Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

May 2022 Schedule Is Posted - Anna May Wong is Star of the Month

cmovieviewer

The majority of the TCM May 2022 schedule has been posted.  Anna May Wong is Star of the Month.

My TCM schedule information page is at:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html

(You may need to refresh the page in your browser to see the changes.)

MovieCollectorOH’s multiple-month detailed schedule is at:

https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched-new.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for info...will try catch "The Vintage" (1957) on May 2, with Pier Angeli; Mel Ferrer.

Related to Mel Ferrer, I enjoyed film: "Fraulein" (1958), believe was on Fox Movie Channel last year.
For those who haven't seen it, he played escaped WW2 American P.O.W, 
and is helped by a German soldier's fiancée, also played very well by Dana Wynter.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

YAY! I love Anna Mae Wong, although she has far fewer movies as SOTM than our fave Joan Bennett. The Eastman House in Rochester NY just screened a string of Wong's movies every Tuesday night the past month.  Wah-impossible for me to attend but at least I have all of them on DVD.  All are  recommended viewing for every classic film fan.

Anna-May-Wong.jpg

910fdf7d830a4f5b2f2a4d9d97b2896b--flappe

this-is-a-photograph-of-miss-anna-mae-wo

anna-may-wong.jpg

Anna Mae Wong is a tragic figure: she was too "exotic" Asian for "regular" gal roles yet not Asian enough to play a Chinese woman in THE GOOD EARTH. Personally, I think she was great in any role given her, even the pandering stereotype roles which THE GOOD EARTH ended up becoming.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

YAY! I love Anna Mae Wong, although she has far fewer movies as SOTM than our fave Joan Bennett.

Thanks Tikisoo...

Although, I have heard her name...I knew nothing about her..

I looked her up...wow..

Here is one of the lengthiest bios of  any actor that I have read:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0938923/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

What a beauty:

Anna May Wong And Her Struggle Against Old Hollywood's RacismThe Life and Times of Anna May Wong

Looking forward to her movies...

• Like 1

I need to take a closer look, but it looks like a great month. I'm glad there's a birthday tribute to Theodore Bikel. Bikel created the role of Captain von Trapp on Broadway. Rodgers and Hammerstein wrote "Edelweiss" specifically for him. I'm  not a fan of The Sound of Music movie, but I love Bikel, Mary Martin, and the rest of the cast on the original cast album.

• Like 2

Another example of how pointless racism has robbed us of inestimable movie riches.   At least we have Shanghai Express (1932).  Even though her role is second to Marlene Dietrich, if you wanted, you could argue she gave the more powerful performance. 

23 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

YAY! I love Anna Mae Wong, although she has far fewer movies as SOTM than our fave Joan Bennett. The Eastman House in Rochester NY just screened a string of Wong's movies every Tuesday night the past month.  Wah-impossible for me to attend but at least I have all of them on DVD.  All are  recommended viewing for every classic film fan.

Anna-May-Wong.jpg

910fdf7d830a4f5b2f2a4d9d97b2896b--flappe

this-is-a-photograph-of-miss-anna-mae-wo

anna-may-wong.jpg

Anna Mae Wong is a tragic figure: she was too "exotic" Asian for "regular" gal roles yet not Asian enough to play a Chinese woman in THE GOOD EARTH. Personally, I think she was great in any role given her, even the pandering stereotype roles which THE GOOD EARTH ended up becoming.

69fju5.jpg

I see Anna Mae Wong every day on my "world beauty" wall (clockwise-Yma Sumac, Anna Mae Wong, Louise Brooks & Josephine Baker)

worldbeauties.jpg.c27557b29af82aecf03b419ef2b5cb52.jpg

If any of you missed it, I had posted an Anna Mae Wong display shrine built by a local student displayed in our historical museum. I imagine that's her name in Chinese charactors on the cartouche :

241648896_10159544393479489_794024913651

"Saw this lovely display honoring my favorite early 20's-30's actress Anna Mae Wong. The lights around her name blinked-so clever! I found this tribute to a great woman very touching, as her accomplishments are nearly forgotten today."

• Like 3

When I was in high school my PE teacher played the Broadway soundtrack of The Sound of Music on a rainy day.   I knew who Mary Martin was and stunned to see-rather hear-Marion Marlowe from The Arthur Godfrey Show as The Countess.   When the movie came out, I  knew I had to see it.

Several cast members are familiar to me.  Theodore Bikel, of course, but also Kurt Kaszner, John Randolph-both wonderful character actors-and  Lauri Peters who played Katie in Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation.

I've never seen Anna May Wong on screen so this will be a treat for me.  TCM, you keep me learning and discovering even at my age.  Love you and all you fellow posters who let me know when I'm wrong.  

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 12:02 PM, Swithin said:

I need to take a closer look, but it looks like a great month. I'm glad there's a birthday tribute to Theodore Bikel. Bikel created the role of Captain von Trapp on Broadway. Rodgers and Hammerstein wrote "Edelweiss" specifically for him. I'm  not a fan of The Sound of Music movie, but I love Bikel, Mary Martin, and the rest of the cast on the original cast album.

I think I prefer the zombie version where Julie Andrews informs us that the hills are undead with the sound of music.

On 3/20/2022 at 3:05 PM, slaytonf said:

At least we have Shanghai Express (1932).  Even though her role is second to Marlene Dietrich, if you wanted, you could argue she gave the more powerful performance. 

I had remembered Anna May Wong as having much more screen time in Shanghai Express than she actually does, so memorable is her performance. I first saw her on an episode of Checkmate and then in Portrait in Black, and have always been a fan.

5 hours ago, skimpole said:

Is Merill's Marauders really a premiere?  I'm sure I've seen it sometime on TCM since 2006.

I believe you are right. I also saw Merrill's Marauders on TV, and it must have been on TCM.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings