Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Noir Alley


Barton_Keyes
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Yeah,  I hardly ever like them as much.  I'm not arguing that "sun baked"  noirs aren't true noirs,  I can agree that they can be noirs,  one of the many sub-genres  ( if you will) of noir.  

I just so much prefer urban streets and rain.  Fact is, I am not a "sun" person at all,  and those blastingly sunny films make me feel vaguely depressed.  The sun always looks so hot and relentless in them  ( maybe that's the point.)  There's a certain kind of sunny day - this applies as much to real life as to movies -  that is what I call "harsh".  The sun bakes glaringly down on everything, no kind sheltering clouds to help block its relentless rays.

This is actually one reason ( but only one of many) why I love "classic" era film noirs-  the dark streets and the rain.

In fact,  the sun-baked setting is partly why I don't much enjoy Bad Day at Black Rock.  It's an excellent  film, and I concede it is a noir - just not my kind of noir.  I always like Robert Ryan.  And Lee Marvin's kind of fun  -- good thing there's no coffee sitting around in this one.  But Spencer Tracy, excellent and revered actor though he is,  is never a favourite of mine.  He always seems to look so pleased with himself,  and BDABR is no exception. (Of course, who wouldn't be pleased with themselves if they could take on aggressive thugs and win with one arm?)

Anyway,  the whole film looks too hot and dry to me.  I'm not a fan of deserts. 

A far as Films Soleil Noir besides Bad Day At Black Rock, there's The Hitch-Hiker, Inferno, The Bribe, The Wages Of Sin, Highway Dragnet, The Girl in the Black Stockings, Desert FuryAce In The Hole (Big Carnival (The)),  Big Steal (The)Breaking Point (The), High Sierra, I Died A Thousand Times,     
Jeopardy, Kiss Before Dying , Leave Her To Heaven, Lineup (The), Niagara, PickupRope of SandScarf (The)Suddenly, They Wont Believe Me, Where Danger Lives, and a lot of 711 Ocean DriveRide The Pink HorseRoadblockJohnny Stool PigeonNightfallBorder Incident, Postman Always Rings Twice (The), White Heat,  and Detour if you think about it. 

Films Soleil Neo Noir Private PropertyDarker Than AmberThe GetawayBring Me The Head Of Alfredo GarciaThe Killer Inside Me (1976), Paris, TexasTo Live and Die in L.A., SiestaKill Me AgainThe Hot SpotWild At HeartDelusionReservoir DogsRed Rock WestTrue RomanceThe Wrong Man (1993), Natural Born Killers, Mulholland FallsNo Country For Old MenCop Car, U Turn and probably a few  more I'm forgetting I'm sure.  I even consider Night of the Iguana a Film Soleil Noir

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

A far as Films Soleil Noir besides Bad Day At Black Rock, there's The Hitch-Hiker, Inferno, The Bribe, The Wages Of Sin, Highway Dragnet, The Girl in the Black Stockings, Desert FuryAce In The Hole (Big Carnival (The)),  Big Steal (The)Breaking Point (The), High Sierra, I Died A Thousand Times,     
Jeopardy, Kiss Before Dying , Leave Her To Heaven, Lineup (The), Niagara, PickupRope of SandScarf (The)Suddenly, They Wont Believe Me, Where Danger Lives, and a lot of 711 Ocean DriveRide The Pink HorseRoadblockJohnny Stool PigeonNightfallBorder Incident, Postman Always Rings Twice (The), White Heat,  and Detour if you think about it. 

Films Soleil Neo Noir Private PropertyDarker Than AmberThe GetawayBring Me The Head Of Alfredo GarciaThe Killer Inside Me (1976), Paris, TexasTo Live and Die in L.A., SiestaKill Me AgainThe Hot SpotWild At HeartDelusionReservoir DogsRed Rock WestTrue RomanceThe Wrong Man (1993), Natural Born Killers, Mulholland FallsNo Country For Old MenCop Car, U Turn and probably a few  more I'm forgetting I'm sure.  I even consider Night of the Iguana a Film Soleil Noir

OK, what is "Films Soleil Noir?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Well, for once I'm not heart-broken, since as I stated above,  I don't love Bad Day at Black Rock  anyway.  Also,  I've seen it, at least twice.

However, your point is taken.  There are probably Canadian TCM viewers who are frustrated and disappointed that they'll be missing it. And the ridiculous thing is,  I know for a fact that Bad Day at Black Rock  has  been aired on TCM  and shown in Canada.  It's partly the apparent randomness, the inconsistency of the "rights" thing, that is so annoying.  It changes from year to year, it's totally unpredictable.

I'll be passing on Bad Day as well. I've seen it a few times and don't feel like watching it on Noir Alley. I might tune in for Eddie's comments, but won't watch. I agree it has noir elements, but the setting isn't Sat night noir for me..........Plus it's in COLOR!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ElCid said:

OK, what is "Films Soleil Noir?"

Noir visually has a yin and a yang.  

The Yin Noir are the Dark Noir, the  Night Noir, the Shadow Noir, the City based Noir where what you can't see can kill you, it's  what you usually think of when you hear the term Film Noir. The Yang Noir are The Film Soleil Noir, those bright, sun baked, usually desert or tropical based Noir, where everything you see can kill you.

The stories are the same the visuals are just different, and as in the symbol below The Yin are predominantly dark but do have some brightness (think of a film like Out of The Past ) it's visually predominantly dark but does have some brightness, the small town Jeff Bailey Garage/Sierra sequences. While a Yang Noir, a Film Soleil Noir is predominantly visually light but does have some darkness (think of a film like Bad Day At Black Rock) mostly the bright desert but the final denouement is at night

WaqgoNm.jpg

Cinemonkey: Robin Wood Bibliography: Introduction

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lee Marvin has always come across to me as second rate, or about as hammy as you can get, third rate.  I think this is the one where Robert Ryan looks kinda sissy, his pants don’t fit right, his belt is too tight, but because Dargo believes I believe too.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Thompson said:

Lee Marvin has always come across to me as second rate, or about as hammy as you can get, third rate.  I think this is the one where Robert Ryan looks kinda sissy, his pants don’t fit right, his belt is too tight, but because Dargo believes I believe too.

LOL

Yeah, and not to mention and just like George Raft, Ryan ALSO had those "girly" kind'a ears TOO, huh Thompson! ;)

(...just playin' along here of course, as I still have NO idea what you meant a few weeks back when you said this about Ol' Stoneface Raft's ears???)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Thompson said:

Lee Marvin has always come across to me as second rate, or about as hammy as you can get, third rate.  I think this is the one where Robert Ryan looks kinda sissy, his pants don’t fit right, his belt is too tight, but because Dargo believes I believe too.

In Bad  Day at Black Rock the Ryan character is kinda of a sissy (using your terminology):    oh he can shoot unarmed men and women but he wasn't willing to even take on a one-armed man.      Instead for anything physical Ryan sends Marvin or Borgnine.       Thus I assume Ryan's look was intentional by the costume department \ director.

Compare that to how Ryan looks in The Racket;   Here the Ryan character is a full on tough guy,  even beating up his own goons.    There are a few shots where the camera angle is such that Ryan dominates everyone else in the scene looking 10 feet tall.              

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I know. LOL.

If you look at it from another perspective you could say (since it was a matter of artistic choice) that Leave Her To Heaven, Hell's Island, Niagara, Strictly Scarlet, Bad Day At Black Rock, etc., etc., were actually the first Neo Noir and the only difference between Noir and Neo Noir was that use of color until the demise of the Hayes (MPPC) Code and the change in the obscenity laws.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

In Bad  Day at Black Rock the Ryan character is kinda of a sissy (using your terminology):    oh he can shoot unarmed men and women but he wasn't willing to even take on a one-armed man.      Instead for anything physical Ryan sends Marvin or Borgnine.       Thus I assume Ryan's look was intentional by the costume department \ director.

Compare that to how Ryan looks in The Racket;   Here the Ryan character is a full on tough guy,  even beating up his own goons.    There are a few shots where the camera angle is such that Ryan dominates everyone else in the scene looking 10 feet tall.              

Robert Ryan is my favorite actor.  He is riveting.  I did not like The Wild Bunch (didn’t Peckinpah direct that Billy the Kid western where Dylan read the labels off of can goods and Kristofferson turns in the worst acting performance ever?) and I reserve judgment on Bad Day until Sunday.  Yes, I know Ryan can play roles like the one in Dirty Dozen and he can play them to a tee.  My favorite Ryan film is Odds Against Tomorrow.  Watching that movie for a second time  drove me to this board.  Noir, yeah!, let’s get the skinny on these films like Gun Crazy et al that I’ve never heard of.  Thanks to you peoples I’m a happier man and nicer to my neighbors.

Dargo, certainly you notice ears.  Most of the time it’s the big ones that stand out.  Or those ears that have some kinda growth coming out of them.  Stone Face is okay, he’s a heck of a lot better than Nicholas Cage.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Caught Impact last  night. Saw it before a while back.  Pretty decent flick, though I'd call it more of  a murder movie  than a

noir, one of  those wife trying to bump off her husband using  here lover as the doer. But things go  awry and  that puts the

plot in high gear. Not going to give a synopsis because it gets rather complicated.  Brian  Donlevy is the hubby, Helen Walker

is  the wife and Ella Raines plays the woman he meets  in a small town in Idaho where he finds how life is outside  the big city.

And wouldn't you know it, they fall in love. Aww. One of those older man/younger woman things (19 years  age difference if

anyone's counting). Donlevy finally goes back to reveal he's still alive and he runs straight into legal mess. which  is eventually

sorted out and things end  on a happy note. Maybe call  it a Norman Rockwell noir. It's certainly better than some of the dogs

Eddie has shown recently on NA.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen Impact,  Vautrin, and you're right , it is pretty darn good.  I actually had a videotape of the film  ( !)  but like many old videotapes,  it stopped working after a while.  Oh well, it's not like I even have a VCR anymore  ( there may be one languishing in my basement...)

Anyway.  I'm not a bit sad about missing Bad Day at Black Rock  this weekend  ( except in principle, re, Canadian rights issues, blahblah).

In fact,  I'm planning to watch a long-sought -after classic noir I've been wanting to see forever:  The Night has A Thousand Eyes  !!!  This is one rare baby.  Even TCM never  ( ??) shows it.  My husband saw it in some retail outlet in a mall, one that actually still sells DVDs.  So of course he picked itup right away  ( it was only 10 bucks,  but he would have bought it at several times that price.)

So while you guys are all vicariously baking in that hot desert sun of Black Rock,  I'll be watching Edward G. Robinson and Gail Russell  ( that big-eyed girl who always looks a little sad)  and John Lund  ( remember him, just a few weeks ago in No Man of Her Own  ?  )  in Night Has a Thousand Eyes.

I'm looking forward to this so much, I'm afraid it's almost impossible that it will meet my expectations.  But we'll see.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I've seen Impact,  Vautrin, and you're right , it is pretty darn good.  I actually had a videotape of the film  ( !)  but like many old videotapes,  it stopped working after a while.  Oh well, it's not like I even have a VCR anymore  ( there may be one languishing in my basement...)

Anyway.  I'm not a bit sad about missing Bad Day at Black Rock  this weekend  ( except in principle, re, Canadian rights issues, blahblah).

In fact,  I'm planning to watch a long-sought -after classic noir I've been wanting to see forever:  The Night has A Thousand Eyes  !!!  This is one rare baby.  Even TCM never  ( ??) shows it.  My husband saw it in some retail outlet in a mall, one that actually still sells DVDs.  So of course he picked itup right away  ( it was only 10 bucks,  but he would have bought it at several times that price.)

So while you guys are all vicariously baking in that hot desert sun of Black Rock,  I'll be watching Edward G. Robinson and Gail Russell  ( that big-eyed girl who always looks a little sad)  and John Lund  ( remember him, just a few weeks ago in No Man of Her Own  ?  )  in Night Has a Thousand Eyes.

I'm looking forward to this so much, I'm afraid it's almost impossible that it will meet my expectations.  But we'll see.

I googled it and got the below, but then I found the movie. 😀

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I've seen Impact,  Vautrin, and you're right , it is pretty darn good.  I actually had a videotape of the film  ( !)  but like many old videotapes,  it stopped working after a while.  Oh well, it's not like I even have a VCR anymore  ( there may be one languishing in my basement...)

Anyway.  I'm not a bit sad about missing Bad Day at Black Rock  this weekend  ( except in principle, re, Canadian rights issues, blahblah).

In fact,  I'm planning to watch a long-sought -after classic noir I've been wanting to see forever:  The Night has A Thousand Eyes  !!!  This is one rare baby.  Even TCM never  ( ??) shows it.  My husband saw it in some retail outlet in a mall, one that actually still sells DVDs.  So of course he picked itup right away  ( it was only 10 bucks,  but he would have bought it at several times that price.)

So while you guys are all vicariously baking in that hot desert sun of Black Rock,  I'll be watching Edward G. Robinson and Gail Russell  ( that big-eyed girl who always looks a little sad)  and John Lund  ( remember him, just a few weeks ago in No Man of Her Own  ?  )  in Night Has a Thousand Eyes.

I'm looking forward to this so much, I'm afraid it's almost impossible that it will meet my expectations.  But we'll see.

And it has  those good  looking A production  values, which  is nice  to see once in a while. Unfortunately, The Night Has a Thousand Eyes is not on YT,

though the trailer is, and like most trailers it's full of over  the top PR. This is the movie that the  entire country is talking about. Yeah. Sure.  From the

trailer I don't think I've seen this one before. Seems to have  a supernatural element to it. Gail Russell  is very pretty, but she did have a somewhat woebegone

look in her movies, at least in many of the ones  I recall. She also had an unfortunate private life too, so maybe that bled over a little.

I'll probably watch Bad Day. I've seen it three or four times but not recently. I've  always enjoyed the small town with a secret that a stranger comes along and

gets  mixed  up in. That plot is used fairly often in detective and western TV shows. I never even made it to DVDs. I still have a few dozen VCRs but my machine

doesn't work anymore.  I also still have an ancient VCR machine somewhere  out in the garage. This thing is huge compared to later models and instead  of just putting

the tape in, one presses a button and  the place  for the tape pops up, you put the tape in and then press the thing back into the machine and then play it. It

must be at least thirty years old.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I've seen Impact,  Vautrin, and you're right , it is pretty darn good.  I actually had a videotape of the film  ( !)  but like many old videotapes,  it stopped working after a while.  Oh well, it's not like I even have a VCR anymore  ( there may be one languishing in my basement...)

Anyway.  I'm not a bit sad about missing Bad Day at Black Rock  this weekend  ( except in principle, re, Canadian rights issues, blahblah).

In fact,  I'm planning to watch a long-sought -after classic noir I've been wanting to see forever:  The Night has A Thousand Eyes  !!!  This is one rare baby.  Even TCM never  ( ??) shows it.  My husband saw it in some retail outlet in a mall, one that actually still sells DVDs.  So of course he picked itup right away  ( it was only 10 bucks,  but he would have bought it at several times that price.)

So while you guys are all vicariously baking in that hot desert sun of Black Rock,  I'll be watching Edward G. Robinson and Gail Russell  ( that big-eyed girl who always looks a little sad)  and John Lund  ( remember him, just a few weeks ago in No Man of Her Own  ?  )  in Night Has a Thousand Eyes.

I'm looking forward to this so much, I'm afraid it's almost impossible that it will meet my expectations.  But we'll see.

Love your description of Gail Russell. I've been there where I've set my expectations so high, no movie could meet them. Hopefully "Night Has a Thousand Eyes," doesn't disappoint. Enjoy, I'm looking forward to your post-viewing comments. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was OK with Bad Day At Black Rock on Noir Alley. Ryan (Crossfire), Borgnine (From Here To Eternity) and Marvin (The Big Heat) had all established themselves as some of meanest villains in film at the time, they are a true Terrible Trio here.

In addition to the cast, my favorite thing about it is the color cinematography. Whenever I think of favorite color films because of the color, this is the first one that comes to mind. I never saw more beautiful blue skies with fluffy clouds in film before and then there is the brightly burning flames in the Molotov cocktail scene. You can almost feel the sun beating down in this, I suppose it could represent how beaten down some of the more sympathetic characters are ( Walter Brennan and Dean Jagger).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK. I don't think it's a noir, but it has a couple of the elements. I'm a big fan of Spenser Tracy.  His later films from the mid-fifties are my favorites. INHERIT THE WIND is a the top of my list. It's probably because my maternal grandfather looked a lot like Tracy, was about the same age and was a fairly liberal lawyer in Florida. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked this movie (3rd time) too but there were some problems.  I figured out that the town was full of cowards and that’s why they were always hanging around together.  Still, that seemed way far out to me that these guys would be always hanging around each other.  It didn’t seem like natural behavior.  I agree with Eddie and all that the script is good, the dialogue on the other hand is forced.  The timing is off or something.  It seemed way too cue carded.  I enjoyed the advertisement for Plug Chewing Tobacco on the side of the building.  Not a fan of Lee Marvin but at least he was decked out correctly.  Those might be the coolest cowboy boots ever.  And his shirt, he tries to tuck it in but it never tucks in.  That’s Noir for ya.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2022 at 11:54 AM, Hoganman1 said:

I liked BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK. I don't think it's a noir, but it has a couple of the elements. I'm a big fan of Spenser Tracy.  His later films from the mid-fifties are my favorites. INHERIT THE WIND is a the top of my list. It's probably because my maternal grandfather looked a lot like Tracy, was about the same age and was a fairly liberal lawyer in Florida. 

Spencer Tracy was also great in comedies.  My favorites  are Libeled Lady (1936) with Jean Harlow, William Powell and Myrna Loy, Woman of the Year (1942) and Adam's Rib (1949) both with Katharine Hepburn, Father of the Bride (1950) and its sequel Father's Little Dividend (1951) both with Joan Bennett and Elizabeth Taylor.  He was also in the ensemble cast of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recently watched and enjoyed a film noir I had never seen before:  1950's Night and the City directed by Jules Dassin, with a terrific performance by Richard Widmark.  Produced by 20th Century Fox, I saw it on Movies!  (Yes, I have a DVR).  Since TCM doesn't own the Fox library it may not have been shown on Noir Alley.  But if you can find it, I highly recommend.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone should buy Eddie a calculator, or a calendar.

1955 +33 = 1988 for the reparations.

(Unless Reagan refused to leave the White House.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...