Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rae Allen (1926-2022)

Swithin

Rae Allen, who died today, is probably best known to film lovers as the reporter who sang "Shoeless Joe from Hannibal Mo" in Damn Yankees.  She also guest starred on many television series, but it was in the theater that her heart lie.  When she won her Featured Actress Tony Award for And Miss Reardon Drinks a Little, she reminded the audience that she had been a sewing machine girl in The Pajama Game.

With her passing, Broadway has lost one of the greats from the golden age. In addition to her Broadway roles in The Pajama Game (Poopsie) and Damn Yankees, she appeared in Where's Charly, Call Me Madam, Oliver, Fiddler on the Roof, and On A Clear Day You Can See Forever, often as a standby/understudy/replacement. She was Diana Sands' standby in Shaw's Saint Joan.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/rae-allen-dead-damn-yankees-1235227017/

Rae-Allen.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1&resize=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRG-eGseo5lr79Tq5r90da

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPoO1qvUDnnmVsHjux5KS

• Thanks 8

3 hours ago, Swithin said:

Rae Allen, who died today, is probably best known to film lovers as the reporter who sang "Shoeless Joe from Hannibal Mo" in Damn Yankees.  She also guest starred on many television series, but it was in the theater that her heart lie.  When she won her Featured Actress Tony Award for And Miss Reardon Drinks a Little, she reminded the audience that she had been a sewing machine girl in The Pajama Game.

With her passing, Broadway has lost one of the greats from the golden age. In addition to her Broadway roles in The Pajama Game (Poopsie) and Damn Yankees, she appeared in Where's Charly, Call Me Madam, Oliver, Fiddler on the Roof, and On A Clear Day You Can See Forever, often as a standby/understudy/replacement. She was Diana Sands' standby in Shaw's Saint Joan.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/rae-allen-dead-damn-yankees-1235227017/

Rae-Allen.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1&resize=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRG-eGseo5lr79Tq5r90da

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPoO1qvUDnnmVsHjux5KS

Boy.

THIS can stop,. Like, RIGHT now

🎨🧸🎨🧸🎨🙏.

• Sad 1

I recognize the name 'RAE ALLEN' because she played Ron Leibman's put-upon wife in the absurdist 1970 comedy WHERE'S POPPA?   directed by Carl Reiner and I've seen "Where's Poppa?" several times.  

Since her heart was in the theater I reckon she had a good run living to see age 95. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

Boy.

THIS can stop,. Like, RIGHT now

🎨🧸🎨🧸🎨🙏.

Can I ask you a favor? Please get out of your own head and re-check what you've written before you hit "submit reply". Think about what your reply might mean to someone who isn't privy to the cascade of thoughts in your head. A thoughtful appreciation of a recently deceased actress has been posted and you reply with "THIS can stop. Like, RIGHT now"???? I saw that you tagged Swithin's OP with a Thanks, so I know you mean well and care about the subject, but please, please, please consider the effect such a cryptic (and seemingly dismissive) post can have on the rest of us. If this weren't common practice for you, I'd just let it go, but you've done this a lot. TELL us what's on your mind. Don't make us guess. If you're at a loss for words (which I'm guessing is what you thought should stop), then wait until you can find them. Please.

Anyway, thanks, Swithin for including the number from Damn Yankees. It's been a while, so I loved hearing it again.

• Thanks 1

The 1971 Tony Awards show was the best. It was the 25th anniversary, and they featured songs from all the Tony-Award winning musicals, performed by the artists who introduced them. That was the year Rae Allen won her Tony Award. Here's the full show. Her acceptance speech appears around the 45:00 mark.

2 hours ago, DougieB said:

Can I ask you a favor? Please get out of your own head and re-check what you've written before you hit "submit reply". Think about what your reply might mean to someone who isn't privy to the cascade of thoughts in your head. A thoughtful appreciation of a recently deceased actress has been posted and you reply with "THIS can stop. Like, RIGHT now"???? I saw that you tagged Swithin's OP with a Thanks, so I know you mean well and care about the subject, but please, please, please consider the effect such a cryptic (and seemingly dismissive) post can have on the rest of us. If this weren't common practice for you, I'd just let it go, but you've done this a lot. TELL us what's on your mind. Don't make us guess. If you're at a loss for words (which I'm guessing is what you thought should stop), then wait until you can find them. Please.

Anyway, thanks, Swithin for including the number from Damn Yankees. It's been a while, so I loved hearing it again.

What's Wrong with being sad about an upturn in notable deaths? And voice said sadness.

If, we are to continue with this (I suppose) there are Definitely worse things to post about. I've Definitely Seen more ill advised threads around these parts. With that said, In All Sincerity (and in All Sincerity I MEAN that; No Disrespect to You Dougie in the event this might sound like I'm being a jerk toward your response); if You'd like me to Dougie I can Definitely See about taking that post down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DougieB said:

And I can see where someone here(where a preponderance of those who take everything out of context) might think Ari's post might be a negative reaction to how others state things, but right off I took it as a plea to "the powers" to stop with the deaths of long beloved show biz folk.

As for Ms. Allen, I remember the song even though it's been YEARS since seeing that movie, and never knew who the lady was that sang it.  

But sad news regardless, so----

Rest In Peace Rae.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swithin said:

The 1971 Tony Awards show was the best. It was the 25th anniversary, and they featured songs from all the Tony-Award winning musicals, performed by the artists who introduced them. That was the year Rae Allen won her Tony Award. Here's the full show. Her acceptance speech appears around the 45:00 mark.

Yes, I remember her winning!

On 4/7/2022 at 11:28 AM, Aritosthenes said:

What's Wrong with being sad about an upturn in notable deaths? And voice said sadness.

If, we are to continue with this (I suppose) there are Definitely worse things to post about. I've Definitely Seen more ill advised threads around these parts. With that said, In All Sincerity (and in All Sincerity I MEAN that; No Disrespect to You Dougie in the event this might sound like I'm being a jerk toward your response); if You'd like me to Dougie I can Definitely See about taking that post down.

Absolutely nothing at all is wrong with being sad about an upturn in notable deaths. That's beautifully stated, but you didn't say that in your post, which was my point. You're not a jerk and I know that you're very respectful to actresses (and actors) with milestones like birthdays and deaths. But "THIS can stop." in response to a death announcement was very confusing to me (and maybe me alone). Now that you've clarified what THIS meant to you, I guess I should withdraw my objection, but I still think you could benefit from reviewing a post like that before submitting it. If you know what THIS is, you could say it in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 10:52 AM, Hibi said:

WHY???

Seems like there's been a lot of (subjectively) Noteworthy Deaths. Not to make fun nor make light of it; it's rather inevitable. But for me. The Passing of (in particular) Sally Ann Howes, Cara Williams, and Arlene Dahl hit like a off color out-of-tune sledgehammer.

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

You're no Einstein yourself

Arthur Sasse - Albert Einstein sticks his tongue - Catawiki

Could NOT agree with You more. Honestly; It Would Be Ludicrous to think I was.  Who else has gotten in a wreck. With a Parked Car. In Their Own Driveway? 😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Me.

Shows How Naive You Are at some things dear Sir. 😄😂🤠😂😂😂

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings