Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM'S NICE CENTENARY TRIBUTE TO DORIS DAY

lilypond

Today, Sunday, after a little mini-fest of Doris's films, TCM aired a couple of her TV specials, followed by a few episodes of her 70's TV series.

The event was hosted by Dave Karger,   who I've liked, what I've seen of him.  He was perfect for this--  he has that earnest, boyish enthusiasm, that yet never goes overboard, and a lovely, attentive and respectful way with guests.  Here, he had Philip Brown, who as a little boy played one of Doris's sons on her series.

Philip Brown, probably in his 60's now,  was adorable--  he loved Doris, and had the best of experiences with her on set.  He was 10 when he played her son, and seemed so utterly smitten with her as a person.  The way he described working with her was as almost being in a sort of a force field, that was so benign and all-encompassing.  It was cute to hear him try to convey the special quality of it.

The sitcom seems very forgettable, except of course for the onscreen talent;  what a shame that they couldn't have concocted something that would have been a more fitting showcase. 

The musical specials, a mixed bag.    A long sequence of Doris riding in the Hollywood Hills on her bike, and singing her heart out, was actually pretty good, but too long.  The specials were in the Seventies, and trying so very hard to be hip and happening, and straining so hard after double entendres, etc.   Beatles tunes, ob-la-di, ob-la-dye (sp?) and so on, ha.   It was sometimes just too dissonant with the energy she put out.   They only scratched the surface of what Doris could do, and there were long dull periods, banal comedy sketches, etc.  But Doris had singular moments.   She had a very surprising chemistry with John Denver, of all people.   They were simply lying on the grass, head to head, singing "Sunshine" and it was a showstopper, just beautiful.

Anyway, kudos to TCM for doing this, and getting the right person, Dave Karger, to put it over.   

• Like 3

I really enjoyed the musical specials. I was a kid of the 1970's, and I come from a variety program/special-loving family. We watched them all, from Donny and Marie, Sonny and Cher, and Sha Na Na to Bing Crosby's Christmas specials! I had never seen Doris Day's variety specials, though. That lady really knew how to wear clothes! I agree what the above posters mentioned about John Denver, too.

The sitcom episodes were cute and very much like most others of that time period. I had never seen the show before, so it was a fun watch. Again, her clothes...🙂

• Like 2

ADRIENNE,  and SAGEBRUSH,   so glad you two were also struck by that duet with John Denver.   It was fascinating, the musical chemistry they had, and according to Karger, quite the friendship as well.

SAGEBRUSH,   seeing musical specials of the period makes me nostalgic too.    Andy Williams, Bing, Judy Garland.   The talent they brought to people's living rooms was staggering. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings