Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Poor Quality Signal...Again!

molo14

I got a blank screen and the message poor quality signal in green letters at the top of the screen just as *The Devil to Pay* was starting up today at 5:00pm EST. After about seven minutes of blank screen, with the alternating messages poor quality signal and no signal, the picture finely came on.

I have Comcast in Richmond, Va., but I believe "tcmprogrammr" has mentioned that this is a problem on TCM's end. It used to happen fairly often, then it slowed down and now it is happening more frequently again.

I have never seen this on other channels. Sometimes they freeze up or go blank, but never this particular message. I only see it with TCM.

Anyone else have this happen today? I hope they can fix the problem. Of course it never seems to happen when they are showing something like *Casablanca*, only when they are showing something very rare! It just irks me. :)

Sorry to hear about you poor signal problem today on TCM, especially during a day of such cool early talkie Ronald Colman films. No such problem with my Comcast cable signal here in Massachusetts. I watched "The Devil to Pay!" plus the movies before and after, and all came over perfectly.

Mololololo... :-(

Sorry to hear what happened with your signal. Someone else on the Message Board told me he gets Comcast and will miss a bunch of Darnell/Tierney movies on another network. Hopefully you'll get an answer to this problem. Were you able to see the Kay Francis film aired just before?

Hi Mad Hat,

I had something similar happen...I programmed my DVR to record The Devil to Pay

onto a DVD, but it had run out of room so it recoreded to the hard drive and the first few

minutes are a blank, black screen. I put it down to my mistake in programming but maybe

it was a signal problem?

I've never seen a message, though.

Thanks for the info!

I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem I need to address with TCM or with my cable company. I thought for sure that tcmprogrammr mentioned it was probably a problem on their end. That was a long time ago and I can't find the thread in the archives.

Hi CineMaven,

You know I don't even have "that channel" as an option on my cable. They even offer it in other parts of my area but not where I live. This was the result of a merger in which Comcast bought out the other area cable company that did offer it.

I did get to see *Cynara* without any problems.

Thanks Miss G,

I think we had similar signal issues. Seems like it only affected certain areas though. I did get the poor quality message. Maybe that is a message that not everybody gets even if it is the same problem.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> Sorry to hear about you poor signal problem today on TCM, especially during a day of such cool early talkie Ronald Colman films. No such problem with my Comcast cable signal here in Massachusetts. I watched "The Devil to Pay!" plus the movies before and after, and all came over perfectly.

I wasn't even paying too much attention, since I'd already recorded all of them during previous showings.

But I do hope anyone who's been having trouble with their signal can get the problem worked out with the cable company!

I just checked my recording. Yes, it happened to this Comcast subscriber, too. I got

the "poor signal" screen for about two minutes near the very beginning of the film.

I know this also occurred during the Hammer version of The Hound of the Baskervilles

a couple weekends ago.

I didn't watch TCM today, but I've gotten the "Poor Quality Signal" on several occasions, and I have Charter Cable. Personally, I think the goverment is sending out subliminal messages. How else to explain this overwhelming urge I have to cancel my travel plans to Rio de Janeiro?

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> I didn't watch TCM today, but I've gotten the "Poor Quality Signal" on several occasions, and I have Charter Cable. Personally, I think the goverment is sending out subliminal messages. How else to explain this overwhelming urge I have to cancel my travel plans to Rio de Janeiro?

Well, now that I think about it, it would explain a lot of things. ;)

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> I just checked my recording. Yes, it happened to this Comcast subscriber, too. I got

> the "poor signal" screen for about two minutes near the very beginning of the film.

>

> I know this also occurred during the Hammer version of The Hound of the Baskervilles

> a couple weekends ago.

Hi Frank,

Yes this happened in my area with Comcast when they showed the Hammer version of *The Hounds of the Baskervilles* as well.

Comcast, TimeWarner, Charter, that's three different cable companies. Sounds like the problem is probably with TCM but I don't understand why it doesn't affect everyone if that is the case.

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> Comcast, TimeWarner, Charter, that's three different cable companies. Sounds like the problem is probably with TCM but I don't understand why it doesn't affect everyone if that is the case.

Some of us have been "chosen." do do do do ....

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

>

> Some of us have been "chosen." do do do do ....

Oh great! Aren't we lucky? Maybe I should wrap myself in tin foil before tuning in now! ;)

What's up, Molo? -- Comcast, TimeWarner, Charter, that's three different

cable companies. Sounds like the problem is probably with TCM but I don't

understand why it doesn't affect everyone if that is the case.

I'm not sure why that is. I'd be curious to know if anyone else recorded

The Devil to Pay and if they had a "poor signal" near the outset or not. That was

a specific time when the "poor signal" occurred.

And I have experienced "poor signal" with TCM (and other cable channels) in the past.

In the world of recordings, it does suck.

>I'm not sure why that is. I'd be curious to know if anyone else recorded The Devil to Pay and if they had a "poor signal" near the outset or not

Hi Frank, I DVR-ed Devil to Pay and have been running it on slow fast forward with no glitches. I have Cox Cable here in Chargerville (Cable service is better here than our girdiron service). So maybe TCM is off the hook, then.

Hey, Super Charger -- Hi Frank, I DVR-ed Devil to Pay and have been running

it on slow fast forward with no glitches. I have Cox Cable here in Chargerville (Cable

service is better here than our girdiron service). So maybe TCM is off the hook, then.

Hmmmmm... I wonder if it's a time zone thing since you are Sandy

and I'm Harry. There's a joke there or a joker there.

Archived