Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
spencerl964

Natalie Wood-(Natasha Gurdin) woulda' been 66 today July 20th!

(*-denotes OSCAR victory) It happened again?-(I'm hoping this at least is able to log-in & stay put? I'm also referring not only to TCM's crack editing team-(what is going on?) But, to my pals: classicsfan1119 & Mongo-(I just attempted to reply to you guys on the "RW," post & it was sent bye, bye!? & I recall you telling me it's just gotten worse too. By the way, you 2 great friends gotta' divulge--(personally of course!) the origin of your neat handles? That is, if you even get to see this?

Is someone drinking at the other end in Georgia up there or something?

Anyway, this is a very, very, personal topic to myself-(NATALIE'S B-DAY!) & I know this is generally Mongo's dish, but still do it please buddy! I'll just give a couple stats. She was actually born in San Francisco. Her actual name is a lot-longer & more Russian than just GURDIN by the way. Mer mother-(Mohd in Russian) is the 1 of whom virtually & physically pushed the then only 4yr. old Natasha-(she was so used to that name & didn't reply to Natalie, for about her first 7 to 8yrs in Hollywood!) Her debut was in a *Don Ameche film at 20th Century Fox from 1943 called: "The Happy Land" However, her breakthrough role-(not really the wonderful "Miracle on 34th!?" But, 1 yr earlier, in an RKO picture with: *Orson Wells & *Claudette Colbert '46's "Tomorrow Is Forever"-(she virtually stole it from those 2 biggies) Yeah, they let *Orson back in RKO to act, but not direct. & the rest is history. She didn't even get her star on "Walk-of-Fame," until 1987-(posthumously of course) It's at front of "Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel"-(of her pro goals: Winning an OSCAR, getting a STAR & having her hands in cement just across the street-(H. Blvd) at "Grauman's Chinese Theater" The latter, is thee only 1 she lived to see happen, unfortunately! Of her 38yr career in motion pictures, what are your favorite(s) or just fav.

(SIDEBAR: I must revise something I mentioned a little. Her ultimate goal in life, was to have a family. I of course meant career-wise) Below is a list of her only 3 ACADEMY AWARD Nominations:

1955 "Rebel Without a Cause"-(strangely, they nominated her for s. actress & she was flix leading actress!?)

1961 "Splendor in the Grass"-(her defintiuve role! & I have heard that more & more over the past few years too! She was robbed for Best Actress here as Denee! It woulda' been perfect t, with *"WEST SIDE," sweeping 10 same year)

1963 "Love With the Proper Stranger"-(Natalie knew she'd lose for this one though. Funny thing is, back then they had: "Harvard Lampoons Worst Movie Awards of the Year" & she was voted worst, of the same yr. she was nominated for it's highest honor? & being a good sport, she was the only person to accept her> "Worst Actress Award," in person up to that time!

For 1965, both Natalie & *Jack L. Warner-(WB's itself) thought she may finally take home the OSCAR, for "Inside Daisy Clover" Unfortunately, she was completely & again, unfairly ignored-(I say that knowing whom was nominated too) *Ruth Gordon, was the 1 to earn a nod. for the film

It was around this time-(& this is a wee-bit difficult, but TCM fans should know of the stuff the watch,etc At least in my opinion) She almost took herself out-(overdose)

Anyway, my fav. film she was ever in: "The Searchers" (1956)

Best role: see 1961 OSCAR noms. above

I've been to the tiny "Westwood, cem." in Westwood, CALIF. Only 3 & 1/2 acres. The big attraction for most there is of course Marilyn!-(also 2nd most visited grave on the globe, after Elvis!) However, on this day, Natasha had a lot more flowers!!! THANKS

Well, Spencer, even though her birthday isn't until tomorrow, thanks for the information you've shared with us.

I don't know for sure why you're continuing to have "posting problems"...TCM has fixed what was wrong on their end, and I'm no longer having any problems what-so-ever. I'm not sure about anyone else, but you're the only one who is still talking about having them. Did you see the post from the TCM Web Staff for what you need to do if you're continuing to have problems? Please look for their post to us, and follow their instructions for notifying them of your problems.

I suspect that there "might" be some "settings" that you need to make in Internet Explorer beginning in your "Tools", and I'll try to get back to you in an e-mail later today and lead you through making them. ML

Natalie Wood is one of my favorites she's so beautiful she kicked a## in ahhh I can't think of the title I'm losing it at age 34. The one where she's thrown on the stage by her mother the night they needed a stripper. Can't believe I can't remember the name -how aggravating.Of course there's Love with a Proper Stranger Looove that movie. She was such a lady and it is so interesting to see her on film how she puts on clothing or taking them off in Love with a Proper Stranger she could do everything with such ladylike finesse like as she dons scarf and gloves or removes them-such a lady. I believe everything she does and as I post that I think of the one movie I didn't like The Great Race but she's such a presence you can't take your eyes off of her. I wish she was still with us so sad what happened to her. I like Splendor in the Grass and I get so aggravated at that mother if I could I'd reach thru the TV and slap her. If she had left those 2 kids alone they would have been all right. I just love Natalie Wood.

I also like This Property Condemmed. It was nice seeing Mary Badham a favorite from To Kill a Mocking Bird and the scene when Redford first arrives and Wood is pursuing him and he says{he checked into the hotel which is jumping with women and song} and he says to Wood who is on the bed with him-not a direct quote but close- Hey if this is part of the service then lets get it over with I'm tired. I howled and of course Wood leaves. I've never seen Inside Daisy Clover.

I know what you mean about going totally blank on the title of a movie. Sometimes I can't even come up with the name of a well-known star! Anyway...it was "Gypsy". :)ML

Something that might interest other Natalie Wood fans - she expressed an interest in purchasing Frances Farmer's biography WILL THERE REALLY BE A MORNING? shortly after it was published, and wanted to play Frances in the movie version...but she couldn't get the rights.

Thanks to mypalspencer! 1 thing I forgot-(& had read about before 1st going west) Natalie had a thing for pennies-(I of course put a few, along with flowers, etc on her lil' grave) There were tons more on this particular day! & I had forgotten another thing. *W. Beatty-(1937-) in the earliest stages of "Bonnie & Clyde,' desperately wanted her to play Bonnie Parker. 0f course *F. Dunaway was excellent in it, but I can see her in that role.-(though to be honest *Dunaway is a greater actress) However, she thought it would be just another cheap Gangster flick! Thanx to all!

I like(d) Natalie Wood too, though I do find her endlessly screaming & pleading "Bud, Buddy, Buuuddd" etc. in Splendor in the Grass a bit annoying. In any case, I love the concept (though not the movie) in her last film, Brainstorm, where someone can record their thoughts, ideas, and/or images for someone else to view. Really blew my mind at the time.

We saw BRAINSTORM the week it was released. Kind of a mess of a movie and Natalie looked great, but distracted. It was very sad to know that we wouldn't see her in anything new again.

There was also some scene where a fly landed on her and she brushed it away....I was reminded that the director was just trying to get this thing done, and in any other BIG movie - this take might have been discarded.

Natalie isn't always the greatest actress in the world, but she is always beautiful in her movies, and always interesting to watch.

Loved her especially in MARJORIE MORNINGSTAR!