• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joan Crawford marathon weekend

kpo

• 2 weeks later...

*Huge fan...big fan of Joan Crawford fan here!!*

*To many films to show! It would have to be a week long festival!*

*_The Unknown_ (1927)* - Lon Chaney as carnival knife thrower Alonzo the Armless and Joan Crawford as the scantily clad carnival girl he hopes to marry.

*_Sadie McKee_ (1934)* - A great example of Depression era fantasy!

*_Paid_ (1930)* - The lead role was commissioned for Norma Shearer but she had to withdraw owing to pregnancy....then it went to Crawford ...the rest as they is "HISTORY"!!!

*_Dance, Fools, Dance_ (1931)* - Clark Gable co-stars as a crime boss; this is their first of 8 films together.

*_Letty Lynton_ (1932)* - OOP ...needs to be seen at last!!

*_Mildred Pierce_ (1945)* - Joan leaves MGM ...goes to Warner Brothers ...Wins an Oscar!

*_Daisy Kenyon_ (1947)*

*_The Damned Don't Cry_ (1950)* - Good role for Joan!! Very first rate! Joan is at the top of her game!

*_Johnny Guitar_ (1954)* - The film is beloved of French critics and filmmakers, such as Fran?ois Truffaut, who described it as the "Beauty and the Beast of Westerns, a Western dream".

*_Female on the Beach_ (1955)* - Needs to be seen to be believed...OOP!!!

*_This Woman is Dangerous_ (1952)* - Soon after the film was released, Crawford left Warner Bros. studio.

*_Sudden Fear_ (1952)* - Sudden Fear was nominated for Academy Awards for Best Actress in a Leading Role: Joan Crawford!!

*_The 60's were good to Joan to_:*

*_Whatever Happened to Baby Jane_ (1962)* Bette and Joan: The "Divine" Feud!!!!

*_The Caretakers_ (1963)* - Joan Crawford and Robert Stack in a story about a mental hospital.....CRAZY!!

*_Strait-Jacket_ (1964)* William Castle and Joan Crawford ..heaven!!!

*_I Saw What You Did_ (1965)* - It may be a cameo ..but a good one!!

*_Berserk_ (1968)* Aficionados of camp and B-films will debate the fine points as to whether "Strait-Jacket" or "Berserk" is the "better" of two essentially schlocky films!

But still fun for Joan fans!!

All of them don't have to be played. But two in a month when other stars are having MANY MANY MANY movies played is a little ridiculous! There were only three last month I believe. It really makes me think that she is still being treated like "box office poison" 60 odd years later!!

Joan,

Welcome to the boards! I'm betting you are not only new to the message boards but new to the channel as well!

Joan has been amply honored in the last few years by TCM. From all day birthday salutes to 24 hours during *Summer Under the Stars*, there is no way TCM considers Crawford "box office poison".

However, like all things, these tributes seem to come in waves. Right now, due to her previous tributes, it feels like Crawford's star is ebbing on TCM when, in fact, it is just taking a break and allowing the channel to honor other stars, both famous and not so famous.

Hang in there, Crawford's films will be back before you know it. In the meantime, as noted by other posters, it's a great way to discover new favorites as well.

• 1 year later...

Hey JoanRox, you wouldn't happen to be a Joan Crawford fan would ya? :-D Queen Joan is a legend she's nothing short of amazing! A marathon for her would be wonderful!

They had a Freddie Bartholomew night a while back and I was a little sad they didn't play more of his films than just that..they even pulled a rare one *Junior Army (1942)* I was sad to see that. You'll find out soon everyone has their huge favorites and want marathons for them all! I'm still a Freddie Bartholomew champion!

Fred, it's been a year and a half since this thread was active. I have no problem with Joan Crawford, I'm not posting about that.

My question is, How do you find and resurrect old threads as you do? It must take ages to search through all the old thread pages. You must have a better way - what is it, O technical genius of the TCM forums ? ( this is completely sincere, I've noticed you're very good at navigating your way around here.)

When "Torch Song" was made in 1953, I was just 11 years old and Joan Crawford, at 48, was only about 4 years younger than my grandmother. I grew up not caring to watch older ladies dance around with their legs showing as if they were a teenage Debbie Reynolds.

I didn't think my comment was worth a whole new thread, so I went to the board's search engine and searched for the keywords "Joan Crawford", and I posted my comment on the most recent Joan Crawford thread I could find.

Has the board monitoring policy about "old threads" changed?. It wasn't that long ago that I did something similar and it got locked out. (I hope I don't jinx this one). I think the policy of locking up "old threads" is dumb anyway.

Youi're the one. I recall seeing that not too long ago and when I've seen some subsequent threads revived, I thought of your situation.

Not wanting to jinx others, I didn't mention it.

Funny, most other sites I go to encourage the "search and revive" process. This is the only web site that I frequent that will penalize someone for trying to keep a subject all in one place.

Hey, this is kind of appropriate, actually...this thread is a metaphor for Joan's career. Just like the thread, Joan got old. But just when you thought you could count her out, she came back ! :^0

(Hey, if I don't laugh at my own jokes, who will? )

Joan is what she is; like her or not, you can't dismiss her (like this thread, I guess). You have to credit her for inventing a whole sub-genre: the Joan-o-drama.

Favourties: *Mildred Pierce* (of course) and *Johnny Guitar* .

*Joan is what she is; like her or not, you can't dismiss her (like this thread, I guess). You have to credit her for inventing a whole sub-genre: the Joan-o-drama.*

Joan didn't invent anything. People here with a need to put a label on everything came up with that one.

Speaking of the reason this thread was revived, while Joan still had a nice shape and legs when she did TORCH SONG, I always wondered how much better, or different, it would have been if the originally scheduled, and younger, Lana Turner had done it. Interesting when Lana was getting her first star vehicles at MGM over a decade earlier, the studio saw in her as a sucessor to Crawford (updating the dancing flapper of her first hits), as well as Harlow (the sex goddess angle).

Arturo: Sometimes I think you take me too seriously.

First, I am the one who invented the label "Joan-o-drama". I'm kind of proud of it, actually, I think it's very apt. However, in point of fact I believe I am the only admirer of the term, as nobody else on these boards has ever used it.

Second, I do not have a need to put a label on everything. In fact, I sometimes think it would be better if we ignored labels and just accepted each and every film on its own merits and style. Same with music, for that matter.

That said, you surely must agree that Joan Crawford was in a lot of melodramas, if we are going to talk genres, that was the kind of picture she acted in the most. So I just thought I'd play with her name a bit and came up with Joan-o-drama. It's not intended to be taken seriously, it doesn't mean I dislike Joan Crawford, and there's no need to be so poe-faced about it. ( Comme ca: :| )

Edited by: misswonderly on Jun 28, 2011 10:28 AM

>missw wrote:

>I'm trying to think of a male actor who would be the equivalent, but nobody specializing in melodramas the way Joan did comes to mind. Maybe Rock Hudson? A "Rock-o-drama"?

Perhaps Mel Gibson could be persuaded to make melodramas, and all we'd have to do is insert a couple of hyphens.

*I do not have a need to put a label on everything. In fact, I sometimes think it would be better if we ignored labels and just accepted each and every film on its own merits and style. Same with music, for that matter.*

This is what I'm talking about. Too many people here saying this film is a "western-noir' this, and a "joan o noir" that . . . the labeling thing is taken to ridiculous lengths. What really raised my hackles about your post, was when you stated that she invented a sub-genre; she did not.

*That said, you surely must agree that Joan Crawford was in a lot of melodramas, if we are going to talk genres, that was the kind of picture she acted in the most.*

Yes, but so did many other women back then. At Warner Brothers, Joan's berth from the mid 40s to the early 50s, other stars featured in similar melodramas during that period include Bette Davis, Ann Sheridan, Ida Lupino, Patricia Neal, even Lauren Bacall among the contract stars, and Barbara Stanwyck and Rosalind Russell among the free-lancers. So there was nothing unique in the type of film that Joan made there; in fact, we now know that the stars were interchangeable to an extent (insofar as a script meant for one might be offered to others there).

*So I just thought I'd play with her name a bit and came up with Joan-o-drama. It's not intended to be taken seriously, it doesn't mean I dislike Joan Crawford, and there's no need to be so poe-faced about it.*

I guess what really irks me about that label, besides the fact that the aforementioned stars all made "Joan-o-dramas", is that it preempts a perfectly acceptable, and long-accepted term (one of my pet peeves). I much prefer "Women's film". "women's picture", "women's melodrama"; (which, in point of fact, is what they were), to your term, or worse (to my sensibilities) applying something like 'chick flicks' to these older films.

Arturo, you still don't seem to "get" that I was kidding. Of course I don't seriously expect people to believe that Joan Crawford invented a whole sub-genre of movie. It just seemed fun at the time I made the term up to call the heavy duty melodramas Joan was in, "Joan-o-dramas". How could anybody think that was anything but playing around with her name and the type of film she was in most often?

As for all the other actresses you mention, yes, they were all in "women's pictures", dramas, whatever you want to call them. But seriously, Joan was in more of that type of film than anybody else, or at least, I'm pretty sure she's associated with them more than any other actress, whether the numbers would prove that or not I'm not sure. Maybe it's because Joan Crawford is so fiercely dramatic, her style was so intense. Plus, the other actresses you name were in other types of film too, but Joan was almost exclusively in melodramas ( ok, "women's pictures", if you will.)

There's no need to be offended, I assure you I do not seriously expect anyone to start referring to Joan Crawford's films as "Joan --dramas". And I do agree that lables, especially constricting and dismissive ones, are not helpful whatsoever in discovering the great world of classic film. They are most useful for "beginners" who want a starting place, some way to approach the movie they are about to see.

Actually, I dislike the term "women's pictures" or anything referring to the gendre of person who supposedly prefers that type of movie, because it presupposes that only women will like it, that men would have no interest in such a film. Lots of men might very well like a good melodrama, even if many of the problems presented in it are considered "women's issues". I do agree, "chick flick" is an idiotic term.

The best films rise above their genre labels, Surely we can agree on that? (pleasant-faced emoticon.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Jun 28, 2011 9:47 PM

Archived