Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Peter Bogdanovich Passed Away

I watched a matinee of The Last Picture Show today and it's just as good as when I saw it in a theater in 1971.  Loved all of his pictures, but this one was my all-time favorite.  Rest in peace, rest in paradise, Peter Bogdanovich.

• Like 3

I posted this back in April so I think it's worth repeating:

A few months ago I watched an Ellen Burstyn interview and she discussed what is probably one of my favorite scenes in "The Last Picture Show":

Burstyn's first Oscar nod came in 1972, as Lois Farrow, mother to Cybill Shepherd, in "The Last Picture Show." it was her first big role in film, with Peter Bogdanovich as director.

"We had a scene where I hear my lover drive up. Oh good. My lover's here! And I'm just about to open the door, and my daughter comes in. And then I realize, Oh, it's not my lover coming to see me, it's my daughter – oh my God, my daughter's in bed with my lover!

"So, I said, 'Peter. I have eight different things to express here, and I don't have a line.'

And he went, 'I know.'"

"And I said, 'How am I supposed to do that?' And he said, 'Just think the thoughts of the character, and the camera will read your mind.'

That was the most important acting-for-film lesson I ever got. It was just brilliant.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, filmnoirguy said:

I watched a matinee of The Last Picture Show today and it's just as good as when I saw it in a theater in 1971.  Loved all of his pictures, but this one was my all-time favorite.  Rest in peace, rest in paradise, Peter Bogdanovich.

Yes, mine too. Watched it just a week or so ago when TCM ran it. (missed the first half hr.) I've seen it many times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

I loved when he would drop in his impressions of actors and directors during a story.

Personal opinon: I didn't love these. It was a crutch he relied on way too much, especially later in life, I thought. I'd sorta avoided the podcast, because I figured he would go into an impersonation about six hundred thousand times in a handful of hours.

But I feel evil coming on here with a personal gripe. The man was a genius and absolutely mattered. I'm sort of sad to read all the comments that people didn't care for him as a filmmaker but only as a anecdote-teller, because that ignores what I believer are so many truly great films: The Last Picture Show, Paper Moon, What's Up, Doc?, Mask, even his recent Tom Petty concert film and Buster Keaton documentary. And he was fantastic as Dr. Melfi's shrink in The Sopranos. RIP.

• Thanks 2

Family statement from The Hollywood Reporter:

“Our dearest Peter passed away today from complications of Parkinson’s disease,” the family added in a statement. “The Bogdanovich/Stratten family wishes to thank everyone for their love and support in this most difficult time.”

I loved the man & his work:

• Targets '68
  • The Last Picture Show '71
  • What's Up Doc? '72
  • Paper Moon '73
  • Nichelodeon '76
  • Mask '85
  • The Cat's Meow '01
  • Run-in Down A Dream '07
  • She's Funny That Way '14
  • The Great Buster '18

And his books were fabulous as well:

• He wrote books about: Orson Welles, Howard Hawks, Hitchcock, Fritz Lang, Lillian Gish as well as other notables.
  • His two volumes of personal impressions and stories of Directors in WHO THE DEVIL MADE IT ('97) and Actors in WHO THE HELL'S IN IT? ('04) should be on every film fan's bookshelf. These are both so well written & just fascinating.

I treasure my full size framed Paper Moon poster in my living room- the script, the photography, the acting, the music, just everything in that movie is perfection. It's the PERFECT film to show any kid who won't watch a B&W movie-they quickly get interested in the story & forget about it.

The oversize lobby card from Last Picture Show is framed in my kitchen since it's the diner scene. TLPS has the same stellar qualities, but the story can sometimes be a bit of a downer, although the pool scene is exuberant.

The book WHO THE HELLS IN IT has a huge chapter in the middle just about Jerry Lewis. While I don't always agree with Bogdanovich's taste, I gained a much better appreciation for the man & his career. It spurred me to read Lewis' personal account DEAN & ME and see a few of his movies, once.

If any of you haven't seen She's Funny That Way, do so. I enjoyed it a lot. I'm sorry he was sick near the end, but what a full, wonderful, productive life he had! Certainly brought lots of joy to others!

• Like 4

It's refreshing to see a person that's interested in learning about their predecessors in their chosen profession or about the origins of the line of work they happen to be in.  In sports terms, Peter Bogdanovich was 'a student of the game'.  People like him are usually quite interesting to talk to, and when they share their knowledge or anecdotes, you have to catch yourself from constantly saying stuff like, "Wow!" or "Really?".

As an aside, and I hope I don't come off as sounding morbid about this, but despite being so early in a new year, I think Peter Bogdanovich would make a worthy choice as the last person honored in the 2022 version of 'TCM Remembers' when it comes out 11 months from now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I loved the man & his work:

• Targets '68
  • What's Up Doc? '72
  • Paper Moon '73
  • Nichelodeon '76
  • Mask '85
  • The Cat's Meow '01
  • Run-in Down A Dream '07
  • She's Funny That Way '14
  • The Great Buster '18

And his books were fabulous as well:

• He wrote books about: Orson Welles, Howard Hawks, Hitchcock, Fritz Lang, Lillian Gish as well as other notables.
  • His two volumes of personal impressions and stories of Directors in WHO THE DEVIL MADE IT ('97) and Actors in WHO THE HELL'S IN IT? ('04) should be on every film fan's bookshelf. These are both so well written & just fascinating.

I treasure my full size framed Paper Moon poster in my living room- the script, the photography, the acting, the music, just everything in that movie is perfection. It's the PERFECT film to show any kid who won't watch a B&W movie-they quickly get interested in the story & forget about it.

The oversize lobby card from Last Picture Show is framed in my kitchen since it's the diner scene. TLPS has the same stellar qualities, but the story can sometimes be a bit of a downer, although the pool scene is exuberant.

The book WHO THE HELLS IN IT has a huge chapter in the middle just about Jerry Lewis. While I don't always agree with Bogdanovich's taste, I gained a much better appreciation for the man & his career. It spurred me to read Lewis' personal account DEAN & ME and see a few of his movies, once.

If any of you haven't seen She's Funny That Way, do so. I enjoyed it a lot. I'm sorry he was sick near the end, but what a full, wonderful, productive life he had! Certainly brought lots of joy to others!

No love for the Last Picture Show?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I LOVE “TARGETS”!!!

My favorite of his films and one of my favorite Karloff films.

Peter also acted in this (very well) and has some great scenes with Karloff. In one scene they watch one of Karloff's old films on TV, The Criminal Code (1931) directed by Howard Hawks.

• Like 1

HERE IS BOGDANOVICH'S COMPLETE LIST OF DIRECTOR'S CREDITS FROM IMDB (he had others as a writer, actor and misc.)

each title is a clickable link to its corresponding imdb page:

Director (34 credits)
 2018 The Great Buster (Documentary)
 2004 Hustle (TV Movie)
 2004 The Sopranos (TV Series) (1 episode)
 2004 The Mystery of Natalie Wood (TV Mini Series) (1 episode)
- Part 1 (2004)
 1999 The Wonderful World of Disney (TV Series) (1 episode)
- A Saintly Switch (1999)
 1998 Naked City: A Killer Christmas (TV Movie)
 1997 The Price of Heaven (TV Movie)
 1996 To Sir, with Love II (TV Movie)
 1995 Prowler (TV Movie)
 1995 Fallen Angels (TV Series) (1 episode)
- A Dime a Dance (1995)
 1994 Picture Windows (TV Series) (1 episode)
- Song of Songs (1994)
 1992 Noises Off...
 1990 Texasville
 1985 Mask
 1979 Saint Jack
 1976 Nickelodeon
 1974 Daisy Miller
 1973 Paper Moon
 1971 Directed by John Ford (Documentary)
 1968 Targets
 1967 The Great Professional: Howard Hawks (TV Movie documentary) (interview)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

RIP Peter Bogdonaovich and thanks for 3 of the best movies of the 1970's The Last Picture Show, What's Up, Doc? and Paper Moon and also a big thank you for bringing Madeline Kahn into the  world of motion pictures. Even loved At Long Last Love.

whats-up-doc.jpg

Paper-Moon-Madeline-Kahn-1973.JPG

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

The book WHO THE HELLS IN IT

One of my favorite movie books. There are great interviews with legends like Cary Grant, John Wayne, Frank Sinatra. He also has a great anecdote about Marlon Brando. Peter was just a kid and ran into Marlon Brando on a cold night on the street. Brando was still dressed in his costume for On The Waterfront, he had just left filming for the night. Peter asked for an autograph, Brando mumbled in his inimitable way, "Yea, got a pen?" and signed for him and then walked off in the darkness. 

I got the book at a book signing so I met Peter and got his autograph. He spoke of many encounters with the stars and I loved his impressions of Cary Grant and Boris Karloff. He also said Cher was a "pain in the neck", though she didn't have anything nice to say about him either. She was doing a lot of b!tching and complaining at the time, mostly because she didn't get an Oscar nom for Mask. 

When I met him I lavished praise on Targets and he signed in my book "Thanks for the kind words".