Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Whistler" on Monday, Oct. 5

I searched for another thread about The Whistler series within the last year, and couldn't find any... so here it goes.

TCM is showing 6 of the 8 Whistler films on Monday - this is a rare treat and most people who've watched these B-movies enjoy them very, very much.

Here is the schedule:

*The Whistler* (1944) 6am ET

A grieving widower hires an assassin to kill him only to have his late wife turn up alive.

Cast: Richard Dix, J. Carrol Naish, Gloria Stuart, Alan Dinehart Dir: William Castle BW-60 mins, TV-PG

*The Power of the Whistler* (1945) 7:15am ET

A young woman seeks an amnesiac's true identity in the clues in his pockets.

Cast: Richard Dix, Janis Carter, Jeff Donnell, Loren Tindall Dir: Lew Landers BW-66 mins, TV-PG

*Voice of the Whistler* (1945) 8:30am ET

A dying millionaire marries his nurse for companionship, only to experience a miracle cure.

Cast: Richard Dix, Lynn Merrick, Rhys Williams, James Cardwell Dir: William Castle BW-60 mins, TV-PG

*The Mysterious Intruder* (1946) 9:45am ET

A detective discovers the woman he's been hired to track down is the key to an unusual inheritance.

Cast: Richard Dix, Barton MacLane, Nina Vale, Regis Toomey Dir: William Castle BW-62 mins

*The Secret of the Whistler* (1946) 11:00am ET

An artist plots murder when his rich wife when she catches him in an affair with one of his models.

Cast: Richard Dix, Leslie Brooks, Michael Duane, Mary Currier Dir: George Sherman BW-64 mins, TV-PG

*The Return of the Whistler* (1948) 12:15pm ET

When a woman goes missing on the eve of her wedding, her fiancee hires a detective to track her down.

Cast: Michael Duane, Lenore Aubert, Richard Lane, James Cardwell Dir: D. Ross Lederman BW-63 mins, TV-PG

They've shown MARK OF THE WHISTLER, but never THE 13TH HOUR, Richard Dix's final screen performance. One of the better entries in the series, it co-stars Regis Toomey and Karen Morley. I"m not sure Columbia even has this one. Mine is from a print transfer from 25 years ago.

These really are great films! I find them very difficult to watch, though, for some reason. I find them very disturbing...possibly part of that is seeing Richard Dix play such roles in most of them! But a tribute to his acting chops, which many have underrated.