Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Americanization of Emily (1964) line Cromwell or Mussolini

BrianTcm48

I saw the 1964 film "The Americanization of Emily" when it came out in theaters and later on a videotape or DVD.

James Garner is an American naval officer and Julie Andrews an English car driver.

They meet and at one point Julie makes some remarks about Americans being uncultured.

James replies something like "Americans may be many things but we've never produced a Hitler or a Cromwell".

Years later I saw the film on a videotape or DVD and the line was there but "Cromwell" had been replaced by "Mussolini".

I thought that was odd as this would give Julie an obvious reply that neither Hitler or Mussolini were English either.

There is an obvious answer that I remembered the original film quote wrong, but is it possible that the line was changed for some reason?

So you are saying that years after the original release, who knows how many, somebody decided to make a change.  Who would that be?  Someone with authority to spend the money to arrange a dubbing session, and get James Garner, a major and expensive movie star, to come in and say one word.  And then round up all the prints of the movie, and superimpose that word somehow on all those soundtracks so that he would say Mussolini instead of Cromwell.

Maybe you misremembered.

1 hour ago, BrianTcm48 said:

I saw the 1964 film "The Americanization of Emily" when it came out in theaters and later on a videotape or DVD.

James Garner is an American naval officer and Julie Andrews an English car driver.

They meet and at one point Julie makes some remarks about Americans being uncultured.

James replies something like "Americans may be many things but we've never produced a Hitler or a Cromwell".

Years later I saw the film on a videotape or DVD and the line was there but "Cromwell" had been replaced by "Mussolini".

I thought that was odd as this would give Julie an obvious reply that neither Hitler or Mussolini were English either.

There is an obvious answer that I remembered the original film quote wrong, but is it possible that the line was changed for some reason?

From IMDb quotes: 

Lt. Cmdr. Charles E. Madison: You American-haters bore me to tears, Ms. Barham. I've dealt with Europeans all my life. I know all about us parvenus from the States who come over here and race around your old cathedral towns with our cameras and Coca-Cola bottles... Brawl in your pubs, paw at your women, and act like we own the world. We overtip, we talk too loud, we think we can buy anything with a Hershey bar. I've had Germans and Italians tell me how politically ingenuous we are, and perhaps so. But we haven't managed a Hitler or a Mussolini yet. I've had Frenchmen call me a savage because I only took half an hour for lunch. Hell, Ms. Barham, the only reason the French take two hours for lunch is because the service in their restaurants is lousy. The most tedious lot are you British. We crass Americans didn't introduce war into your little island. This war, Ms. Barham to which we Americans are so insensitive, is the result of 2,000 years of European greed, barbarism, superstition, and stupidity. Don't blame it on our Coca-Cola bottles. Europe was a going brothel long before we came to town.

Harrumph

"I've had Germans and Italians tell me how politically ingenuous we are, and perhaps so. But we haven't managed a Hitler or a Mussolini yet."

Note also the parallel structure of these two sentences.  In order for "Cromwell" to have made sense, the first sentence would had to have been changed as well.

Also, I just found the original screenplay online, and this passage is exactly as Lucky Dan quoted it:

https://www.scripts.com/script.php?id=the_americanization_of_emily_2728&p=5

Paddy Chayefsky, like David Mamet, is someone well-known for not letting anyone mess with any detail of his scripts.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings