Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did anyone tune in to watch that political nonsense last night ?

5 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Posted by another "S" brother (though you have a working avatar).

I can't seem to post photos that I've taken anymore. I was able to do it a while back, even once started a thread for people to post photos they've taken in their towns/neighbourhoods. But I lost the knowledge of how to do it! I was able to post my avatar, a photo I took at Stonehenge, but I can no longer post photos without being told that they're too large. I've tried reducing them, but it's just too onerous and doesn't seem to work anyway. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I appreciate the sentiment, Dargo. I'm actually SEWhite2000, not SlaytonF, however! I uderstand the confusion. I never learned how to post my own avatar on here. I tried once a year for about 10 years. Every photo I selected, even if it was the size of the head of a pin, I was told was too big. Several dozens board members advised me how to do it. I followed their directions to the letter. None of it worked. Other board members got exasperated with my failures, which I assume they attributed to stupidity. It was an unhapy time. SO, I've just stuck with the letter S in a green field, and as such, I'm hard to distinguish from Slayton or Sepiatone.

Oops, sorry sewhite. And as you might remember, this wouldn't be the first time I've done this sort of thing.

And yep, you're probably right about the reason for this being your shared useage with slayton of that generic "S" avatar.

(...and so thanks for supplying me with an excuse for my mistake here, as well)  ;)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dargo said:

Oops, sorry sewhite. And as you might remember, this wouldn't be the first time I've done this sort of thing.

And yep, you're probably right about the reason for this being your shared useage with slayton of that generic "S" avatar.

(...and so thanks for supplying me with an excuse for my mistake here, as well)  ;)

Does that mean you sometimes get ME mixed up with those two as well?  ;) 

"S"epiatone

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Swithin said:

I can't seem to post photos that I've taken anymore. I was able to do it a while back, even once started a thread for people to post photos they've taken in their towns/neighbourhoods. But I lost the knowledge of how to do it! I was able to post my avatar, a photo I took at Stonehenge, but I can no longer post photos without being told that they're too large. I've tried reducing them, but it's just too onerous and doesn't seem to work anyway. 

Swithin,  go to your attachments list under your profile.  It will show you  where you've posted pics.  Go there and delete old ones to make room for new.  We have only 3 mb total, and when someone can't post pics anymore it means they're at the limit.  However, if anyone has quoted your post with the pics it may not work, and will take involvement by a mod to remove it.   A real pain.

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Does that mean you sometimes get ME mixed up with those two as well?  ;) 

"S"epiatone

LOL

Nah Sepia, and because unlike you and I, sewhite and slayton hardly EVER uppercase a lot of words in THEIR texts in order to simulate conversational inflection within their sentences.

(...YOU know what I mean, RIGHT?!)  ;)

LOL

• Haha 1

I did notice the docs on the schedule on Marin Luther King Jr. day. I assume they are scheduled to try to cash in on last year's film Judas and the Black Messiah. But is it worng for me to quietly think that TCM would have gotten more viewers that day if they replaced all of the programing on MLK day with the 24 hour Poitier tribute instead of waiting to show those films until February?

On 1/12/2022 at 5:29 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Well, the Southern Democrats of his day were pretty much Republicans, right? They all started switching parties during the Reagan Era like Phil Gramm.

Incorrect but that's what many would love to believe 

I modified the statement you quoted in a later post to say "a number" of them, rather than "all", which admittedly I was dubious about even when I posted it. All this before you stated I was incorrect. Regardless, I stand by my assertion that this phenomenon occurred.

6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I did notice the docs on the schedule on Marin Luther King Jr. day. I assume they are scheduled to try to cash in on last year's film Judas and the Black Messiah. But is it worng for me to quietly think that TCM would have gotten more viewers that day if they replaced all of the programing on MLK day with the 24 hour Poitier tribute instead of waiting to show those films until February?

I don't think they are reacting to JatBM , instead I suspect they are reacting to The Murder of Fred Hampton being added to the National Film Registry in December as this is going to be the TCM premiere of that documentary. 

They did do a Sidney Poitier marathon last MLK day with Edge of the City, Something of Value, A Raisin in the Sun, Lilies of the Field, A Patch of Blue, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, A Warm December all being shown.  They followed it up with a series of documentaries that evening.

I've complained about this before, but one more time...I wish TCM would give up the majority of their "themes".  SOTM fine. Holiday appropriate movies on the holiday, great. A random evening every now and then with a guest programmer or whatever, knock themselves out.  But drop the daily/nightly themes. They aren't necessary.

On 1/13/2022 at 5:28 PM, Swithin said:

9 hours ago, Katie_G said:

Swithin,  go to your attachments list under your profile.  It will show you  where you've posted pics.  Go there and delete old ones to make room for new.  We have only 3 mb total, and when someone can't post pics anymore it means they're at the limit.  However, if anyone has quoted your post with the pics it may not work, and will take involvement by a mod to remove it.   A real pain.

Swithin,

Check it out:

21 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Swithin,

Check it out:

The posting of photos is not a problem for me, when I post a photo from the web. It's only a problem if I want to post a photo I've taken that resides on my computer. Then, I can fiddle and extract it, and make it smaller, and keep trying, and sometimes come up with a tiny photo to post. But it's too much trouble, although it would be nice to do it once in a while.  Somehow, it used to be easier.

Years ago, I started this thread. It would have been nice to have continued it. It's the kind of thread where it would be useful to post photos one has taken. Many of them seem to have vanished, or else I deleted them. It's a pain worrying about sizing, or deleting photos to make room for others.

20 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

The only "wrong" thing about it( that I see) is that Poitier, judging by the character we know he had, would turn in his grave to think that any tribute to Martin Luther King Jr. would be replaced by a bevy of his movies. 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Swithin said:

The posting of photos is not a problem for me, when I post a photo from the web. It's only a problem if I want to post a photo I've taken that resides on my computer. Then, I can fiddle and extract it, and make it smaller, and keep trying, and sometimes come up with a tiny photo to post. But it's too much trouble, although it would be nice to do it once in a while.  Somehow, it used to be easier.

Years ago, I started this thread. It would have been nice to have continued it. It's the kind of thread where it would be useful to post photos one has taken. Many of them seem to have vanished, or else I deleted them. It's a pain worrying about sizing, or deleting photos to make room for others.

Swithin,

I feel your pain (i.e., "been there, done that" regarding reducing the size of images to upload them).

I think that Katie_G nailed the solution to the problem you are having: remove images from your My Attachments collection, to free up space.

An alternative solution is to store personal pix on an image-sharing website and then link to your pix. The "trick" with this solution is to find a free (or even not free) image sharing site that permits "hotlinking" to your stored pix -- because hotlinking "steals bandwidth" from the image-sharing host site (quoth I the Shameless Hotlinkin' Fiend).

Image Sharing Websites
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_image-sharing_websites

8 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Swithin,

I feel your pain (i.e., "been there, done that" regarding reducing the size of images to upload them).

I think that Katie_G nailed the solution to the problem you are having: remove images from your My Attachments collection, to free up space.

An alternative solution is to store personal pix on an image-sharing website and then link to your pix. The "trick" with this solution is to find a free (or even not free) image sharing site that permits "hotlinking" to your stored pix -- because hotlinking "steals bandwidth" from the image-sharing host site (quoth I the Shameless Hotlinkin' Fiend).

Image Sharing Websites
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_image-sharing_websites

Well, there's no pain. If it were really important to me, I'd make more of an effort. My need to post those photos that I've taken is not important.  Basically, all the photos I post are from the Internet, so not a problem in the least. It's very rarely that I think a photo that I've actually taken myself with my iPhone might add something to the conversation.

8f2284aaa560789ee723506081c98834.jpg

I watched the original broadcast of George Wallace when it played the other night but didn't see the beginning of it so I was interested in seeing the entire film from the beginning.  I selected to download the movie to my downloads from YouTube TV but when I went to watch it what downloaded was a 1930s musical short with the title George Wallace under the screen.  I don't know the title of the movie that downloaded but it was obviously not George Wallace.  

I then looked at other ways to see it but apparently it isn't available for streaming or purchase from anyone.  

I hate censorship regardless of the subject matter.

13 hours ago, Stephen444 said:

I watched the original broadcast of George Wallace when it played the other night but didn't see the beginning of it so I was interested in seeing the entire film from the beginning.  I selected to download the movie to my downloads from YouTube TV but when I went to watch it what downloaded was a 1930s musical short with the title George Wallace under the screen.  I don't know the title of the movie that downloaded but it was obviously not George Wallace.  

I then looked at other ways to see it but apparently it isn't available for streaming or purchase from anyone.  

I hate censorship regardless of the subject matter.

Isn't censorship the government restricting content.    In cases like this it is a privately-owned company that has decided to not sell\lease their product.

That is capitalism not censorship.    Hey,  I still don't like when companies do that but I don't think the government should get involved and force companies to release products they don't wish to (e.g. Disney and Song of the South).

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 4:13 PM, sewhite2000 said:

I modified the statement you quoted in a later post to say "a number" of them, rather than "all", which admittedly I was dubious about even when I posted it. All this before you stated I was incorrect. Regardless, I stand by my assertion that this phenomenon occurred.

I just think it is wishful thinking by people on the left that dixie-crats became republicans or that there was a 'big switch' in 60's.  I'm not here for politics though, i see enough of it thrown around my hometown and it's made the place unbearable recently.

• Like 1

I'm recording American Revolution 2 (1969) and The Murder of Fred Hampton (1971) today to watch this week.  Haven't heard of either of them before but look interesting.