Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gravesites of the Stars & Hollywood Cemeteries

Katie_G

Individual graves are welcome as well.   It was hard to view Carnival Story without thinking of Steve Cochran's disturbing demise.  I wondered where he was buried, and lo and behold, he's almost in my backyard in Monterey!   Why, I have no idea, except that he owned a sailing yacht and perhaps enjoyed the area.

01cochran.jpg.21acc8b76e389268876f40e3eae8484d.jpg...01cochran3.jpg.e75a40e98d21c7a8b433a3ab5418adfd.jpg

He was handsome and starred in many films, almost always as a bad guy, and lived kind of an Errol Flynn type life, having affairs with many of his leading ladies.  

Private_hell_36.JPG

*Warning*  The rest of the story isn't so pretty.   By the time he was 48, his hard living was catching up to him, and roles were drying up.  He took his yacht down to Guatemala to scout locations with just three Mexican ladies (one was 14) aboard.  He became ill and died, with what was later determined a lung infection.  None of the women knew how to sail the ship and they drifted for 10 days with his decomposing corpse in one of the rooms.  Personally I think a burial-at-sea would not have been out of order, but they were probably worried and half out their minds by the time authorities reached them.

01cochran5.jpg.8e24a2ea2c8d09d76643b7273ffedd64.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2022 at 11:28 AM, filmnoirguy said:

Inglewood Park Cemetery

Betty Grable, Cesar Romero, director Walter Lang, Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Charles, Edgar Bergen, Gypsy Rose Lee, silent comedian Louise Fazenda, cowboy star Allan "Rocky" Lane, Sugar Ray Robinson, singer-songwriter Billy Preston, LA Mayor Tom Bradley.

Feel free to add pictures to my post. 

20 hours ago, filmnoirguy said:

Feel free to add pictures to my post. 

I'm almost at my 3 mb limit and will have to delete some older pics in other threads before posting any new ones.  However, most pics on Wikipedia, for example, can be embedded without limitations, although they don't always have a grave pic.  Looking up Inglewood Park Cemetery on Wiki I see it has several pics of the grounds and some celebrities.  Very nice!
Inglewood_Park_Cemetery.jpg

To embed a pic, click on the picture desired, then click once more. The pic will change size and the url should read something like this, with "upload" right after https://upload.wikimedia.org[say_ray_charles] Copy & paste the url into your post, and it should appear! 

Ray_Charles_(cropped).jpg

About 90 miles up the coast is beautiful Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara Cemetery

01SB.jpg.b28155c201fd990aeab794e7457fc20c.jpg

Not sure who's in the pyramid, but just a few of the notables here are:

Jeanne Crain (1925-2003), actress
Jeanne_Crain_dancing_with_her_husband_Pa..dancing with husband Paul Brooks

Bradford Dillman (1930-2018), actor - husband of Suzy Parker
Bradford_Dillman_1966.JPG

Suzy Parker (1932-2003), model and actress - wife of Bradford Dillman
Suzy_Parker_1963.JPG

Laurence Harvey (1928-1973), actor
Laurence_Harvey_Allan_Warren.jpg

Domino_Harvey.jpg..Domino Harvey (1969-2005), bounty hunter/model, daughter of Laurence Harvey

Tab Hunter (1931-2018), actor
TabHunter.jpg

John Ireland (1914-1992), actor
JohnIreland.jpg

Fess Parker (1924-2010), actor
Brock_Peters_Fess_Parker_Daniel_Boone_19

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To honor Cary Grant's birthday I looked up his grave and found there is none.   

Died at 82, in Davenport Iowa, of all places, doing what he loved - staying active, reaching out to fans, and making some money to boot.  His father was an attractive man, but I think he more resembled his mum.

01grantdad.jpg.4929b7054331dd4cd9eb2824c754cb07.jpg...01grantmum.jpg.b6a1e8b45b0c4436a240658ee10898ce.jpg

I started a list of stars who chose cremation without a public grave.  Please let me know of any more to add.

• Cary Grant..scattered in California
  • Lana Turner..given to family
  • Doris Day..scattered in California
  • Alfred Hitchcock..Pacific Ocean
  • Peter Fonda..requested to be thrown in trash, family disagreed
  • John Lennon..scattered in Central Park, NYC
  • George Harrison..Ganges River, India
  • Robin Williams..San Francisco Bay, like his beloved mom
  • David Bowie..scattered in Bali, Indonesia
  • Albert Einstein..scattered in river and on grounds of Princeton, NJ to "discourage idolatry"
  • Marlon Brando..scattered in Death Valley, CA
  • Hunter S. Thompson..blasted out of cannon fired by Johnny Depp during epic party
  • John F. Kennedy Jr..scattered off coast of Martha’s Vineyard
  • Jack London..ashes buried on his property in N. California
  • Johnny Carson..Pacific Ocean
  • Christopher Reeve..scattered by family, unknown location

• Thanks 1

Veronica Lake cremated  but an incredible story about her ashes recovered in  a pawn shop I think years later,she was living in Montreal in the early 70's.Hedy Lamarr was cremated the ashes were scattered in the woods in Austria,there is a memorial in Austria in a cemetery but the ashes are not at the memorial.

• Thanks 1

Very disappointing to find Fredric March & wife were cremated and buried under favorite tree on their CT property. Current owners of course, appreciate privacy. 

Also, Wolfman Jack is interred on his family estate in North Carolina.  Very nice setting, private- not for public view.

CEM2145798_1546193272.jpg

• Thanks 1

Colma, CA   Unofficial city motto = "It's Good To Be Alive in Colma"

Location_map_San_Francisco.png..founded as a "City of the Dead" south of Daly City.

San Francisco outlawed new interments within city limits in 1900, then evicted all existing cemeteries in 1912 because land was at a premium. It took many years to dig everyone up and move them to Colma, which was founded as a necropolis.  These few just scratch the surface of 1.5 million graves.

280_Metro_Center.jpg

Aerial photo of Colma from the south

William Randolph Hearst
April 29, 1863 – August 14, 1951
HearstAbout1910.jpg
01hearst.jpg.6e6022d587aff40e730158e7b88f5b6a.jpg

Phineas Gage, (1823–1860) medical oddity 

You can fall into a rabbit-hole just reading about this guy. Survived a work-related accident of a large tamping iron being driven completely through his skull and destroying his brain's left frontal lobe. The injury's reported effects on his personality and behavior over the remaining 12 years of his life have been studied extensively. 

Phineas_Gage_Cased_Daguerreotype_WilgusPPhineas_gage_-_1868_skull_diagram.jpg

Joe DiMaggio
November 25, 1914 – March 8, 1999

Marilyn_Monroe_Joe_DiMaggio_January_1954

Hcc-colma-dimaggio1.jpg

Wyatt Earp
Wyatt_Earp_portrait.png

Wyatt and Josephine Earp shown in their mining camp near Vidal California.
Wyatt_and_Josephine_Earp_1906.jpg

Levi Strauss 
February 26, 1829 – September 26, 1902

His firm of Levi Strauss & Co. (Levi's) was the first to manufacture blue jeans in 1853 San Francisco.
Levi_Strauss_1.jpg

Bill Graham (born Wulf Wolodia Grajonca)
January 8, 1931 – October 25, 1991
Famous concert promoter 

Bill_Graham.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katie_G said:

Phineas Gage, (1823–1860) medical oddity 

Last roadtrip I took (2019) passed & photographed the monument at the accident site in Vermont:

765b895e7774ed586e1812a320ea9b69.jpg

I had known about the case since reading about him in psych class in college.

• Thanks 1

Another pic of Gage, who became very attached to his tamping rod.  Not a bad looking guy, even after the accident.

Phineas_Gage_GageMillerPhoto2010-02-17_U

Some more from Colma:  TikiSoo, you would have a field day here

Eddie Fisher 1928-2010  in niche
Reynolds_-_Fisher_-_1955.jpg

George Moscone 1929-1978  Mayor of San Francisco, shot by supervisor Dan White
George_Moscone_grave.JPG

Claus Spreckels 1828-1908  Sugar magnate
Abigail Folger 1943-1969  Coffee heiress, Manson murder victim

Wanger.jpg..Walter Wanger 1894-1968  Hollywood film producer, ex-husband of Joan Bennett

Paul Kantner 1941-2016 Rock musician, founding member Jefferson Airplane
Paul_Kantner_Jefferson_Starship_1975.JPG

15 hours ago, Katie_G said:

TikiSoo, you would have a field day here

Probably not. I just finished watching the newest Hollywood Graveyard which contains only one of my contributions. The episode was in my vicinity and I kept thinking, "I knew about that one, why haven't I seen it?"

Then realized I am fairly choosy about who I visit in person. It's not just a gawking photo thing but to commiserate, contemplate, offer momentos & sometimes picnic with their spirit.

• Like 1

Here's some that actually disturb me due to the reverence some people still have for these outlaws and killers.  I hesitate to call them stars, but they are infamous.

John_Dillinger_mug_shot.jpg..John Dillinger

Probably the only patient who ever wanted their chin cleft removed by plastic surgery. Wasn't that successful.

Crown Hill Cemetery, Mooresville, Indiana

John_Dillinger_grave.jpg

Lee_Harvey_Oswald_1963.jpg..Lee Harvey Oswald

Shannon Rose Hill Cemetery, Fort Worth, TX    I would have opted for the unmarked grave, personally.

Grave_of_Lee_Harvey_Oswald.jpg

Lizzy Borden  as guilty as OJ, let's be honest.

Lizzie_borden.jpg...01Borden.jpg.7e30f3a2958081902b52bf3c32ec9a90.jpg..Oak Grove Cemetery, Fall River, MA

Al Capone,  Mount Carmel Catholic Cemetery, Chicago, IL

Acaponeh.jpg...Grave_Al_Capone.jpg

Jesse James,  Mount Olivet Cemetery, Kearney, MO      He didn't look anything like Tyrone Power or Brad Pitt.  I don't get it.

Jesse_James_Gravestone.jpg

John_Wilkes_Booth_wanted_poster_new.jpg.. John Wilkes Booth  

Booth_family_gravesite.jpg..an unmarked grave in the family plot in Baltimore Maryland.

Bonnie Parker & Clyde Barrow
Bonnieclyde_f.jpg.. buried in separate cemeteries after all that!

Bonnie's in Crown Hill Cemetery in Dallas TX
Bonnie_parker_grave.jpg

Clyde's in Western Heights Cemetery in Dallas with his brother.
Clyde_barrow_grave.jpg

On 1/4/2022 at 5:28 PM, Kikiki said:

If you don’t know about this YouTube channel, it bears looking into. The Hollywood Graveyard channel covers all the stars. Hosted by Arthur Dark, it’s entertaining, well researched, and loaded with clips and pix. 

I've been following his channel for quite some time - He just completed a series in Europe, where he visited France and Italy (2 parts), with visits to such notables as Anna Magnani, Sergio Leone, and Ennio Morricone, to name just a few.  He also allows his viewers to submit video (I just did), and his most recent "Viewer's Special" featured Claude Rains, Charles Bronson, and Broderick Crawford.  He really does a great job with backstory on each personage and his production values are excellent.  I highly recommend his channel.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cinecrazydc said:

He also allows his viewers to submit video (I just did), and his most recent "Viewer's Special" featured Claude Rains, Charles Bronson, and Broderick Crawford.  He really does a great job with backstory on each personage and his production values are excellent. 

What's your contribution?

Agree with HG video production values. I especially enjoy the music and the posters/clips of their career highlights.

Broderick Crawford/Helen Broderick was my contribution last time,  stopping to see them again on my way to Trekonderoga. Most of my visits are still photos like Thelma Todd's recently posted here. Wish I took video more often though. 

Since Mr Tiki is in law enforcement, we see criminals too, although I generally don't care to. We've seen Dillinger,  Al Capone, John Wilkes Booth (same cemetary as Johnny Eck) Lucky Luciano, Bugsy Siegel & all the other NYC gangsters. I spit on Siegel's grave for his role in Thelma Todd's death.

We also visited Buford Pusser's grave, the man WALKING TALL was based upon, and Eliot Ness whom the UNTOUCHABLES was based upon. The Cleveland Cemetery Ness is interred has an amazing Tiffany Chapel. Lizzie Borden whom I do not consider a criminal, is in the same cemetary as HP Lovecraft. 

Mary Tyler Moore died 5 years ago today. Visiting her grave was an emotional experience, I spent 2-3 hours in contemplation. I really like when there is a bench as part of the site.

175697586_85a44414-20bb-42c6-8011-be0f53

17 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

What's your contribution?

Agree with HG video production values. I especially enjoy the music and the posters/clips of their career highlights.

Broderick Crawford/Helen Broderick was my contribution last time,  stopping to see them again on my way to Trekonderoga. Most of my visits are still photos like Thelma Todd's recently posted here. Wish I took video more often though. 

Since Mr Tiki is in law enforcement, we see criminals too, although I generally don't care to. We've seen Dillinger,  Al Capone, John Wilkes Booth (same cemetary as Johnny Eck) Lucky Luciano, Bugsy Siegel & all the other NYC gangsters. I spit on Siegel's grave for his role in Thelma Todd's death.

We also visited Buford Pusser's grave, the man WALKING TALL was based upon, and Eliot Ness whom the UNTOUCHABLES was based upon. The Cleveland Cemetery Ness is interred has an amazing Tiffany Chapel. Lizzie Borden whom I do not consider a criminal, is in the same cemetary as HP Lovecraft. 

Mary Tyler Moore died 5 years ago today. Visiting her grave was an emotional experience, I spent 2-3 hours in contemplation. I really like when there is a bench as part of the site.

175697586_85a44414-20bb-42c6-8011-be0f53

Well .. it's complicated.  The first time he did a "Viewer's Special" was about 3 years ago before the pandemic of course.   I took Joseph Cotten's grave in Petersburg, VA, and Lee Marvin's in Arlington National Cemetery.  Apparently there was a problem with the resolution (I was using a cheap video camera with @ 720p, so he rejected it).  I went out a got a new camera with 1080p, which is what he insists on, and for this round I got Tallulah Bankhead and Mildred Natwick in Maryland; Robert Mitchum in Delaware; and Linda Darnell in Pennsylvania.  I also traveled over the summer and picked up Rosemary Clooney in Kentucky and Ben Johnson in Oklahoma.  He's now doing the most recent special (which included your entry for Broderick Crawford), but he's taking his time as he goes through the various regions (he's done New England - I visited Bronson and Rains in September, but too late to submit this time).  When he gets to Virginia and Maryland, hopefully my stuff will show up.  I've got a laundry list of graves I'd like to submit for the NEXT viewer's special, but Lord knows when that will be !    

• Like 1

In that case, you may be interested in the following not covered above:  Oklahoma (Ma Barker, Belle Star, Pretty Boy Floyd);  Kansas (the Clutter family of In Cold Blood fame); Missouri (Cole Younger); Illinois (Al Capone, Baby Face Nelson);  New Mexico (Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett);  South Dakota (Wild Bill Hickock);  Colorado (Doc Holiday);  Ohio (Elliot Ness); Washington, DC (J. Edgar Hoover).  Several of the Lincoln conspirators are buried in the DC area (Mary Surratt;  David Herold and George Atzerot are in the same cemetery with J. Edgar Hoover ! - Congressional ).  You should submit JW Booth for the next Viewer's Special with Arthur !! After all, he was an actor ! Lewis Payne who attacked Secretary of State Seward (who is buried not far from Broderick Crawford) the night Lincoln was assassinated is buried in Florida.   You have your work cut out for you !! Get going !!   

50 minutes ago, cinecrazydc said:

Joseph Cotten's grave in Petersburg, VA (snipped) for this round I got Tallulah Bankhead and Mildred Natwick in Maryland; Robert Mitchum in Delaware; and Linda Darnell in Pennsylvania.

Wow I LOVED those additions! Mitchum, Cotton & Darnell are on my list for next visit to those areas, but wasn't aware of the MD ones. HG has to severely edit footage I've noticed. The Cemetery in Elmira NY (Mark Twain, Hal Roach) taps their magnificent maple trees for syrup that made picturesque video footage but was not used.

I work for the City of PenArgyl PA and the next time I'm there will have to video Jayne Mansfield's grave. I've taken lots of photos, just not videos.

ZmllbGQuanBn.jpg

I really like these "hometown" middle of nowhere cemeteries, it really shows you what drive they must have had to succeed from such humble beginnings. 

Quote: You should submit JW Booth for the next Viewer's Special with Arthur !! After all, he was an actor ! 

Haha Booth was included in this last episode. There is a blank ground marker covered in Lincoln pennies not included in the submission. No mention of Johnny Eck, which was my reason for visiting that gorgeous old cemetary.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Wow I LOVED those additions! Mitchum, Cotton & Darnell are on my list for next visit to those areas, but wasn't aware of the MD ones. HG has to severely edit footage I've noticed. The Cemetery in Elmira NY (Mark Twain, Hal Roach) taps their magnificent maple trees for syrup that made picturesque video footage but was not used.

I work for the City of PenArgyl PA and the next time I'm there will have to video Jayne Mansfield's grave. I've taken lots of photos, just not videos.

ZmllbGQuanBn.jpg

I really like these "hometown" middle of nowhere cemeteries, it really shows you what drive they must have had to succeed from such humble beginnings. 

I think Jane Mansfield (who also has a cenotaph I think in Hollywood Forever) was among the fist videos that Arthur did when he did his first viewer's special.  Yes, I have noticed his edits.  You may want to check his archive to be sure, but I think I do remember that.  Mitchum was actually cremated in CA, but he has a cenotaph in Delaware at the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Camden because he was a member of that organization.  He also owned a farm in nearby Maryland.   Speaking of "hometown" cemeteries - I've visited some that could best be described as "the back of beyond" - But I'd rather be there than someplace like Baltimore !!!    BTW, see my comments above on CRIME - if you and Mr. Tiki really want to knock yourselves out - here's my list !!   😄

1 hour ago, cinecrazydc said:

Speaking of "hometown" cemeteries - I've visited some that could best be described as "the back of beyond" - But I'd rather be there than someplace like Baltimore !!! 

I spent a month doing a demolition in a Baltimore blighted zone & got to know some of the neighborhood "day" people & they were perfectly nice, but made sure I was in my hotel room by dusk. The old historic cemetary is one of the most beautiful & enjoyable I've ever visited. 

I don't search by occupation, I search by who I'm interested in the area where I'll be traveling. I have veered 50 miles out of the way on a dirt road to pay respects to those I really love (Paul Lynde) and stopped by notables only if we're already in the vicinity, like James Dean.

MrTiki's visiting list is the same. Many NYC crime bosses just happened to be in the same mausoleum as movie stars already on my list.

31 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I spent a month doing a demolition in a Baltimore blighted zone & got to know some of the neighborhood "day" people & they were perfectly nice, but made sure I was in my hotel room by dusk. The old historic cemetary is one of the most beautiful & enjoyable I've ever visited. 

I don't search by occupation, I search by who I'm interested in the area where I'll be traveling. I have veered 50 miles out of the way on a dirt road to pay respects to those I really love (Paul Lynde) and stopped by notables only if we're already in the vicinity, like James Dean.

MrTiki's visiting list is the same. Many NYC crime bosses just happened to be in the same mausoleum as movie stars already on my list.

I'm actually surprised that Arthur skipped JW Booth when he was in B'more to get Edgar Allen Poe (eagerly awaiting his production on Edgar).  Oh well, I suppose he has his own priorities.

Your approach sounds quite reasonable.  As for Mr . Dean, he's definitely on my list.  I, too,  figure out which states I'll be traveling through and see who else I might like to visit -   worked out fairly well so far -  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 8:30 AM, TikiSoo said:

Wow I LOVED those additions! Mitchum, Cotton & Darnell are on my list for next visit to those areas, but wasn't aware of the MD ones.

Tiki: 

You've probably seen Arthur's latest, which I posed below - in case you haven't 

I made a special trip to Maryland to take video of Tullulah Bankhead, but he liked someone else's stuff better

My entries are credited to "Bob in Virginia" - see below 

Linda Darnell@ 19:50

Robert Mitchum @35:43

Mildred Natwick@ 39:33

and Joseph Cotten @ 43:19

I also make a special trip to Arlington but was bested on that by another submitter, who took everything that I had and then some !

More power to 'em !! 

Didn’t see JW Booth in the Maryland stuff.    He also left off another of my submissions: General Douglas MacArthur in Virginia. Hopefully he'll do a follow up with our stuff later -

Regards, CCDC 

9 hours ago, cinecrazydc said:

My entries are credited to "Bob in Virginia" - see below 

Haha I READ that! I thought "I've got to meet this Bob in VA!" & we already know each other here!

I had visited Martha Raye at Fort Bragg and was disappointed in how small Military grave stones are. I wonder why Constance Bennett's & Maureen O'Hara's husbands received such large monuments?

In the decades I've spent carousing cemeteries, this episode is the only one seeing my birth date on any stones- both Joseph Wiseman & Joseph Cotton share my birthday!

I didn't care for his blurb on Bankhead but was pretty shocked she died so young, she certainly looked older.  Arthur Dark often favors citing cheesy horror/cartoon credits for Gen Xer recognition instead of earlier, more notable acting accomplishments.

Good episode! Thanks for your contribution Bob!

9 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Haha I READ that! I thought "I've got to meet this Bob in VA!" & we already know each other here!

I had visited Martha Raye at Fort Bragg and was disappointed in how small Military grave stones are. I wonder why Constance Bennett's & Maureen O'Hara's husbands received such large monuments?

In the decades I've spent carousing cemeteries, this episode is the only one seeing my birth date on any stones- both Joseph Wiseman & Joseph Cotton share my birthday!

I didn't care for his blurb on Bankhead but was pretty shocked she died so young, she certainly looked older.  Arthur Dark often favors citing cheesy horror/cartoon credits for Gen Xer recognition instead of earlier, more notable acting accomplishments.

Good episode! Thanks for your contribution Bob!

Thanks, Tiki !  

As to the size of the gravestones for Bennett and O'Hara's husbands, I was told when I visited Arlington on the tour that - for a period of time, which they no longer do - they permitted non-standard size stones if the family wanted (and, more importantly, could afford) bigger stones.  That's why the "rich guys" buried at Arlington have such.  However, this seemed to fly in the face of "equality in death," where some of these cats got Mausoleum-size monuments, while the average Joe had to settle for the standard (e.g., "Martha Raye size"), smaller marker - so they no longer permit it. The tour guide told us the inch-dimensions of the standard markers (which do predominate in terms of overall numbers); I forgot what they are, but you can probably look it up.  O'Hara's husband was an Air Force general (don't know if that had anything to do with it; maybe ?).

Wow ! You and Joseph Cotten have the same birth date ?  Cotten was born in 1905-  your avatar/icon doesn't make you look nearly that old !!   Holdin' up pretty well, my friend 😄/lol

I took video of Bankhead but it was attributed to someone else -  it was funny because I arrived at her grave late in the afternoon and the shadows then were exactly as shown in Arthur's video. Maybe just a coincidence ??    I didn't like his blurb either.   Bankhead was a heavy smoker - as were many of them - which probably accounts for her early demise.

As a side note, what really killed me is that when I went to New England this past September, I stopped various places and took video that I intended to post in the next viewers' special.  Virtually ALL of the stuff I took got swept up in the current episodes !!  These included the graves of the Concord authors (Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne and Alcott), author Pearl Buck, illustrators Norman Rockwell and Maxfield Parish; plus actors Charles Bronson and Claude Rains.  Lot of gas, lot of motel, and wear and tear on the vehicle. But I can't say I "regret' the trips, as I probably wouldn't have visited these places otherwise, and I did have other business in the area.  When you see the beautiful locales where some of these people are buried (Charles Bronson in Vermont and Claude Rains in New Hampshire come immediately to mind), it comes as no surprise they chose those areas to be laid to rest.  And Pearl Buck's estate and farm has to be in one of the most bucolic parts of Pennsylvania.

Do let me know if you plan to be in the Richmond/Petersburg area.  Maybe we can rendezvous at Joe Cotten's gravesite and pay our respects 😉

Best, Bob 

• Thanks 1