Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bonus...

Sepiatone

Most y'all know I spend a lot of time(too much some would say) watching retro TV channels.  Mostly for the nostalgia, but also getting a kick out of spotting and naming the various character actors and actresses who frequent one show often and/or can be seen in almost all from a particular time period.  And too, spotting some aspiring young actor or actress at the beginning of their careers who sometime later have their own shows of rise to movie stardom.   And sometimes(but not often) I get a certain "bonus" as I call it concerning some actor or actress in a TV show who's significant.

Explain?  Sure....

I meant to post this yesterday but got tied up in some other thread and had to leave for an appointment before I could do this.   But Sunday, around 6:00 pm I was watching an old episode of GUNSMOKE from it's earlier hour long black and white period.  One of the shows with Burt Reynolds(NOT the "bonus" here) as Quint Asper( my Mom called him "Squint".  ;) ).  In this episode, it starts off with a man riding up to a house, dismounting and going to the front door.  The door is answered by a very pretty and young girl who looks happy to see him.  Shortly the dialog lets us in that the tow had something between them.  And apparently, she took it more seriously than him, hinting that she had hopes of marrying him.  He claimed to be fond of her, but not ready for marriage and that he had a jjob that would take him out of the area for long periods of time, but swore he'd be back some day and would come to see her.  It's obvious now that to him she was just a "dalliance" to him.

We later see the same guy carrying on with a farmer's wife(Sheree North) and after he goes the farmer returns home and finds the man's(named Kyle Kelley) bandana in the dirt in front of his house.  Demanding to know who was there, the wife claims it was his bandana and he storms off certain she's seeing someone.  He goes to Marshal Dillon's office asking what crime he can get away with "for free", mentioning his wife is seeing another man and that he'll take care of it.  Dillon implores him not to do anything to no avail.

We shortly see the young girl mentioned before as a saloon girl at the Long Branch.  Kyle walks in and sees her there and starts talking to her.  She seems disinterested, paying him little mind as another man walks up and says "hello" to her, and she seems interested in him.  And we then know she knows the man pretty well and that they're pretty close.  Kyle, not liking it, grabs her by the arm and pulls her away.  She wrests her arm free and tells Kyle to leave her alone.  The other man steps in and tells Kyle to stop bothering her and get out.  Kyle makes a slight move for his gun and the other man, with three solid punches, flattens Kyle, who slumps down to the floor.   When Kyle comes to, he swears to "get" the other guy.   And later he does, riding up to the other man's ranch, saying his name and letting the man in on his playing around with the other farmer's wife.  The rancher(who flattened Kyle out) knows and is friends with the cuckolded farmer.  Just then Kyle shoots the rancher and rides off.  The farmer(with the cheating wife), taking a mare to Dodge to get shod hears the gunshot and gets to the rancher's place to find the man still alive but close to death.  The rancher tells the farmer who shot him but dies while trying to tell the farmer it's the same man fooling with his wife.  The farmer has a peculiar way about him as he claims, "I never inform on anyone."  and reports the rancher's murder to Dillon but refuses to tell him who killed the rancher.  Somehow, Dillon is certain who the killer is, but without the farmer's testimony can't do anything about it.  After going to the farmer's home to question him again, but finding he wasn't home, the cheating wife, when the farmer gets back, tells him that Dillon was there and wanted to arrest him, thinking it was HE that killed the rancher.  All a ploy knowing that her husband would refuse to be arrested for a crime he didn't do,  and when Dillon returns once more the farmer, hiding behind a wall outside, takes shots at Dillon.  Dillon ties a white rag to his rifle barrel, hoping that calling a truce will draw the farmer out and he can talk to him.  The farmer refuses to agree to a truce and tries to shoot Dillon once more, with Dillon killing him in defense.  Judging by the farmer's wife's bland reaction to the farmer's death, Dillon figures out it was her set-up.  Thinking now she's free to run off with Kyle, the new widow meets him in dodge where he informs her they can't be together right now because of a job and blah-blah-blah...  And seeing Kyle played her for a fool as well, asks for one last kiss.  And while in that embrace, takes Kyle's gun out of it's holster and kills him.      What's all this have to do with some "bonus"?   Well, turned out KYLE was played by none other than KEN CURTIS, who in a couple of years would have a good run as FESTUS HAGGEN  !    Curtis cleaned up so good I really didn't recognize him until near the end of the episode.  I can't now recall another instance where a guest on a show shortly after became a member of the cast as some character other than the one played while a guest.  It's no doubt happened before, and I'm sure I've witnessed it, but it escapes my memory at the moment.  

Got any other examples?

Sepiatone

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Most y'all know I spend a lot of time(too much some would say) watching retro TV channels.  Mostly for the nostalgia, but also getting a kick out of spotting and naming the various character actors and actresses who frequent one show often and/or can be seen in almost all from a particular time period.  And too, spotting some aspiring young actor or actress at the beginning of their careers who sometime later have their own shows of rise to movie stardom.   And sometimes(but not often) I get a certain "bonus" as I call it concerning some actor or actress in a TV show who's significant.

Explain?  Sure....

I meant to post this yesterday but got tied up in some other thread and had to leave for an appointment before I could do this.   But Sunday, around 6:00 pm I was watching an old episode of GUNSMOKE from it's earlier hour long black and white period.  One of the shows with Burt Reynolds(NOT the "bonus" here) as Quint Asper( my Mom called him "Squint".  ;) ).  In this episode, it starts off with a man riding up to a house, dismounting and going to the front door.  The door is answered by a very pretty and young girl who looks happy to see him.  Shortly the dialog lets us in that the tow had something between them.  And apparently, she took it more seriously than him, hinting that she had hopes of marrying him.  He claimed to be fond of her, but not ready for marriage and that he had a jjob that would take him out of the area for long periods of time, but swore he'd be back some day and would come to see her.  It's obvious now that to him she was just a "dalliance" to him.

We later see the same guy carrying on with a farmer's wife(Sheree North) and after he goes the farmer returns home and finds the man's(named Kyle Kelley) bandana in the dirt in front of his house.  Demanding to know who was there, the wife claims it was his bandana and he storms off certain she's seeing someone.  He goes to Marshal Dillon's office asking what crime he can get away with "for free", mentioning his wife is seeing another man and that he'll take care of it.  Dillon implores him not to do anything to no avail.

We shortly see the young girl mentioned before as a saloon girl at the Long Branch.  Kyle walks in and sees her there and starts talking to her.  She seems disinterested, paying him little mind as another man walks up and says "hello" to her, and she seems interested in him.  And we then know she knows the man pretty well and that they're pretty close.  Kyle, not liking it, grabs her by the arm and pulls her away.  She wrests her arm free and tells Kyle to leave her alone.  The other man steps in and tells Kyle to stop bothering her and get out.  Kyle makes a slight move for his gun and the other man, with three solid punches, flattens Kyle, who slumps down to the floor.   When Kyle comes to, he swears to "get" the other guy.   And later he does, riding up to the other man's ranch, saying his name and letting the man in on his playing around with the other farmer's wife.  The rancher(who flattened Kyle out) knows and is friends with the cuckolded farmer.  Just then Kyle shoots the rancher and rides off.  The farmer(with the cheating wife), taking a mare to Dodge to get shod hears the gunshot and gets to the rancher's place to find the man still alive but close to death.  The rancher tells the farmer who shot him but dies while trying to tell the farmer it's the same man fooling with his wife.  The farmer has a peculiar way about him as he claims, "I never inform on anyone."  and reports the rancher's murder to Dillon but refuses to tell him who killed the rancher.  Somehow, Dillon is certain who the killer is, but without the farmer's testimony can't do anything about it.  After going to the farmer's home to question him again, but finding he wasn't home, the cheating wife, when the farmer gets back, tells him that Dillon was there and wanted to arrest him, thinking it was HE that killed the rancher.  All a ploy knowing that her husband would refuse to be arrested for a crime he didn't do,  and when Dillon returns once more the farmer, hiding behind a wall outside, takes shots at Dillon.  Dillon ties a white rag to his rifle barrel, hoping that calling a truce will draw the farmer out and he can talk to him.  The farmer refuses to agree to a truce and tries to shoot Dillon once more, with Dillon killing him in defense.  Judging by the farmer's wife's bland reaction to the farmer's death, Dillon figures out it was her set-up.  Thinking now she's free to run off with Kyle, the new widow meets him in dodge where he informs her they can't be together right now because of a job and blah-blah-blah...  And seeing Kyle played her for a fool as well, asks for one last kiss.  And while in that embrace, takes Kyle's gun out of it's holster and kills him.      What's all this have to do with some "bonus"?   Well, turned out KYLE was played by none other than KEN CURTIS, who in a couple of years would have a good run as FESTUS HAGGEN  !    Curtis cleaned up so good I really didn't recognize him until near the end of the episode.  I can't now recall another instance where a guest on a show shortly after became a member of the cast as some character other than the one played while a guest.  It's no doubt happened before, and I'm sure I've witnessed it, but it escapes my memory at the moment.  

Got any other examples?

Sepiatone

https://www.metv.com/videos/metv-originals/ken-curtis-played-7-different-characters-on-gunsmoke

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Explain?  Sure....

Got any other examples?

Sepiatone

I can think of a few:

• Frances Bavier played a Mayberry citizen in the pilot for The Andy Griffith Show before becoming Aunt Bee
  • Harry Morgan played a looney officer in M*A*S*H before becoming Col. Potter
  • There were a couple of these on I Love Lucy:  
    • Frank Nelson played various characters with his typical schtick before becoming the squire of Westport, Ralph Ramsey in the last season of the half-hour formatted shows
    • Kathryn Card played (almost unrecognizably) Minnie Finch before morphing into Lucy's mother, Mrs. McGillicuddy

I'm sure there are others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not exactly on the point here Tim,  but I mentioned that a few years ago here and that it tickled me in "Beaver"  that Floyd had the name "Andy",  but when he went to Mayberry  well, was probably forced to change his name.  ;)   And probably because Barney had a big hissy about it.  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

McNear had a lot of jobs on TV over the years.  On the BURNS and ALLEN show he was once the parks and public works director for NYC.  Then a bank vice president, and finally winding up as a plumber who was a widower with 5 gorgeous daughters.  Then apparently went to barber college and opened a shop in Mayfield , eventually moving to a new shop in Mayberry.  ;) 

Along the way I think he stopped off on a few westerns.

Sepiatone

14 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

McNear had a lot of jobs on TV over the years.  On the BURNS and ALLEN show he was once the parks and public works director for NYC.  Then a bank vice president, and finally winding up as a plumber who was a widower with 5 gorgeous daughters.  Then apparently went to barber college and opened a shop in Mayfield , eventually moving to a new shop in Mayberry.  ;) 

Along the way I think he stopped off on a few westerns.

Sepiatone

There was a different Floyd Colby/Lawson early on in TAGS - appeared in only one episode before McNear was hired.  He was played by Walter Baldwin.

To bring this back to your first post, McNear was on the radio version of Gunsmoke as Doc Adams.  William Conrad was Matt Dillon and another TAGS alum, Parley Baer, was Chester Proudfoot.  Gunsmoke ran on the radio from 1952 to  1961.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:47 PM, Sepiatone said:

Yeah.  I seem to recall an episode from the Noth- Dzundza  era in which JERRY ORBACH was questioned as a person of interest.

Sepiatone

I've seen every episode of LAW AND ORDER, at least up until Jerry Orbach's last episode. He was never a suspect in the show, but he did appear in the second season as a defense attorney. Paul Sorvino was the senior detective during this time, and Orbach would replace him as Logan's partner the following season.

Lennie Briscoe was my favorite among all the detectives.

• Thanks 1

I remember that appearance of him as a lawyer too.  ;) 

I enjoyed Orbach's appearances in films (and TV) for years before his stint on LAW & ORDER.  

And Lenny seemed to be everybody's favorite detective on the series.  :) 

Sepiatone

An actor playing different characters in different episodes has happened a number of times in the current version of: Doctor Who.

The most notable is: Peter Capaldi. David Tennant was The Doctor when he rescued Peter Capaldi who was the head of a family in Pompeii. Matt Smith was the regeneration of The Doctor after David Tennant. Peter Capaldi was the regeneration after that. It is explained somewhat after that regeneration by his saying: "You know, I never know where the faces come from. They just pop up."

Karen Gillan was a soothsayer in Pompeii in the episode with Peter Capaldi and returned as a permanent companion in the next season.

Mark Gatiss played four different roles. Two were as a friend and supporter and two were as enemies.

Jessica Hynes and Eve Myles both had roles where they appeared as ancestor/progeny.

There are several others but these are the most noticeable.

In Deadwood Garret Dillahunt first played the killer of Wild Bill Hickok, Jack McCall.  He then came back with a new look and played another killer, Francis Wolcott.

True Detective season 1 - Christopher Berry played two different characters.  One was the disabled husband, the other was the suspect Matthew McConaughey beats the crap braces in the interrogation room.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings