Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

St Patty's Day and other holidays

roamcajun63

It is March 17th (St Patrick's Day) and there are no movies on today to celebrate the day.  I know it is the 31 Days of Oscar but can't they take one day and celebrate St. Patrick's with "Darby O' Gill and The Little People" starring Sean Connery, "Finnegan's Rainbow" with Fred Astaire, "The Gnome Mobile", and others celebrating the wee folk especially the one with Randy Quaid and Whoopi Goldberg.  The Same could be said for other holidays like Lincoln's Birthday, Easter, and so on.   Who is the programmer these days for TCM, I would like to know cause I like to give them a piece of my mind.

• Like 2

A similar topic came up with Noir Alley and 31 Days of Oscar:  why didn't TCM schedule some noir films that had an Oscar connection on Saturday and have Eddie host them?

There are many Irish themed films with an Oscar connection that TCM could have scheduled today.

To me,  TCM missed many opportunities to be more creative with their programming during Oscar month.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, roamcajun63 said:

"Finnegan's Rainbow" with Fred Astaire,

Finian's Rainbow, as I have to remind the current movie-amnesiac YouTube Reactor-fan generation that says "Oh, it's St. Patrick's Day, you HAVE to do Boondock Saints and The Commitments!"  🤦‍♂️

At least they might do what every single danged local TV station did back in the day, and show the affordably out-of-copyright The Quiet Man (1952)--Sean Thornton was the George Bailey of local March TV.

Until there were reports of kids acting strangely at school whenever it aired:

Note that I was just watching ME-TV and Wagon Train and the episode  features Cliff Robertson as an Irish rebel that had to leave Ireland.

If ME-TV can do such programming (and I assume they are showing Irish related episodes on their other TV shows),   TCM clearly could as well.

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Finian's Rainbow, as I have to remind the current movie-amnesiac YouTube Reactor-fan generation that says "Oh, it's St. Patrick's Day, you HAVE to do Boondock Saints and The Commitments!"  🤦‍♂️

At least they might do what every single danged local TV station did back in the day, and show the affordably out-of-copyright The Quiet Man (1952)--Sean Thornton was the George Bailey of local March TV.

Until there were reports of kids acting strangely at school whenever it aired:

That would cut into their big screen Fathom Events showing this month.  The Quiet Man is playing in theaters today...

On 3/17/2022 at 11:48 AM, roamcajun63 said:

It is March 17th (St Patrick's Day) and there are no movies on today to celebrate the day.  I know it is the 31 Days of Oscar but can't they take one day and celebrate St. Patrick's with "Darby O' Gill and The Little People" starring Sean Connery, "Finnegan's Rainbow" with Fred Astaire, "The Gnome Mobile", and others celebrating the wee folk especially the one with Randy Quaid and Whoopi Goldberg.  The Same could be said for other holidays like Lincoln's Birthday, Easter, and so on.   Who is the programmer these days for TCM, I would like to know cause I like to give them a piece of my mind.

Has nothing to do with leftist politics. That’s why none are shown. Doesn’t fit TCM’s theme.

On 3/17/2022 at 4:45 PM, JamesJazGuitar said:

Note that I was just watching ME-TV and Wagon Train and the episode  features Cliff Robertson as an Irish rebel that had to leave Ireland.

If ME-TV can do such programming (and I assume they are showing Irish related episodes on their other TV shows),   TCM clearly could as well.

Maybe back when Robert Osbourne was around. Not today’s woke TCM.

16 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Has nothing to do with leftist politics

Well, as many people think the Academy is a group of  "pink-o" liberals, and it IS the 31 Days Of Oscar thing, it's easy to see where those who are obsessed with "idiot-speak" ("woke", "Karen" etc.)  would get that impression.

Sepiatone

On 3/17/2022 at 11:48 AM, roamcajun63 said:

Left wing woke people are the programmers these days.

I personally though the St. Patrick's Day programming in the past was a bit repetitive and unimaginative.  I'm not sure there are that many movies about Ireland.  I also didn't that much of The Wind that Shakes the Barley.  But it is a Palme D'Or winner, and it would fit the March 17 schedule nicely.

9 hours ago, skimpole said:

I personally though the St. Patrick's Day programming in the past was a bit repetitive and unimaginative.  I'm not sure there are that many movies about Ireland.  I also didn't that much of The Wind that Shakes the Barley.  But it is a Palme D'Or winner, and it would fit the March 17 schedule nicely.

Holiday theme programming is always a no-win type situation for TCM:    If TCM doesn't show what most viewers believe are the top holiday based films,  TCM gets a "what is up with that?":   I.e. these people want holiday programming to be repetitive and unimaginative.  

Then there are people (like me),  that wish for films TCM hasn't shown in a while.     Something similar happens with Oscar month and even with theme programming like Noir Alley (where Eddie is showing some lesser known,  low budget noirs and some people complain "where are the classics",  while others, like me,  dig it (even when some of the films are so-so).

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings