Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scar of Shame party scene

Podiak

I loved "Scar of Shame" but I can't help but wonder if the two boys that dance (albeit briefly) in the Lido party scene are the Nicholas brothers. They were living in Philadelphia at the time the film was shot there and were performing in Phila. & NYC. The two boys in the film are about the same age the brothers would have been at that time. I wish there was a way to find out! Did anyone else see that scene (if you blinked you missed it...)?

On 3/15/2022 at 9:03 PM, Podiak said:

I loved "Scar of Shame" but I can't help but wonder if the two boys that dance (albeit briefly) in the Lido party scene are the Nicholas brothers. They were living in Philadelphia at the time the film was shot there and were performing in Phila. & NYC. The two boys in the film are about the same age the brothers would have been at that time. I wish there was a way to find out! Did anyone else see that scene (if you blinked you missed it...)?

The Scar of Shame was filmed in 1927 (but apparently not released until 1929, although sources seem to vary on this latter point).  Harold, the younger of the two Nicholas brothers (born in March 1921) would have only been 5 or 6 in 1927, and the shorter dancer in this party scene (starting at 57:37) definitely looks a bit older than that:

More importantly, even in the Nicholas Brothers' first credited film (the 1932 short Pie, Pie, Blackbird), at 7:55 in the video below, you can see how very short Harold still was at the age of about 10 or 11.  He doesn't appear any taller or older than the dancer on the left in Scar of Shame, filmed five years earlier.  Seems hard to believe his height wouldn't have noticeably changed in all that time:

So even beyond the fact that there doesn't appear to be any historical record of the Nicholas Brothers having appeared in any films before 1932, it doesn't seem physically plausible for the dancers in the two films to be the same.  (Their distinctive tap style also looks "looser" and more idiosyncratic than the dancers in Scar of Shame.)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings