Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Visual Design on Film

With all the hubbub about craft categories being cut from the Oscars this year, I thought that it would be nice to dedicate a thread to the visual design of films, the fields of Cinematography, Production Design, and Costume Design, the fields that make the films look entrancing. This is meant to be a hands on thread, so bring in as many pictures as you want, comment on Oscar nominees in those categories in the past, bring up unheralded greats in those fields, anything you wish, does not matter the era.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

With all the hubbub about craft categories being cut from the Oscars this year, I thought that it would be nice to dedicate a thread to the visual design of films, the fields of Cinematography, Production Design, and Costume Design, the fields that make the films look entrancing. This is meant to be a hands on thread, so bring in as many pictures as you want, comment on Oscar nominees in those categories in the past, bring up unheralded greats in those fields, anything you wish, does not matter the era.

Pre-Oscar, so I don't know if the following qualifies for your topic, CinemaInternational...

Robert Wiene's German Expressionist take, Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (1920):

The_Cabinet_of_Dr_Caligari_Holstenwall.png

• Like 4

being japanese-american, and being a painter, my source of inspiration has always been in things japanese.

briefly,,,the world has always drawn on some aspect of japonisme since it's art was first "discovered" by the impressionist world in the mid 1800s. every generation seems to have been inspired in some way japanese prints and their influence in 19century art,,,arts and crafts,,,pottery,,,fashion,,,graphic arts,,,architecture(frank lloyd wright had the largest private collection of japanese prints),,,the connection of architecture to the lanscape,,,FOOD - lol,,,and to this discussion,,,japanese cinema.

i still believe "gate of hell" has the richest color i have ever seen on film.

but my favorite cinematographer is kazuo miyagawa and that is why i'm here. a quick overview - he was the cinematographer for "rashomon", "ugetsu", "yojimbo", "sansho the bailiff" "floating weeds".  so i'm just giving miyagawa a quick nod, and to make you wonderful people aware of one of the great b/w cinematographers of all time.

i'll be here to upload a few screenshots if you don't mind.

also i'd like to mention that there's a certain compositional stamp to many films from japan, in particular their use of framing, overlapping,  and space. it harkens back to their japanese prints...hokusai, hiroshige et al

first up....some screenshots of "gate of hell" - Gate of Hell won the grand prize award at the 1954 Cannes Film Festival, ait was a 1955 Academy Honorary Award for "Best Foreign Language Film first released in the United States during 1954", along with the Academy Award for Best Costume Design, Color,[6] 

vlcsnap-2022-03-16-18h33m49s617.jpg

vlcsnap-2022-03-16-18h34m08s702.jpg

vlcsnap-2022-03-16-18h35m33s126.jpg

vlcsnap-2022-03-16-18h36m36s612.jpg

• Like 5

No visual categories amongst the Academy Award nominations for the umbrellas of cherbourg, but I think Alicia Malone has stated that she would live under the umbrella of the 1964 movie if given the opportunity - not surprising given her seeming penchant for shades of pink:   

380985.jpg

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, NoShear said:

No visual categories amongst the Academy Award nominations for the umbrellas of cherbourg, but I think Alicia Malone has stated that she would live under the umbrella of the 1964 movie if given the opportunity - not surprising given her seeming penchant for shades of pink:   

380985.jpg

I believe in that same spot (with Ben, off to the side, playfully rolling his eyes) she said something to the effect of also wanting to look like Catherine Deneuve.

I know they are contrived, but I enjoyed those "casual" conversations with the hosts until they overplayed them to death. 

• Like 1

Awesome Topic Thread. There's Certainly Some Bottled Lighting Examples.

The Batman.

Oldboy. (Original one.)

Cloud Atlas.

Broken Circle Breakdown.

Never Gonna Snow Again.

A Very Long Engagement.

Blade Runner 2049.

Logan.

Okja.

Snowpiercer.

The Master.

You Were Never Really Here.

The Congress.

sinfully under the radar Alison Pil indie film called Zoom.

Sunset Song.

The Bang Gang. (Wild Bunch Production/Distribution Company)

Titane.

Revenge.

The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Dead Man Down. (Among im sure Reams of additional works of cinematic Art)

Some Absolutely Top Tier Exquisite - Transcendental Stuff

I was most impressed with 1978's DEATH ON THE NILE circa 1920's costumes, hair & make up so beautifully conveying charactor:

Costume-Design-Anthony-Powell-Death-on-t

Note "modern" clean silhouette of younger charactor vs flamboyant flapper and classic Edwardian (outdated) dress of older women. Also loose cropped hair for younger vs "tight" hair on older women.

Death-On-The-Nile1.jpg?fit=1000,563

It seems the men only wear black/white/cream costumes in this movie.

gal-gadot-in-the-tiffany-diamond-in-dotn

• Like 3

I was first captivated in classic movies by Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers movies. It culminated in the big dance number, most of the time with a glittering oversize Art Deco set. The shiny floor usually has some kind of design or pattern, presumably for camera marks. These were almost always done in really high contrast-very black blacks and sparkling bright whites which along with movement captures your eye. (my dog always watches too) Often, if the floor is black, Ginger wears white-if the floor is white, she wears black:

KdsM19.gif

729dc02a1f70172246a1f5ba62440304.gif

Note-both their legs are mid gray tones above ^^^

This set looks like an atmospheric movie palace:

c514e3fa-b9d6-4039-9b00-4959529c6173.9ec

maxresdefault.jpg

..and the sets were often symmetrical, to center the star dancers-

th?id=OIP.rdCxnshQgropj5BMDBkLXQHaEK&pid

1935-Top-Hat-Fred-Astaire-and-Ginger-Rog

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toto said:

In The Lord of the Rings trilogy, a whole fantasy world was created

I stumbled into a theater by mistake showing one of these & was underwhelmed. The lighting needs to be much better if you're going to build styrofoam sets & miniatures. I'm never entranced by CGI charactors/sets/backgrounds. Meh. 

Another favorite of mine for visual production and costumes is "An American in Paris" (1951) starring Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron and directed by Vincente Minelli.  The set designs incorporate the art of famous artists such as Dufy, Renoir, Van Gogh, Rousseau and Lautrec capturing the colorful, vibrancy of Paris.  In a dream, the Gene Kelly character dances with Jane Avril from Lautrec's famous painting of Parisian nightlife.  The costumes and scenery blend so well with the artwork.  The costumes are really interesting in the black and white ball scene at the end.

An American in Paris Movie Review | Common Sense Media     An American in Paris Movie Review | Common Sense Media     image.jpeg.3dd1dfa733c77bf5b3b10c30f9a88f74.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And we can't overlook the classic THE WIZARD OF OZ here.  

And photographically, NOSFERATU and METROPOLIS always knocks me out. 

Sepiatone

The use of shadows and black and white contrast give such an eerie feeling to Nosferatu.  Also, Nosferatu the vampire is so scary with characteristics of an animal (i.e. his teeth like a rat, claw-like fingers and his bat ears).  Really great makeup and costume.  This film is actually 100 years old!  Shows that amazing powerful movies were made that long ago.

image.jpeg.c67d064ebdccc9716cbea5949e5a71fc.jpeg     Nosferatu (1922) vs. Nosferatu (1979) | Movie Reviews    Apocalypse Later Film Reviews: Nosferatu, a Symphony of Terror (1922)

• Like 2

"Playtime" by Jacques Tati is an almost wordless story of a businessman lost in a modern world of technology.  Tati's movies are humorous and unique.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4364320068_cab75064c4_o.jpg   

In praise of Jacques Tati's Playtime

Amazon.com: Playtime (1967) ( Play Time ) [ NON-USA FORMAT, Blu-Ray, Reg.B  Import - France ] : Jacques Tati, Barbara Dennek, Rita Maiden, France  Rumilly, France Delahalle, Valérie Camille, Erika Dentzler, Nicole 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

1994's THE HUDSUCKER PROXY while mostly forgotten today, has always been a fave film of mine. It has a cute story told with explicit visuals. All  sets are split between cold tones of the City, buildings, conformity and hermetically sealed interiors in natural earth tones. The cold "City" is a charactor...always watching, always judging-

hudsuckerbkgd.jpg

hudsuckerproxy8.jpg

49%20(1067).jpg?bwg=1547466247

DeoYOef1QqEVuS65xKJMiL2ANQUqBf4zjR7skaSj

4333bec7ca767d8076f99e694359f103.jpg

The repetition of blue toned square sharped edged boxes reminiscent of the buildings, conformity, closing in on you-

29b921d56289ffd349f920487858372a.jpg

Screen+shot+2012-04-15+at+4.40.27+PM.png

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings