

in curse of the crying woman you have this evil witch who likes to sic her killer great danes on hapless passersby.

:)

THE CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN, (LA MALDICION DE LA LLORONA, aka LA CASA  EMBRUJADA), Rita Macedo, 1963 Stock Photo - Alamy

NipkowDisc,

I totally agree with you and share your taste for Mexican horror movies. Some of them are available on other movie channels. The Bloody Vampire is available on Amazon Prime, as is Doctor of Doom (Las Luchadoras contra el Médico Asesino).

Sixteen years ago, a "boutique" DVD outfit, CasaNegra Entertainment, released several Mexican chillers -- including Curse of the Crying Woman -- in gorgeous presentations. Unfortunately, CasaNegra Entertainment had a brief -- but glorious -- existence. If you are an admirador of Mexican horror movies, the CasaNegra releases are well worth hunting for and acquiring.

Regarding the image accompanying your post, the filmmakers of Curse of the Crying Woman were obviously influenced by Black Sunday (La Maschera del Demonio), directed by Mario Bava.

013556-9.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

there is a lotta cheap stuff out there that tcm could get a hold of and show like Hot Spell and the K. Gordon Murray mexican horror imports.

some of those churubusca-azteca mexican flicks are visually astounding but tcm ignores them like the stupid slackers they prefer to be.

 

they could show the bloody vampire and it's sequel invasion of the vampires with Carlos Agosti as Count Siegfreid Von Frankenhausen!

or

Abel Salazar in Curse of the crying woman.

those beloved gems are out there but tcm dedicates themselves to starving their cable viewers.

it just ain't right.

in curse of the crying woman you have this evil witch who likes to sic her killer great danes on hapless passersby.

:)

THE CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN, (LA MALDICION DE LA LLORONA, aka LA CASA  EMBRUJADA), Rita Macedo, 1963 Stock Photo - Alamy

 

 

If you've seen these movies, then you don't need TCM to show them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2022 at 8:41 PM, slaytonf said:

If you've seen these movies, then you don't need TCM to show them.

What the heck does that mean?!

If you've seen a movie, then it doesn't need to be shown on TCM?!

So what should TCM show? Only movies that people haven't seen? Only movies that you think they should show?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2022 at 2:24 PM, NipkowDisc said:

Abel Salazar in Curse of the crying woman.

in curse of the crying woman you have this evil witch who likes to sic her killer great danes on hapless passersby.

:)

I think Curse of the Crying Woman, which features evil Aunt Selmawould be good on a triple bill with Auntie Mame and Aunt Clara (starring Margaret Rutherford), a series devoted to different types of aunts.

I love Mexican horror films. I wish someone would locate the dubbed version of The Black Pit of Dr. M (1959), which is the best, though the subtitled version is fine, too. Regarding repeats, they don't bother me. They give people who don't have the ability to record, the opportunity to see the films.  It was Million Dollar Movie which introduced me to classic films as a kid, and they showed the same film over and over for a week (and that was before 24-hour television)!

image-w1280.jpg?size=800x

tumblr_op0befrhjI1rne776o4_250sq.gifv

The Black Pit of Dr. M

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't mind it too much, but maybe the mods should create a single sticky thread for such complaints and merge new ones into it so they're all in one place and they can commiserate.  All the many threads really add nothing new to the discussion.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I don't mind it too much, but maybe the mods should create a single sticky thread for such complaints and merge new ones into it so they're all in one place and they can commiserate.  All the many threads really add nothing new to the discussion.

Thank you, Tex!

Been sayin' this website should have created a separate "TCM Programming Complaint Dept." forum for many moons now, myself.

Yeah, put those Mods to use for somethin' OTHER than just correcting our "questionable language" and moving/combining threads I say, and so newbies, and in almost all cases with these newbies turning out to be "one post wonders" can vent their displeasure with whatever they feel TCM is showing and that isn't floating their boat somehow.

(...RIGHT ON, dude!!!)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/2/2022 at 2:39 AM, j.hsimms said:

I am so disappointed in the programming lately.  Why so many repeats and virtually unknown movies. Why can't you show some really good movies like, Keys to the Kingdom, So Big, The Fighting Sullivans,? the one where all five boys go to war. I love TCM but lately haven't watched any of the movies they show.

Hmm. If you don't like repeats OR virtually unknown movies, then you must only want movies that are somewhat unknown and not shown very often? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

Hmm. If you don't like repeats OR virtually unknown movies, then you must only want movies that are somewhat unknown and not shown very often? 

That's a  good one!    How can a movie be known if it isn't repeated! 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...