Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did anyone tune in to watch that political nonsense last night ?

On 1/12/2022 at 5:56 PM, Technicolor33 said:

Won’t be tuning in to see Murder of Fred Hampton and those other movies.

what does all of this stuff have to do with classic cinema ? That is what I mean. 

why are they showing us political documentaries ? Because they’re old movies ? 20-24 years ago this stuff wouldn’t be airing on TCM.

Yeah, how dare they show films about African Americans on Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

@JAMES_and_Thy_Jazzy_Geetar:  I concur with your observation; I don't believe in censoring movies, but I also would not support the government trying to force a company to issue a title (like SONG OF THE SOUTH) that they do not wish to release. 

NOTE that Disney did release "Song of the South" on VHS in the UK.   A number of UK eBay sellers used to make extra money by selling PAL-to-NTSC VHS conversions of this release to Americans.    

On 1/15/2022 at 8:50 AM, Sepiatone said:

The only "wrong" thing about it( that I see) is that Poitier, judging by the character we know he had, would turn in his grave to think that any tribute to Martin Luther King Jr. would be replaced by a bevy of his movies. 

Sepiatone

Not to mention, previously, weren't people on this very same board complaining that TCM was using Poitier as their go-to for programming on MLK Day? Now they try something different, and people are complaining that Poitier isn't being shown.  TCM is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• Like 2

A lot of  southern Democrats switched  to the GOP starting in the 1960s, when the  national Democratic  party  took up the

cause of civil rights. All one has to do  is look  at the presidential election  results. From being solidly Democratic, the south

switched  to being solidly Republican, starting in  1964. The only exceptions  were when the Dems selected a southern

pol as a candidate, such as Carter and Clinton. 

On 1/17/2022 at 10:54 AM, JamesJazGuitar said:

Isn't censorship the government restricting content.    In cases like this it is a privately-owned company that has decided to not sell\lease their product.

That is capitalism not censorship.    Hey,  I still don't like when companies do that but I don't think the government should get involved and force companies to release products they don't wish to (e.g. Disney and Song of the South).

I wasn't implying that there was  government censorship involved.  In fact TCM decides what movies that they show get added to their streaming list and this is not one of them.

I watched some of the 'short films' and the documentary on the death/murder of Fred Hampton last night. 

Just thought to mention I watched various pieces of programming.  EDUVISION!  

I watched The Murder of Fred Hampton and Revolution 2 yesterday back to back.  While i think they are both important documentaries that should be watched (although i don't agree with how Fred Hampton is deified [and only more-so presently by Hollywood]) i don't think they were appropriate films to highlight on MLK Day.  Both documentaries cover events after the death of MLK and while MLK was a man of peace, these films clearly highlight radical and violent movements that are more in-line with the present day BLM movement.  Surely there are films focused on MLK that could be shown on the holiday that is in observance of him. 

48 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Looks like no one was curious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 1/17/2022 at 9:54 AM, JamesJazGuitar said:

I still don't like when companies do that but I don't think the government should get involved and force companies to release products they don't wish to (e.g. Disney and Song of the South).

Sorry, you're sayting the United States government tried to force Disney to make this movie available? I freely admit there's a lot of history about this movie I don't know. Can you provide a link or at least some more information about the backstory?

14 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Sorry, you're saying the United States government tried to force Disney to make this movie available? I freely admit there's a lot of history about this movie I don't know. Can you provide a link or at least some more information about the backstory?

Sorry if I implied that.   The government doesn't have the power to force a company to release a product.

I was just using Disney as an example of what the complainers MIGHT want the government to do to ensure products private companies suppress are made available.

Something like reverse-censorship.    

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Ha- i actually recorded this not knowing what it was.  There was no description for it but was certain i'd heard the name before.  i later read the wikipedia page but haven't watched it yet.  Is this a softcore film? Wouldn't be the first time TCM showed one.  They aired one from the 70's last year.  The name now escapes me,

2 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

Is this a softcore film?

I haven't seen it, but I believe it is. I don't want to give the impression I've done extensive research on the topic, but I think Valerie and Her Week of Wonders is the other movie you're referring to.

21 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Yeah, that one shocked me that it was on the schedule,

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I haven't seen it, but I believe it is. I don't want to give the impression I've done extensive research on the topic, but I think Valerie and Her Week of Wonders is the other movie you're referring to.

No, it wasn't that one.  I did watch that film and commented on it on the recently watched thread.  (Actually thought that one was okay and filed under a '**** is this, but worth watching' category. ) I'd remember the name if i read it but remember just being baffled when i saw it on On Demand for TCM- especially as not every film shown on the recent schedule makes it to On Demand.  I turned it off after 15 minutes.  Pretty bad, even for a skin flick.  Grainy picture, bad sound.

• Thanks 1
On 1/19/2022 at 4:21 PM, mr6666 said:

Yeah, I didn't consider her "beautiful" at all...

On 1/19/2022 at 4:21 PM, mr6666 said:

I watched this film yesterday.  I wouldn't call it a softcore film.  There are a few nude scenes that kick in about an hour in and then a two or three simulated sex scenes of which the most graphic are scenes of oral stimulation which is mostly kissing and not simulated.  The film actually fairly interesting.  Political commentary on class and the non-violence military movement in Sweden which i don't know if that was a real thing or not.  Having visited Sweden, i wouldn't be surprised.  Uses some stock footage of MLK.  Not sure how i would classify this film actually.  Definitely a comedy with the mentioned commentary and also meta as there's a film being made on screen.  I would actually recommend this film.  Very interesting.  There's a companion film that is mentioned a few times in this one, but not sure how easy it is to find.  I'll keep my eye out though.  

2 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

I watched this film yesterday.  I wouldn't call it a softcore film.  There are a few nude scenes that kick in about an hour in and then a two or three simulated sex scenes of which the most graphic are scenes of oral stimulation which is mostly kissing and not simulated.  The film actually fairly interesting.  Political commentary on class and the non-violence military movement in Sweden which i don't know if that was a real thing or not.  Having visited Sweden, i wouldn't be surprised.  Uses some stock footage of MLK.  Not sure how i would classify this film actually.  Definitely a comedy with the mentioned commentary and also meta as there's a film being made on screen.  I would actually recommend this film.  Very interesting.  There's a companion film that is mentioned a few times in this one, but not sure how easy it is to find.  I'll keep my eye out though.  

Just checked and Criterion actually has a set of both films together that Amazon sells for $20.  Not a bad price for double bill Criterion DVD.