Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SHIP AHOY (1942) - One of Eleanor Powell's greatest dance routines!

yanceycravat

• yanceycravat changed the title to SHIP AHOY (1942) - One of Eleanor Powell's greatest dance routines!

Thanks, Yanceycravat.  I saw this movie promoted on TCM this week and am looking forward to seeing it on Friday.  I swear that among all the dancers I have seen on film, no one comes close to Eleanore Powell in the sheer enjoyment of what she's doing.  I watch her face as she smiles in the midst of bending over completely backwards or spinning to the point of actual lift-off from the earth.   The grit and discipline it must take to be able to tackle this kind of material are never betrayed by any look of anguish or discomfort on her face.  Always the sunniest, sweetest twinkle in her eyes as she swings through these movies for us.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

Gives me a smile every time I see it. Powell's exchange with Buddy Rich is simply fantastic.

Yeah & I always like seeing a dancer's underpants!

I love that choreography but noticed at least 7 cuts in that sequence, hopefully just for the different camera angles, not different "takes" seamed together.  I always enjoy Fred Astaire's dancing knowing it's one continuous take - we are really seeing him dance the routine straight through.

I also noticed tall Red Skelton bends his knees as if poised to dance, "shortening" himself when standing next to Dorsey & Lahr.... making his face line up with them for the shot. Nice.

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I love that choreography but noticed at least 7 cuts in that sequence, hopefully just for the different camera angles, not different "takes" seamed together. 

I was aware of the cuts too but, honestly, there's a lot going on there for one take. I'll bet they tried it. The sticks with Buddy Rich probably took a couple of takes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

I was aware of the cuts too but, honestly, there's a lot going on there for one take. I'll bet they tried it. The sticks with Buddy Rich probably took a couple of takes.

I had a similar thought when I saw all that sticks throwing - that had to take some serious practice. 

The movie is playing on TCM now and the dance number from the top of this thread just came on. I looked up from my computer, unmuted the TV and watched, so I saw it on a full TV screen. Holy smokes, what a number. Kudos to her for keeping her energy throughout, so  much so, she was able to catch those drumsticks at the end. Phew, I was exhausted just watching her. 

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings