Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Christopher Lee

DJMojazz7

Would be nice if Christopher Lee could have been considered  SOTM for May. I think Warner Bros still holds the rights to quite a few of his movies and as long as his acting career was, it would have been nice to see some of his early work, pre-horror.  He would have been 100 years old on 5/27.

christopher-lee_0.jpg

He was SOTM  before he died and appropriately in October of 2016, where a lot of the horror movies he was known for were already programmed so they just needed to fill it out with his non-monster roles. There are a lot of stars celebrating 100th birthdays this year and for many  it looks like TCM went with programming a whole day with  certain exceptions like Doris Day, who also got primetime programming. I think they'd likely at this point do better with scheduling a day long tribute since Anna May Wong is the May SOTM.

13 minutes ago, ladyday93 said:

He was SOTM  before he died and appropriately in October of 2016, where a lot of the horror movies he was known for were already programmed so they just needed to fill it out with his non-monster roles. There are a lot of stars celebrating 100th birthdays this year and for many  it looks like TCM went with programming a whole day with  certain exceptions like Doris Day, who also got primetime programming. I think they'd likely at this point do better with scheduling a day long tribute since Anna May Wong is the May SOTM.

Not sure why you mention Anna May Wong;  is that because her film legacy is so "light" that TCM programmers should have time-slots available (e.g. a full day) to show someone's 100th birthday tribute on their actual birthday?     (or just Lee since his birthday isn't on a day TCM is using for SOTM?).

Anyhow, I'm not a big supporter of birthday tributes even 100th ones,  since they can interrupt other theme programming,  and for me that other theme-programming is a higher priority.   If TCM can work in such tributes,  great,  but don't bump programming for them.

But hey,  I'm likely in the minority.  

I just happened to mention that Anna May Wong was the SOTM because the original poster mentioned that Christopher Lee's birthday is coming up on 5/27, so it would be unlikely since they already have Anna May Wong as SOTM for May that they would all of a sudden switch out her for Christopher Lee and that it makes more sense for them to devote a day and primetime programming to him  in May instead.  

Thanks for the clarity;   I don't think TCM would have an actor of Lee's "status" again as SOTM only 5 years later.   

Only a handful of actors are feature twice within a 10 year or so period.    (and mostly the major actors from the studios TCM features the most from the original Ted Turner library of films;  MGM,  Warners Bro. and RKO.

On 4/2/2022 at 2:23 AM, DJMojazz7 said:

Would be nice if Christopher Lee could have been considered  SOTM for May. I think Warner Bros still holds the rights to quite a few of his movies and as long as his acting career was, it would have been nice to see some of his early work, pre-horror.  He would have been 100 years old on 5/27.

I'll second the motion!

I know that Lee's "Karloff" (to his "Lugosi") -- Peter Cushing -- was a TCM Star of the Month during October 2020. But, I'd like to see all Horror Film stars honored with TCM SOTM tributes: Lugosi, Karloff (SOTM during October 2003), Price (SOTM during October 2013), Chaney père et fils.

And though his filmography is probably not expansive enough to accommodate a month's tribute, I'd like to see an evening's showcase of melodramas starring . . .

hOX2mFIHL7T9FZ1ohx8=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=

Tod Slaughter!

21 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

I'll second the motion!

I know that Lee's "Karloff" (to his "Lugosi") -- Peter Cushing -- was a TCM Star of the Month during October 2020. But, I'd like to see all Horror Film stars honored with TCM SOTM tributes: Lugosi, Karloff (SOTM during October 2003), Price (SOTM during October 2013), Chaney père et fils.

And though his filmography is probably not expansive enough to accommodate a month's tribute, I'd like to see an evening's showcase of melodramas starring . . .

hOX2mFIHL7T9FZ1ohx8=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=

Tod Slaughter!

Well, maybe we'll get something for him in June. His passing was on June 7th and maybe TCM will give him a tribute day.  Too bad James Bond films are a rarity on TCM. I would love to see, "The Man with the Golden Gun " air.  Loved Mr. Lee as Scaramanga.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings