Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OBIT THREAD for The Golden Globe Awards (1944-2022)

10 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

This isn't the first time something like this has happened or something close to it. The globes were kicked off of TV in the late 1960s, around 1967 or so. They still had a ceremony then. Very few celebs turned up; Dustin Hoffman, up for The Graduate, was one of the few there and he said it was misery. Poor Sally Field was harnessed up breezing around the auditorium hanging from a track recreating her Flying Nun stance.

A few years ago, there were union problems between the awards and the networks, and instead of coverage, they aired a news-anchor style update/analysis of who won what.  It was a lot easier to get through.

(And yes, it is misery, but at least they kept their 30's style banquet format, so the stars only show up for the free drinks, and the whole point of watching the show is to see the speeches and presenters in the second half...  🥴)

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think if BABE hadn't won best Musical/comedy in 1995/6, it would not have gone on to get its well-deserved Oscar nominations.

If the Golden Globes allowed animated films in its Comedy/Musical Picture lineup, Inside Out would have won the 2016 Best Picture Oscar.

We've been overdue to de-Globe the Oscars, and stop cheat-cribbing and letting someone else write the nominations for us, for seventeen years now.

9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I don't think I have ever been able to finish watching a NETFLIX ORIGINAL though, documentary, tv show or movie.

Not even "The Toys/Movies That Made Us"?  "Cells at Work"?  The two dubbed Doraemon movies?  "Beat Bugs", for pity's sake??  😮

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EricJ said:

Not even "The Toys/Movies That Made Us"?  "Cells at Work"?  The two dubbed Doraemon movies?  "Beat Bugs", for pity's sake??  😮

YOU’RE RIGHT!

I forgot completely that I did watch “the toys that made us”: the he-man, the Barbie and the Star Wars action figure episodes, and I am currently watching the Lego episode.

thanks, I had forgotten this one!

PS – I still say 99.999% of what’s on Netflix is utter dreck

@LornaHansonForbes:  Yes, indeed.  I bought the [PG]-version of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER on VHS from Paramount.   I recall at the time I was searching I found it to be a bit of a chore to find.  The 'regular' 1977 theatrical version was *everywhere* for sale and I already had several copies of the [R]-rated version.  One thing about the [PG]-version of "Saturday Night Fever":  When Paramount did issue it on VHS the company made sure you *knew* what version you were getting as the box front had a RED BANNER across it that explicitly stated "PG VERSION" so dopey customers couldn't bring it back to the checkout counter and say "The box didn't say it was the [PG]-version!  I wanted the [R] version!".      

NOTE about the [R]-rated VHS version of "Saturday Night Fever" from Paramount:  One reason I bought more than one Paramount tape of the original theatrical version was because the first tape of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER  I bought had the music  /altered/  during the dance sequence at the end when the Puerto Ricans were dancing in the contest right after Tony and Stephanie.  I was fooled!  → So I went back and bought the *oldest* Paramount VHS release of "Saturday Night Fever" I could find and was satiated by having the 'proper' music playing.   Paramount released the [R]-rated version of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER  four different times as best as I can tell, but I only found one Paramount issue for the [PG]-rated 'cut'.  Have a cig → 🚬   .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Have the Globe nominations been announced? I haven't been keeping up on things.

yes, many weeks ago!  but I literally could not tell you A ONE OF THEM.

(The HOLLYWOOD FOREIGN PRESS actually got SNOOP DOGG to agree to announce the nominees on TV, I guess FAYE and WARREN were booked)

42 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

NOTE about the [R]-rated VHS version of "Saturday Night Fever" from Paramount:  One reason I bought more than one Paramount tape of the original theatrical version was because the first tape of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER  I bought had the music  /altered/  during the dance sequence at the end when the Puerto Ricans were dancing in the contest right after Tony and Stephanie.  I was fooled!  → So I went back and bought the *oldest* Paramount VHS release of "Saturday Night Fever" I could find and was satiated by having the 'proper' music playing.   Paramount released the [R]-rated version of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER  four different times as best as I can tell, but I only found one Paramount issue for the [PG]-rated 'cut'.  Have a cig → 🚬   .

something similar happened with LOVE AT FIRST BITE, because of a copyright claim, FOR YEARS the DISCO DANCE scene between the leads played a song other than I LOVE THE NIGHT LIFE (by ALICIA BRIDGES) and it just WRECKED THE SCENE!

• Like 1

Just now, Hibi said:

LOL. Guess I didnt miss anything.

here's the major film nominees:

Best Motion Picture - Drama

Belfast

CODA

Dune

King Richard

The Power of the Dog

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Cyrano

Don’t Look Up

Licorice Pizza

Tick, Tick … Boom!

West Side Story

Best Director - Motion Picture

Kenneth Branagh, for Belfast

Jane Campion, for The Power of the Dog

Maggie Gyllenhaal, for The Lost Daughter

Steven Spielberg, for West Side Story

Denis Villeneuve, for Dune

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama

Jessica Chastain, in The Eyes of Tammy Faye

Olivia Colman, in The Lost Daughter

Nicole Kidman, in Being the Ricardos

Lady Gaga, in House of Gucci

Kristen Stewart, in Spencer

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Marion Cotillard, in Annette

Alana Haim, in Licorice Pizza

Jennifer Lawrence, in Don’t Look Up

Emma Stone, in Cruella

Rachel Zegler, in West Side Story

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture

Caitriona Balfe, in Belfast

Ariana DeBose, in West Side Story

Kirsten Dunst, in The Power of the Dog

Aunjanue Ellis, in King Richard

Ruth Negga, in Passing

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama

Mahershala Ali, in Swan Song

Javier Bardem, in Being the Ricardos

Benedict Cumberbatch, in The Power of the Dog

Will Smith, in King Richard

Denzel Washington, in The Tragedy of Macbeth

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Leonardo DiCaprio, in Don’t Look Up

Peter Dinklage, in Cyrano

Andrew Garfield, in Tick, Tick … Boom!

Cooper Hoffman, in Licorice Pizza

Anthony Ramos, in In the Heights

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture

Ben Affleck, in The Tender Bar

Jamie Dornan, in Belfast

Ciaran Hinds, in Belfast

Troy Kotsur, in CODA

Kodi Smit-McPhee, in The Power of the Dog

I see the Golden Globes foolishly overlooked SIR TOBY DICKMAN SMYTH-HUNTLEY and his flashy role as "Gas Station Attendant" in the British comedy "PYSSE YE OFFE".    🤬

→ When I found out about that disgraceful *omission* I was seething with hot rage . . . so I contacted my local  Golden Globes official, got a recording, and left a nasty message!  That'll teach 'em!   🥴  😵

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

here's the major film nominees:

The Globes were an award for and by old Hollywood press agents, and they STILL are:  They’ve been nicknamed “the Gullible Globes”, since their nominations basically consist of every “awards buzz” rumor that’s been planted about a would-be Oscar/Emmy-bait movie or TV show (Will Smith in King Richard??), and the GG noms let us air them out in the sunshine and see how ridiculous half of them look in the light of day.  (West Side Story for Picture??)

Its other nickname came from the 80’s-90’s days when Ted Turner would air the Why-Pay-More Oscars on TBS and TNT because ABC wouldn’t let him have the real Oscars, and NBC wouldn’t let him have the real Olympics.  So we all giggled at “the Goodwill Games of movie awards”.  🤭🤣

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

So the Golden Globes are generally acknowledged to have no merit or credibility,  but they are (were) to me fine viewing entertainment. 

That's all it's worth and I mourn its televised demise.

YES!!!!!!

It used to be ONE HELL of a show- all around. Even after I quit on THE OSCARS I still would watch bits and pieces of THE GLOBES.

I've got a million of 'em.  SIR WELLESLEY SPUNKE COWIE-VARPTON.   👍 

I've had waaaaay too much iced coffee today.  The caffeine makes me think of weird things . . . 'tis a wonder I'm still able to walk /upright/ at age 48.  😜

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

So the Golden Globes are generally acknowledged to have no merit or credibility,  but they are (were) to me fine viewing entertainment. 

That's all it's worth and I mourn its televised demise.

Two words: Ricky Gervais. Who will never be hired as Oscar host.

You could also celebrate the end of the Globes by having your own Pia Zadora film festival.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2