Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Hitchcock film ?

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

"North By Northwest" (1959)

GIF classic film north by northwest hitchcock - animated GIF on GIFER

Something wrong with your eyes?" (North By Northwest) | Gif

Yup.

Though i'll be Darned how (the Heck) he Persuaded Scotty to cameo at films end. (*the Seemingly Random Erroneous "Mount Rushmore! *POOF!!* "Train ,!" Thing, Still Has me baffled.)

• Like 1

My favorites

1930s : the lady vanishes 

1940s : shadow of a doubt 

1950s ; the trouble with Harry , Vertigo  , Rear Window , the man who knew too much , the wrong man , strangers on a train. 

1960s : Psycho , the birds 

1970s : family plot

• Like 1

My absolute favorites remain the first Hitchcock movies I recall seeing.  ----

REAR WINDOW

NORTH BY NORTHWEST

This of course, doesn't mean I don't like many others.  But.......

Sepiatone

• Like 3

The first Hitchcock I saw was in a hotel room while on a high school trip - I think it was on SuperStation WTBS in 1981 - The Birds.

The first one I saw uninterrupted by ads was Strangers on a Train, in 1982, for a film interpretation class.

My favorite is probably Notorious.

My favorite Hitchcock film is North By Northwest.  If I were to pick one.  I loved how he casted Cary Grant in a bunch of his movies and the scene where he’s listening to the people in front of the building.  Like he’s investigating something is great and the scene towards the end where the guy’s standing in front of him on top of one of the presidents in Mount Rushmore and he’s hanging off that president going help me.  I actually saw how that scene was made in the sound effects show at Universal Studios Hollywood.  The shower scene in Phsyco too and I think the scene where Jimmy Stewart’s hanging off the building in Vertigo too.  It was really neat and so cool and I hope they show all his movies again sometime.  Does anyone know where I could request it?  I missed the Spotlight and Online Course.

It would have to be Rebecca for me, with North By Northwest and Shadow of a Doubt old comfortable seconds.   Joan Fontaine has never been so endearing.  Loved how she would jump out of her skin whenever a servant entered a room,  and apologized for tripping.

• Like 1

So hard to pick one favorite Hitchcock film!  I'll have to pick a few as a tie for my favorites.

Psycho (1960)  A terrific film that takes you on a dark, twisted journey and plays with your expectations.  Riveting.  The scary, shower scene uses masterful editing and sound.

image.jpeg.364c1ac9e6d9c170fcbf6bacba36ee65.jpeg

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)  This film brings menace to where you'd least expect it - a small town and a typical family.

Shadow of a Doubt - Harvard Film Archive

North by Northwest (1959)  A really entertaining suspense story with humor and amazing action sequences such as the crop duster scene.

image.jpeg.8c86cd7c4d74e6b6c1fd9d08ed3d009a.jpeg

Rear Window (1954)  I've seen Rear Window so many times and never get tired of watching it.  Fantastic sound, sets, acting and unique camera work giving you the point-of-view of a wheelchair bound photographer viewing scary events out his window in NYC.

image.jpeg.99f3147e0c73c6ef91f8a19dbd29f823.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually, REARWINDOW did spark an interest in photography for me.  For years I wondered just what camera was used in the movie.  As you see in Toto's photo above, it was made in the times they still blocked out brand names of cameras and guitars in movies.  I  narrowed it down to a certain model of a MIRANDA SLR 35mm camera( I forget the model now) that at one time I owned that same model of camera.  Miranda at the time the movie was made was considered as much "top of the line" as both Nikon and Canon would become considered as.   I found the camera at a thrift shop in '90  and bought it for $3.00.   I sold it in 2002 on eBay for $40.00.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It hasn't gotten mentioned much around here, despite being the Sight and Sound wininer in multiple years, but my favorite Hitchcock film is Vertigo. I've been in what feels like many argumets over the years on here that I don't know if I have the strength to defend it anymore. Yes, it's slow-moving. Yes, it doesn't play out like a typical Hitchcock movie. I find it very rich and moving, unfolding like a grand Greek tragedy, heartbreaking with just a tinge of the sexually obsessive.

• Like 1

Can't decide between Vertigo/Psycho/Rope for my very favorite. The rest of my top ten would be-

4. Rebecca

5. Topaz

6. Rear Window

7. Torn Curtain

8. The Birds

9. To Catch a Thief

10. Dial M For Murder

My favorite of his early UK pre Hollywood 30's films is probably Secret Agent with John Gielgud and Peter Lorre. 

My top three Hitch films are:

1. REBECCA (one of his most subtle films, certainly more subtle than his later works).

2. PSYCHO (an iconic performance from Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates, a legendary music score, and of course the infamous show scene makes this an all time classic).

3.  THE BIRDS (there's no explanation as to why the birds go beserk, and no real ending to conclude things, making this one of Hitchcock's most darkest films).

Honorable mentions: SABOTEUR, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, NORTORIOUS, SPELLBOUND, STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, and so on.

REAR WINDOW is a lot of fun - seeing the possible futures for JAMES STEWART and GRACE KELLY...

Comical couple fumbling in the rain... ALARM clock!

Miss Lonelyhearts and the composer, alone... "over 40..."

Miss Torso "juggling wolves..." the newlyweds "Harry...!", "Whaddaya call that?"  "Hunger" sculptor, and worst case scenario, the murderer and victim...