Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Bowery Boys Are Back

Janet0312

34 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Beginning in April they are back on Saturday mornings. What gives? 

Are you mad or happy about this?

It's probably just due to the fact that THE BOWERY BOYS were in a lot of movies, hence they can fill up the time slot easy (and cheap, I imagine.)

Please don't anyone judge or hate me for this, but honestly, I find THE BOWERY BOYS kind of funny and they're all pretty good actors, even if the movies aren't.

3 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Well, TCM has finite reserves of programming, of course.  If I infer correctly, you are not happy about their return, and if that is so I happen to agree.  These films were churned out by Monogram and Allied Artists- 48 of them in all, and they weren't very good to begin with but they managed to get pretty bad and sad towards the end of the series. If I never again saw another of these films, I would be fine with that.

• Like 1

EVER saw?  Or, NEVER saw?  

For me they're a THREE STOOGES type of deal.  As in---

I loved them a lot up until a certain age( mid teens) and mostly "outgrew" them at that point. 

Still like their early work as THE DEAD END KIDS,  and those that stuck around as the EAST SIDE KIDS though.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

A while back TCM aired THE BOWERY BOYS movies every Saturday but missed a few. Those films have been and will likely continue to air until they've gone through that cycle. These four films are what's left from that original cycle. Fighting Fools airs a week from Saturday.

Fighting Fools (1949)
Here Come the Marines (1952)
Spook Chasers (1957)
Up in Smoke (1957)

I have to admit they still make me laugh. Mostly because the humor is so ridiculous.

I would like to offer some insight in watching Huntz Hall. It's easy to dismiss what he's doing as easy or without merit. It takes a lot of energy to play that part on a consistent basis through the film. He does it quite well. His delivery and timing are pitch perfect. Like those folks who "get" Shemp Howard, I believe Huntz Hall doesn't get enough credit for his work in this series of films.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed them when they were originally the Dead End Kids bouncing off Cagney or Garfield  at Warner Brothers.

Once they became "comedians," whether called the East Side Kids or Bowery Boys, my interest in them disappeared.

Dead end kids | Tumblr | The bowery boys, Classic movie stars, James cagney

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Are you (Ahem!) implicating dat's a bad thing, Janet0312?

I -- a Bowery Boys fan in the first degree -- magnanimously exalt, "Yippee! Yahoo! Hooray! And Hallelujah!"

7 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

I would like to offer some insight in watching Huntz Hall. It's easy to dismiss what he's doing as easy or without merit. It takes a lot of energy to play that part on a consistent basis through the film. He does it quite well. His delivery and timing are pitch perfect. Like those folks who "get" Shemp Howard, I believe Huntz Hall doesn't get enough credit for his work in this series of films.

AGREED!

IMO, the comedy team of Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall is sorely underrated. The pair had a chemistry, personae, and shtick that were every bit as winning, enduring, and endearing as their contemporaries Bud and Lou; Stan and Ollie; Moe, Larry, and Curly; and Dean and Jerry.

I get a huge kick out of Glenn Strange mincing about as "Sach" in Master Minds and Bobby "Pitbull" Slayton doing an impersonation of Hall in Ed Wood.

T'anks, TCM!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

They use to show up every Saturday morning on my local NBC affiliate. No cable, nothing else to look at then when I was a kid. They were boring then and they're boring now.

Boys? Boring grown men trying to make a buck, but not very funny. 

I can't imagine who would pay to see them on cable.

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

They use to show up every Saturday morning on my local NBC affiliate. No cable, nothing else to look at then when I was a kid. They were boring then and they're boring now.

Ah, yes, the joys of pre-cable TV.  Three channels- if you were lucky.

• Like 1

Sorry, folks. I should have made myself clear, but I thought from previous posts that you were aware of my fondness for the Bowery Boys films. I do enjoy them, not as much as when I was cutting classes to watch them way back in high school, but I do still like them. My ire is that TCM keeps showing them over and over and over on the Saturday morning line up. When the matinee idea that many of us requested began, there was plenty of variety and that's what's been missing for quite a while. There are plenty of other Monograms they could run or some Boston B l a c k i e films, Laurel and Hardy, whatever. But why they continue on and on and on with the Bowery Boys is what I cannot fathom.  Dig?

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Are you (Ahem!) implicating dat's a bad thing, Janet0312?

I -- a Bowery Boys fan in the first degree -- magnanimously exalt, "Yippee! Yahoo! Hooray! And Hallelujah!"

AGREED!

IMO, the comedy team of Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall is sorely underrated. The pair had a chemistry, personae, and shtick that were every bit as winning, enduring, and endearing as their contemporaries Bud and Lou; Stan and Ollie; Moe, Larry, and Curly; and Dean and Jerry.

I get a huge kick out of Glenn Strange mincing about as "Sach" in Master Minds and Bobby "Pitbull" Slayton doing an impersonation of Hall in Ed Wood.

T'anks, TCM!

Not to mention Sach's "Charlie's got an ax" routine.  Or Slip's query "I wonder where these stairs go?" and Sach's reply. "Down." Slip: "Smart, Sach. Smart."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

There are plenty of other Monograms they could run or some Boston B l a c k i e films, Laurel and Hardy, whatever. But why they continue on and on and on with the Bowery Boys is what I cannot fathom.  Dig?

Dig!

The Movies! network shows Blondie flicks during its Saturday Morning Movies lineup. TCM recently showed a smidge of the series as a tribute to Penny Singleton. I wouldn't mind seeing the entire series showcased on TCM. Boston B lackie*? I've seen only a few entries and wouldn't mind seeing more. I've never seen any of the Crime Doctor mysteries. Bring it, say I!

During my youth, I watched and enjoyed The Bowery Boys and East Side Kids comedies, as well as the Blondie, Henry Aldrich, Ma & Pa Kettle series. Ditto the Sherlock Holmes thrillers (with Rathbone and Bruce), Tarzan adventures, and Flash Gordon serial.

I'm always up for The Bowery Boys. But, I get your point, Janet0312. Variety. It is the spice of life, yes?

* Oh, for the luvva . . . ! B lackie is a "dirty" word on the TCM Message Boards?! Criminently!

• Like 1

The East Side Kids/Bowery Boys were basically made for kids, like Jungle Jim, The Three Stooges and the Abbott & Costello TV show.  I still like to watch them. The Bowery Boys were 40something men acting like 13-year-olds but didn't assault each other like the Stooges.

Leo Gorcey had a very troubled life and the series no longer had the mojo when Gorcey was fired. Sometimes it's better that I don't read about the private lives of Hollywood people.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Ah, yes, the joys of pre-cable TV.  Three channels- if you were lucky.

Well we were REALLY lucky in the Metro Detroit area!

We not only got all three major networks, but the CBC coming in from just across the Detroit River from Windsor, Ont.  And it was on THAT channel(9)  where I first saw all those old Weissmuller Tarzan movies and Bill Kennedy Presents, where the seed for my interest in "classic" movies was planted. ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

We not only got all three major networks, but the CBC coming in from just across the Detroit River from Windsor, Ont.  And it was on THAT channel(9)  where I first saw all those old Weissmuller Tarzan movies and Bill Kennedy Presents, where the seed for my interest in "classic" movies was planted. ;) 

Sepiatone

That sounds really cool. The only station that we got outside of Kansas City was from St Jo Missouri. But it was better than nothing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jameselliot said:

The East Side Kids/Bowery Boys were basically made for kids, like Jungle Jim, The Three Stooges and the Abbott & Costello TV show.  I still like to watch them. The Bowery Boys were 40something men acting like 13-year-olds but didn't assault each other like the Stooges.

Leo Gorcey had a very troubled life and the series no longer had the mojo when Gorcey was fired. Sometimes it's better that I don't read about the private lives of Hollywood people.

Leo Gorcey wasn't fired from The Bowery Boys series.  He quit because he was extremely despondent and depressed after the death of his father Bernard Gorcey, who portrayed sweet shop owner "Louie Dumbrowski" in the series.

Bernard Gorcey

bernard-gorcey-others.jpg

E=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

MV5BZmIwZDlkYTAtNWU0MS00MmQ5LWExODEtMTM4

Leo Gorcey

49254ea85abce717d26b14c50ef9b7ca--leo-go

jRvzOX4anNzvIF3W17jGwYqfWOiT2BPNcSMK2KHr

hqdefault.jpg

Père et fils

gorceys.jpg

%2BWyg=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

David%2BGorcey,%2BBernard%2BGorcey,%2BBi

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 12:23 PM, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

When was Bill Kennedy on Channel 9? I only remember him on 50. But, yeah, it's ultimately his fault I'm here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Giggles Widlansky said:

When was Bill Kennedy on Channel 9? I only remember him on 50. But, yeah, it's ultimately his fault I'm here.

Bill was on channel 9 from '56 to '69(when he moved to channel (50) .  Sure, you recall how he always read from a sheet of paper telling us not only what the movie was and who was in it, but also who produced and directed it, and sometimes the cinematographer, etc.  And by the early '70's he split host duties on the show with another guy whose name I can't recall.  He used to sign off the show by saying, "I hope you get what you want, and want what you get."   Do you recall that guy's name?

Sepiatone

On 3/24/2022 at 6:00 PM, TomJH said:

I enjoyed them when they were originally the Dead End Kids bouncing off Cagney or Garfield  at Warner Brothers.

Once they became "comedians," whether called the East Side Kids or Bowery Boys, my interest in them disappeared.

Dead end kids | Tumblr | The bowery boys, Classic movie stars, James cagney

Same with me. I could never get into any of the Bowery Boys comedies, even as a young one. 

And reading about their obnoxious off-screen behavior, particularly during the filming of ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES, certainly didn't endear them any more to me. 

I mean, I still love the movie, thanks mostly to Cagney's presence in there, but any movie where the gang themselves were front and center for most of the film, I take a pass at nowadays.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings