Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alliterative Actresses

skimpole

This letter from Ian Britain of Melbourne appeared in the latest edition of the London Review of Books:

Anne Archer, Beulah Bondi, Claudette Colbert, Claudia Cardinale, Deanna Durbin, Diana Dors, Doris Day, Dorothy Dandridge, Fenella Fielding, the two Helens (Hayes and Hunt), Jennifer Jones, Laura Linney, the two Marilyns (Maxwell and Monroe), Marjorie Main, Maria Montez, Melina Mercouri, Mercedes McCambridge, Nanette Newman, Paula Prentiss, Rene Russo, Rosalind Russell, Ruth Roman, Sheila Sim, the two Sylvias (Sidney and Syms), Stefania Sandrelli: movie buffs could have endless fun supplementing David Trotter’s list of film actresses with ‘first and second names starting with the same letter’ (LRB, 24 February). There are other GGs in addition to his subject, Greta Garbo: Gloria Grahame, two more Gretas (Gynt and Gerwig), and Greer Garson, whose career overlapped with Garbo’s and who was at the time almost as famous.

I'm sure people can think of others.  A chance reference to They Shoot Horses, Don't They?  reminds me of Bonnie Bedelia.

• Like 4

I'll go with DORTHA DUCKWORTH (1905-96).

DANIELLE DARRIEUX

PHYLLIS POVAH

JOCELYN JONES

GINA GALLEGO

GINA GERSHON

TAMMY TAYLOR (from "Malibu High" (1979)).

KAREN KOPINS (had a short-ish career in the 1980s w/ Once Bitten (1985), Jake Speed (1986)).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings