Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Doris Day: Images from a Hollywood Icon (special edition)

noah80

Guf6IR.png

To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of one of the most successful actresses and singers in the history of show business, Hermes Press is proud to announce the publication of DORIS DAY - IMAGES OF A HOLLYWOOD ICON, featuring rare and previously unpublished photographs from the late star's personal collection.

https://hermes-press.myshopify.com/products/doris-day-images-of-a-hollywood-icon-limited-edition-pre-order-1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Sunday, April 3 on TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES

Doris Day’s 100th Birthday Marathon

All episodes of "The Doris Day Show" have been newly restored from the original film negatives and will be shown for the first time in high definition. Philip Brown, who played Doris' son on the show, will join TCM host Dave Karger to discuss his memories of Doris and the series.

(Times listed are Eastern)

12:00 PM On Moonlight Bay (1951)

1:45 PM Love Me or Leave Me (1955)

4:00 PM Calamity Jane (1953)

6:00 PM Lover Come Back (1961)

8:00 PM "Doris Day Animal Shelter PSA" ('71) / "The Doris Mary Anne Kappelhoff Special" ('71)

9:00 PM "Doris Day Today" ('75)

10:00 PM "The Doris Day Show: Tony Bennett is Eating Here" ('70)

10:30 PM "The Doris Day Show: Billy's First Date" ('71)

11:00 PM "The Doris Day Show: Doris Goes to Hollywood" ('71)

11:30 PM "The Doris Day Show: The Hospital Benefit" ('73)

Doris' centennial celebration continues at the TCM Film Festival April 21-24, with screenings of The Pajama Game and Lover Come Back, plus a Q&A session with some of Doris' closest friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm so happy to see that a restored print of The Pajama Game will be at the Film Festival. Fingers crossed that it means we'll get to see a broadcast at some point. The brief wide-screen clip of the "Once A Year Day" number in the promo looks really great. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DougieB said:

I'm so happy to see that a restored print of The Pajama Game will be at the Film Festival. Fingers crossed that it means we'll get to see a broadcast at some point. The brief wide-screen clip of the "Once A Year Day" number in the promo looks really great. 

Pajama Game's on Amazon Prime.  I haven't watched it yet, but I'd like to check out the print.

4 hours ago, rosebette said:

Pajama Game's on Amazon Prime.  I haven't watched it yet, but I'd like to check out the print.

The one you can watch on Amazon with a Prime subscription is not good.  It's in wrong aspect ratio, the colors aren't great and it was in SD.    

On 3/18/2022 at 1:38 PM, noah80 said:

Guf6IR.png

To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of one of the most successful actresses and singers in the history of show business, Hermes Press is proud to announce the publication of DORIS DAY - IMAGES OF A HOLLYWOOD ICON, featuring rare and previously unpublished photographs from the late star's personal collection.

https://hermes-press.myshopify.com/products/doris-day-images-of-a-hollywood-icon-limited-edition-pre-order-1

Really enjoyed these pictures of Doris Day.  The picture of Doris on a tricycle as a child is so adorable.  You can already see Doris's famous smile!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

The one you can watch on Amazon with a Prime subscription is not good.  It's in wrong aspect ratio, the colors aren't great and it was in SD.    

I just watched it last night.   It looked like a blurry print, not great colors, either.  Compared to MGM musicals of that era, not that sharpness of color and image such as in American in Paris or The Bandwagon.  Wonder if Warners' has neglected that part of its library.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rosebette said:

I just watched it last night.   It looked like a blurry print, not great colors, either.  Compared to MGM musicals of that era, not that sharpness of color and image such as in American in Paris or The Bandwagon.  Wonder if Warners' has neglected that part of its library.  

Warner released a restored version of The Pajama Game on blu-ray in January of last year.  They're just not showing that version on Amazon.

Some screenshots are available at:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Pajama-Game-Blu-ray/134952/

• Thanks 1

Did anyone else see some of the TV shows seen on yesterday's Doris Day tribute? Philip Brown, who played her elder son on TV, had happy memories of working with her. He also talked about a visit he and his wife were able to make to see Doris at her estate a few years ago. Brown, now 64, is a very handsome man.

To see the sets, costumes, and hairstyles was a fascinating look back into the early 70s. Tony Bennett's smoking jacket! Doris singing "Both Sides Now" in the TV special. Rock Hudson with his McMillan and Wife mustache.

• Like 2

Yes, I watched the whole day from Love Me or Leave Me on! I wasnt about to get up early (early being noon!) to watch Moonlight Bay. I sleep in on wknds! Was a long day, but I enjoyed it. I hadnt seen the tv specials (a mixed bag) since they'd been aired. I really liked the segments with Phillip Brown (who must be in his 60s, but still looks good!) Provided some good insights about working with Doris and his relationship with her over the years. Sad the younger actor on the show died so young (motorcycle accident). For once, I thought Dave Karger did a good job in the segment.

Yes, the 70s fashions and hairstyles were amusing!

• Like 2

The highlight for me was Rich Little's impersonations of some of Doris's leading men.  (I've never heard anyone do Jack Lemmon but he nailed it!)  I laughed out loud during "Jimmy Stewart" singing along with her. 

Who doesn't love Doris?  Multi-faceted, underrated dramatic actress, sparkling, genuine, down-to-earth personality with the most wonderful laugh.   

My favorite Day movies are LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME and THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH.

I haven't seen CAPRICE yet.  ('60's spy spoof with Richard Harris)  It pops up on Fox Movie Channel but I always seem to miss it.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I thought a full day of her movies and later TV work was a fitting tribute ON her 100th birthday.  

I enjoyed it all last night.

Sepiatone

Not me. Not for 100th.

2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

The highlight for me was Rich Little's impersonations of some of Doris's leading men.  (I've never heard anyone do Jack Lemmon but he nailed it!)  I laughed out loud during "Jimmy Stewart" singing along with her. 

Who doesn't love Doris?  Multi-faceted, underrated dramatic actress, sparkling, genuine, down-to-earth personality with the most wonderful laugh.   

My favorite Day movies are LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME and THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH.

I haven't seen CAPRICE yet.  ('60's spy spoof with Richard Harris)  It pops up on Fox Movie Channel but I always seem to miss it.

You're not missing too much there. (Caprice) I think Doris went on record as saying it was her least favorite movie she made.  (Nice title tune though). That and Starlift which was more of a cameo, I think, she considered her worst films. She wouldn't even agree to promote Caprice. It has a certain appeal to bad movie aficionados. Doris tries her best with weak material. It's claim to fame was it was the last film released in Cinemascope!

• Like 2

In general I like Doris Day, but that 1975 TV special was pretty lame. I watched most of it, must have been a slow TV night.

At least she didn't sing Whole Lotta Love. And  that "comedy"  sketch with Tim Conway about the couple with the RV was

about as funny as a broken leg. Most definitely better on the big screen. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hibi said:

You're not missing too much there. (Caprice) I think Doris went on record as saying it was her least favorite movie she made.  (Nice title tune though). That and Starlift which was more of a cameo, I think, she considered her worst films. She wouldn't even agree to promote Caprice. It has a certain appeal to bad movie aficionados. Doris tries her best with weak material. It's claim to fame was it was the last film released in Cinemascope!

Caprice is like the Austin Powers movies done without the irony, so self-consciously "mod" that it's downright silly, but the kind of silly which can still tickle you if you're in the mood. A bunch of movies jumped on that bandwagon around the same time, the Derek Flint movies especially. Duffy with James Coburn also comes to mind, and Modesty Blaise was also modder-than-you'll-ever-be. Caprice was one of Frank Tashlin's last films and it has a bit (but only) of the cartoony charm of his best. He painted with a very broad brush and the plotline of narcotics trafficking in the beauty industry was the kind of simple-minded landscape he specialized in. The big problem was that society was changing so quickly that there was only about a two-minute window of relevance for a movie like this, then it became passe, maybe even by the time it was released. Even though Doris didn't feel well served by the movie, she's not really to blame for its shortcomings. She was the plucky Doris we know from her many comedies, but I think she knew she was being asked to play dress-up in the trappings of a much younger generation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, DougieB said:

Caprice is like the Austin Powers movies done without the irony, so self-consciously "mod" that it's downright silly, but the kind of silly which can still tickle you if you're in the mood. A bunch of movies jumped on that bandwagon around the same time, the Derek Flint movies especially. Duffy with James Coburn also comes to mind, and Modesty Blaise was also modder-than-you'll-ever-be. Caprice was one of Frank Tashlin's last films and it has a bit (but only) of the cartoony charm of his best. He painted with a very broad brush and the plotline of narcotics trafficking in the beauty industry was the kind of simple-minded landscape he specialized in. The big problem was that society was changing so quickly that there was only about a two-minute window of relevance for a movie like this, then it became passe, maybe even by the time it was released. Even though Doris didn't feel well served by the movie, she's not really to blame for its shortcomings. She was the plucky Doris we know from her many comedies, but I think she knew she was being asked to play dress-up in the trappings of a much younger generation.

Her hubby signed her to the film w/out her reading the script. She wasn't happy being forced to do it. It wasnt her fault the movie flopped badly with critics and audiences. She was really too old for the part (one could picture Raquel Welch doing something like this at Fox). It has some funny bits here and there and it has a curio quality appeal now. The film cant decide if it's a comedy or a suspense thriller and the 2 parts just dont jell together. It does have a great production design. And those mod fashions!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Vautrin said:

In general I like Doris Day, but that 1975 TV special was pretty lame. I watched most of it, must have been a slow TV night.

At least she didn't sing Whole Lotta Love. And  that "comedy"  sketch with Tim Conway about the couple with the RV was

Yeah, that Tim Conway bit wasn't funny at all. I did enjoy the singing parts. I think they were trying for a more modern Day for the special. I think they should have just let her be herself.

23 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I've never heard or read where anybody said she was  underrated.

19 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I watched it on a 50" flat paneled screen.  Ain't that big enough?  And if you can't think Tim Conway is funny ANYtime, you gotta check your pulse.  ;) 

And the Lockers were always  fun back in the "day" and seeing them again is always good. 

Sepiatone

Doris Day really had two movie careers.  The first was her series of musicals, my favorites being Romance on the High Seas, Calamity Jane and Love Me or Leave Me. 

Then she went into the second phase with her comedies beginning with an Oscar nod for Pillow Talk followed by my personal favorite Lover Come Back.

Of the few dramas she starred in, I really like the b&w film noir Julie and Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings