Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Early Columbia Gangster Movie-chase in Coney Island

Tikisoo

I just found the description of a title recorded off TCM on a sticky note SEPARATED from the disk! What does it go with? 

The description says: "Gangster receives lobotomy-cannot remember where money is hidden.  2mph chase scene with guns on carnival ride"

I clearly recall that scene: it's on a Mangel's WHIP making the scene absurd. A WHIP runs slowly on a circular track:

Anyone recall the name of that movie? I'm guessing it's back when movies were still made near NYC & the Whip was in Rye's Playland or Coney Island.

9 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I just found the description of a title recorded off TCM on a sticky note SEPARATED from the disk! What does it go with? 

The description says: "Gangster receives lobotomy-cannot remember where money is hidden.  2mph chase scene with guns on carnival ride"

I clearly recall that scene: it's on a Mangel's WHIP making the scene absurd. A WHIP runs slowly on a circular track:

Anyone recall the name of that movie? I'm guessing it's back when movies were still made near NYC & the Whip was in Rye's Playland or Coney Island.

I'm getting Svengoolie vibes with the gangster lobotomy bit. 

Edit - but if it's Columbia that rules out Sven.

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Man in the Dark, maybe?

3 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Man in the Dark, maybe?

Mmm, no it was an earlier film than the 50's, I want to say 30's. It has to star some charactor actor I like for me to have recorded it.  But it wasn't as mainstream as a Cagney or Blondell WB movie, more obscure. 

8 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Mmm, no it was an earlier film than the 50's, I want to say 30's. It has to star some charactor actor I like for me to have recorded it.  But it wasn't as mainstream as a Cagney or Blondell WB movie, more obscure. 

Here's the scene from Man in the Dark with the Whip ride gun "battle".  Video should start just before that scene.

THANKS TEXAS! You are absolutely correct! Maybe that's why I couldn't find it, I was looking in the wrong decade. Let's hope I find it & can put the description with it so not to forget.

It IS pretty hilarious the police officers jump in, one man per car and still can't hit the guy 3 feet away. You could apprehend him easily by just running up to the car & grabbing his arm. My carny friends will love that clip.

Just as illogical as the STRANGERS ON A TRAIN carousel. You can't belly crawl under the platform because that's where the poles go in the down position. And the platform starts out 2 feet off the ground on the outside edge banking in to less than a foot off the ground nearer the center.

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

THANKS TEXAS! You are absolutely correct! Maybe that's why I couldn't find it, I was looking in the wrong decade. Let's hope I find it & can put the description with it so not to forget.

It IS pretty hilarious the police officers jump in, one man per car and still can't hit the guy 3 feet away. You could apprehend him easily by just running up to the car & grabbing his arm. My carny friends will love that clip.

Just as illogical as the STRANGERS ON A TRAIN carousel. You can't belly crawl under the platform because that's where the poles go in the down position. And the platform starts out 2 feet off the ground on the outside edge banking in to less than a foot off the ground nearer the center.

You're welcome.  I was pretty sure that was it.  There can't be too many movies where a criminal hides money, has brain surgery that results in amnesia, and gets chased on a carnival ride!

The "chase" scene is pretty ridiculous.  In order for it to make sense, the cops would have to jump into those cars after the ride started.  If they got there while the ride was stopped for unloading and loading, they could just walk right up to the car and nab the guy!  For that matter, why not just shoot him from the loading platform as he "whipped" by?  And why doesn't he duck down to avoid the gunshots?  The cops need to go do some target practice!

I'm pretty sure they used this scene just to show off the 3-D effects (with the cars whipping towards the camera, and the point-blank gun shots).  This was one of the earliest 3-D films.

According to its Wikipedia entry, this is a remake of 1936's The Man Who Lived Twice.  It also said this one was shot in 11 days, apparently a rush job to get a 3-D feature out, I suppose.

Re: Strangers on a Train, I'd be surprised if a carousel could run out of control like that to begin with.  I doubt the motors are powerful enough to drive one that fast.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings