Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tonight's Kay Francis intros... That was interesting...

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I wish they had put Kay on another day. Because of MLK Day they are skipping a week for her, thus cramming 10-12 films on the other nights to make up for it! Ok if you dont work or you dont mind getting up early to watch into the next afternoon! I don't like this.

This is one of the first times I can remember them running over into the next month, with 4 Kay Francis films on the morning of February 1 after an all-nighter on the 31st.

29 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Thanks! I'll have to find time off work to watch it though. No computer at home.

I didn't know Girls About Town was originally scheduled to play on TCM. It is not out on any format as far as I know. Kino has been putting out a bunch of the old Universals on Blu, so I looked on their site and as of yet it has not been announced if there is anything in the works.

I didnt either until it was mentioned in the SOTM article as being one of the films shown. Maybe it'll show up at a later date (if they are still working it out). Sigh.

7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Do you know what's being broadcast after midnight on the 1st? I wasn't sure if Oscar films were starting at 6am or midnight.

The Oscars are delayed this year until March, so February is a normal month for TCM (imagine 31 Days of Oscar in a month with 31 days!).  The daytime theme on the 1st is "Big Family Drama", with Home from the Hill and Giant coming on after the Kay films are finished.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Wonderful! I havent been keeping up. But what are the Kay films being shown after midnight? Do you know?

Here's the schedule, beginning with prime time on the 31st:

(Kay Francis theme)

2022-01-31  08:00 PM   drama    I Found Stella Parish (1935)
    2022-01-31  09:45 PM   drama    For the Defense (1930)
    2022-01-31  11:00 PM   susp     Guilty Hands (1931)
    2022-02-01  12:30 AM   drama    Confession (1937)
    2022-02-01  02:15 AM   drama    The House on 56th Street (1933)
    2022-02-01  03:30 AM   drama    Mary Stevens, M.D. (1933)
    2022-02-01  05:00 AM   drama    In Name Only (1939)
    2022-02-01  07:00 AM   drama    Dr. Monica (1934)
    2022-02-01  08:15 AM   romance  Give Me Your Heart (1936)
    2022-02-01  10:00 AM   crime    King of the Underworld (1939)
    2022-02-01  11:15 AM   drama    Passion Flower (1930)

("Big Family Drama" theme)

2022-02-01  01:00 PM   drama    Home from the Hill (1960)
    2022-02-01  04:15 PM   drama    Giant (1956)

1 minute ago, cmovieviewer said:

Here's the schedule, beginning with prime time on the 31st:

(Kay Francis theme)

2022-01-31  08:00 PM   drama    I Found Stella Parish (1935)
    2022-01-31  09:45 PM   drama    For the Defense (1930)
    2022-01-31  11:00 PM   susp     Guilty Hands (1931)
    2022-02-01  12:30 AM   drama    Confession (1937)
    2022-02-01  01:15 AM   drama    The House on 56th Street (1933)
    2022-02-01  03:30 AM   drama    Mary Stevens, M.D. (1933)
    2022-02-01  05:00 AM   drama    In Name Only (1939)
    2022-02-01  07:00 AM   drama    Dr. Monica (1934)
    2022-02-01  08:15 AM   romance  Give Me Your Heart (1936)
    2022-02-01  10:00 AM   crime    King of the Underworld (1939)
    2022-02-01  11:15 AM   drama    Passion Flower (1930)

("Big Family Drama" theme)

2022-02-01  01:00 PM   drama    Home from the Hill (1960)
    2022-02-01  04:15 PM   drama    Giant (1956)

Thanks! Am glad at least they are showing Confession. She has a good heavy role in In Name Only too.

Karger has almost no screen presence.  Compare his style to that of Eddie, who seems relaxed and very sure of himself.  And Ben. And....

His CV made be broad when it comes to modern TV and magazine "stuff," but it doesn't translate to a classic movie channel, where we've come to expect a higher standard.  

Everyone has a different take on the hosts, and so it's no surprise that people differ in their opinions.  For reasons I don't get, many people don't like Ben, who I find to be a great, friendly, funny talent.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 9:14 PM, overeasy said:

Karger has almost no screen presence.  Compare his style to that of Eddie, who seems relaxed and very sure of himself.  And Ben. And....

His CV made be broad when it comes to modern TV and magazine "stuff," but it doesn't translate to a classic movie channel, where we've come to expect a higher standard.  

Everyone has a different take on the hosts, and so it's no surprise that people differ in their opinions.  For reasons I don't get, many people don't like Ben, who I find to be a great, friendly, funny talent.

The whole Kay SOTM presentation was an epic FAIL! Karger doesn't know what he's talking about half the time. It's clear he knows little about Kay Francis and his wraparounds were full of inaccuracies and misstatements. I'm sure he didnt write the copy, but you'd think he'd at least do some research on what he was given to say. That comment about Kay sleeping around was tasteless and unnecessary. Would a host talk like that about a male SOTM? (Sleeping around?) This stuff would have never gone past RO when he was around. He KNEW what he was talking about! SAD.

Why pick Kay as SOTM and then belittle her in the commentary? Like she's some embarrassment to them?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

The whole Kay SOTM presentation was an epic FAIL! Karger doesn't know what he's talking about half the time. It's clear he knows little about Kay Francis and his wraparounds were full of inaccuracies and misstatements. I'm sure he didnt write the copy, but you'd think he'd at least do some research on what he was given to say. That comment about Kay sleeping around was tasteless and unnecessary. Would a host talk like that about a male SOTM? (Sleeping around?) This stuff would have never gone past RO when he was around. He KNEW what he was talking about! SAD.

Why pick Kay as SOTM and then belittle her in the commentary? Like she's some embarrassment to them?

Wow. I missed that, probably because I try to mute the in-between stuff, like their incessant spots talking about how great they are.  Out of all of them I like Eddie but when he said that Clark Gable actually raped Loretta Young I almost choked on a pepperoni.  Since these intros aren't live, I don't understand why they can't be edited?

23 hours ago, Hibi said:

Last night it was like Karger was  searching for something to say;   It sure did fall flat.     Oh, well,  at least we have the films!     

I can somewhat understand why Karger felt the need to bring up Bette Davis when talking about Kay.     Note that went Davis when on strike in Britain, Jack Warner really did open up to get her to come back to Hollywood and the studio.    Warner was already regretting signing Kay to a long term contract at a fixed weekly salary,  and him having to appease all-things-Bette impacted Kay's career as well as all the actresses at WB. 

As for Confession:   Jane Bryan was the young newcomer for the studio and in 1937 she appeared with Kay in this film,  and with Bette Davis in Mark Women and Kid Galahad.   Karger should have mentioned Bryan as having a short career:   Bryan retired in 1940 at the age of 22!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Last night it was like Karger was  searching for something to say;   It sure did fall flat.     Oh, well,  at least we have the films!     

I can somewhat understand why Karger felt the need to bring up Bette Davis when talking about Kay.     Note that when Davis when on strike in Britain, Jack Warner really did open up to get her to come back to Hollywood and the studio.    Warner was already regretting signing Kay to a long term contract at a fixed weekly salary,  and him having to appease all-things-Bette impacted Kay's career as well as all the actresses at WB. 

As for Confession:   Jane Bryan was the young newcomer for the studio and in 1937 she appeared with Kay in this film,  and with Bette Davis in Mark Women and Kid Galahad.   Karger should have mentioned Bryan as having a short career:   Bryan retired in 1940 at the age of 22!

Yes, that is a short career. Not Kay's!

1 hour ago, Katie_G said:

Wow. I missed that, probably because I try to mute the in-between stuff, like their incessant spots talking about how great they are.  Out of all of them I like Eddie but when he said that Clark Gable actually raped Loretta Young I almost choked on a pepperoni.  Since these intros aren't live, I don't understand why they can't be edited?

Too much trouble probably. I'm sure the hosts do many of them in one day. With RO he actually knew a lot of these people, or knew people who worked with them etc. These younger hosts have no idea and rely on researchers who are sloppy and often are just plain wrong. I don't expect them to know as much as RO, but would think the people who do research would do a better job. The days of RO are gone. He's really missed. I think Alicia does have knowledge, but Dave NSM.

I've never bought that rape allegation about Gable. It's a second hand story from someone who's dead (Young) reportedly told to her daughter in law (so she says). No way to prove it one way or the other (that she said that). And if she did, I doubt it's the truth! If Gable raped her why would she agree to co-star with him a decade or so later and invite him to her house?

• Like 1

Totally agree and just a look at her daughter on her bio book as she was a mature woman you knew right away she was Gable's and a perfect mix  of Gable & Young as far as the revisionist story this is HS....

• Like 1

"Why pick Kay as SOTM and then belittle her in the commentary? Like she's some embarrassment to them?"

Exactly!  And I can't stand this carping over her acting cred.  She brought it in every film.  While too many remember her as nothing more than a melodramatic clothes horse, she was so much more.  Her turn in Jewel Robbery alone shows her range and how she could hold her own with Bill Powell.   I never miss one of her films.  She is the real deal....

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hibi said:

That comment about Kay sleeping around was tasteless and unnecessary.

After hearing Karger's comments I was curious enough to see if any of her diaries were published.  Apparently there were two Kay Francis biographies that came out around the same time.

Her diaries are available for scholarly research and some of the material from them can be found on line. Some of what I read seemed a bit tawdry and put her in a different light. There are few interesting entries that might surprise a few people. I was kind of taken aback simply because she has been quoted as saying, "I can't wait to be forgotten." and yet she donated her diaries rather than burn them!

I refer you to this website.  I found the two entries below pretty eye-opening.

https://kayfrancisfilms.com/a-kay-francis-chonology/

January 4. After performing some scenes from Living on Velvet with George Brent, Kay has a one night stand with her leading man. She writes, “He told me afterwards that I had helped him tremendously and that he appreciated that. Big f---ing! And he got the jitters.”

May 1. After throwing a party for Charles K. Feldman, Kay takes him back to her house for sex. “Slept with him and he may be the best of them all!” she told her diary. “Christ, I am a s-l-u-t!”  (Dashes are mine so you can read what she wrote without being immediately edited by this message board.)

Yes, her diaries are in the Mary Astor mold. She was quite the sexual adventuress in her prime. Although Kay was quoted as saying that when she left Warners, I think she'd be pleased she's been rediscovered (thanks to TCM). And she has NOT been forgotten.

Be that as it may, I still think it was tacky of Karger to say that in his commentary. I can't remember any host saying that about a SOTM. And what does it have to do with her films anyway? He could have at least worded it better (or whoever wrote his script).

11 hours ago, overeasy said:

"Why pick Kay as SOTM and then belittle her in the commentary? Like she's some embarrassment to them?"

Exactly!  And I can't stand this carping over her acting cred.  She brought it in every film.  While too many remember her as nothing more than a melodramatic clothes horse, she was so much more.  Her turn in Jewel Robbery alone shows her range and how she could hold her own with Bill Powell.   I never miss one of her films.  She is the real deal....

TOTALLY AGREE.  She elevated most of the material she starred in.  Even in B films, she's always watchable. And in A stuff like Lubitsch, she shined. It's too bad that Warners didnt give her better scripts. I think she had more range than she was given credit for.

• Like 1

All I can say about hearing about some of those intros regarding Kay Francis is that they sound painful. Especially the sleeping around part. Just to look again at Trouble in Paradise, One Way Passage,  or Jewel Robbery, or even that thankless role of hers in In Name Only, just to name a handful of films, shows that there is real talent to talk about, so they should cut out the National Enquirer like antics 

I think its in part because Karger isn't as familiar with earlier periods, and possibly also because the writers think maybe a bit of scandal will draw in audiences (maybe). That said, its not appropriate.

As for Karger and John Hughes, given that he said he was in college when Children of a Lesser God was released, he was likely in high school when Sixteen Candles and Breakfast Club were released, and I know very well that they really struck a nerve with teen audiences both of the time and since, though Sixteen is on the outs  somewhat now due to reasons that include what KingRat mentions above. i have seen six out of Hughes' 8 films;they have their moments, they certainly are heartfelt at time, but none of his films were a fully even experience. All of them had things that could have been trimmed or cut, and frankly, his best ever scene in one of his films (the anxious montage in She's Having a Baby) was achieved not so much by his talent, but was because of the effect of a heartbreaker of a song written for the film by Kate Bush. So, if Karger had been a few years older, Hughes likely would not have the same relevance for him. 

As for hundreds of better directors, Kay worked with one of the very best of all directors, Ernst Lubitsch. Other great directors of the Hollywood classic age : Wilder, Minnelli, Preminger, Huston, Mamouillion, Leisen, Cukor, Hitchcock, Curtiz, Lang, many others too. They are worthy of being called the best.

-------------

As for the Loretta/Clark affair, the intro is not the only TCM related element to bring up rape. TCM published a book called "This Was Hollywood" that reiterates the same story. So I guess that in this era of # metoo, it is now the officially sanctioned story, although none of us will ever know if it was true or not. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kay's Roman garb in I Found Stella Parish suggests that she was about as flat-chested as Constance Bennett, another top star of the same era. Was this the desired silhouette of the time, or is it simply that before Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe a woman need not be buxom to be a star?

2 minutes ago, King Rat said:

Kay's Roman garb in I Found Stella Parish suggests that she was about as flat-chested as Constance Bennett, another top star of the same era. Was this the desired silhouette of the time, or is it simply that before Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe a woman need not be buxom to be a star?

I think Billy Wilder said in the fifties 'tittism has taken over the country'

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, King Rat said:

The 1920s "flapper's" silhouette was flat chested, which, in part, seemed to carry over into the '30s as many stars of that era were small breasted. What stands out in the '30s is, even after the code was enforced by '35, you still see a lot of stars braless in sheer tops in movies the '30s and '40s. It's funny that, somehow, that made it past the code, but even married couples needed separate beds (usually). It also shows that female stars were confidently flat chested as they weren't hiding the fact or trying to artificially enhance themselves on screen. Myrna Loy is another great example of that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2022 at 10:31 AM, Hibi said:

This stuff would have never gone past RO when he was around. He KNEW what he was talking about! SAD.

I've actually stated on numerous threads that I found Robert Osborne rather gossipy in tone, often delighting in recounting the bedroom antics of the stars of the movies rather than the movies themselves.