Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with title. please

Terrence1

I'm going crazy trying to come up with the title of a certain movie.   In the movie, a young woman (possibly Anne Francis) is unable to speak.  She is trying to communicate with someone by tapping a pencil against a telephone.  At first I thought it might be "Blackboard Jungle", but she is able to speak in that one.  Can anyone help?

On 4/5/2022 at 12:12 PM, Terrence1 said:

I'm going crazy trying to come up with the title of a certain movie.   In the movie, a young woman (possibly Anne Francis) is unable to speak.  She is trying to communicate with someone by tapping a pencil against a telephone.  At first I thought it might be "Blackboard Jungle", but she is able to speak in that one.  Can anyone help?

Maybe Dorothy McGuire in The Spiral Staircase. I haven't seen the film in years but I think there's a scene with Dorothy calling  Kent Smith Also try The Story of Esther Costello and Johnny Belinda, and Angel Baby  with George Hamilton. Does Jane Wyman calling Lew Ayres on the phone and tapping with a pencil seem familiar? It maybe one of the 4 films

I've seen all 4 but not in such a long time I can't remember which might have that scene for sure.

• Thanks 1

Lavender, I'm also familiar with all the titles you mentioned.  I don't think any of these is the movie I have in mind.  It would make sense that Dorothy McGuire could be the one, judging by the plot of the movie.  However, I don't believe that is it either.  Maybe my memory is faiing me and I only thought that I had seen this.     (Please forgive the underlined sentence.  That was a mistake.)

3 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

Lavender, I'm also familiar with all the titles you mentioned.  I don't think any of these is the movie I have in mind.  It would make sense that Dorothy McGuire could be the one, judging by the plot of the movie.  However, I don't believe that is it either.  Maybe my memory is faiing me and I only thought that I had seen this.     (Please forgive the underlined sentence.  That was a mistake.)

There was also a TV movie version of The Spiral Staircase with Elizabeth Montgomery.

2 hours ago, shutoo said:

Since Anne Francis did a lot of tv, could this be from a tv drama/anthology series?

Anne Francis did play a mute woman in an episode of Climax!, entitled The Deadly Tattoo.

This show was the rare 1950s color show that aired on CBS.  An anthology series, each episode ran 1.5 hours.  It was done live from Television City in Hollywood, and only B&W kinescopes exist, as the show predates the widespread use of videotape.   Most episodes are considered lost.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings