Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Operation Petticoat


roamcajun63
 Share

Recommended Posts

How long has it been since we have seen epic military comedies like "Operation Petticoat" with Cary Grant and Barbara Eden and "Ensign Pulver" with Burl Ives and Robert Walker, Jr.????  I know there are alot of military movies out there but "Ensign Pulver" is the sequel to "Mr. Roberts"  and "Operation Petticoat" is the story of the submarine that was painted with the top half being pink and they were escorting nurses among other craziness.  Would be nice to see both these movies again on TCM.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, military comedies can be a hoot.  They seemed to be more popular in the past, but not so much anymore.  I don't know why.

Along with those you mentioned, there's the WILLY AND JOE  movies of the early '50's  TOM EWELL was Willy and DAVID WAYNE was Joe in the first("Up Front") but was replaced by HARVEY LEMBECK for the second("Back At The Front")   From '51 and '52 respectively.

Then there's THE WACKIEST SHIP IN THE NAVY with Jack Lemmon and Ricky Nelson '60.

Others here probably can, but for now I can't think of any until '70's  M*A*S*H.

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the ORIGINAL "M.A.S.H." movie.  I believe Loretta Switt was the only actor to actually be a part of the TV series.  BTW, I have been to the site where they filmed the series in CA.  It was a long hike in a state park but well worth it.  There was only an old rusted out Army jeep there but Helo site was noticeable.  Oh, my favorite part of "Operation Petticoat" was when a surface destroyer was going to sink them and the captain had all the nurses send up their underwear out of a torpedo tube, and the captain of the destroyer saw all the debris, threw a tri-hook into the debris, and it brought back a bra.  The captain stated that the Japanese did NOT have those.  There are other moments, but that one sticks in my mind.

Edited by roamcajun63
Addition
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, roamcajun63 said:

I love the ORIGINAL "M.A.S.H." movie.  I believe Loretta Switt was the only actor to actually be a part of the TV series. 

There were a LOT of actors  that were a part of the TV series.  ;) 

Unless you meant an actor from the movie who also was in the cast of the TV series, well, SWIT wasn't in the cast of the movie.  The only member of the movie's cast to play the same character in the TV series was GARY BURGHOFF who played "Radar" O'Reilly  in both the movie and television series.

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2022 at 12:49 AM, roamcajun63 said:

How long has it been since we have seen epic military comedies like "Operation Petticoat" with Cary Grant and Barbara Eden and "Ensign Pulver" with Burl Ives and Robert Walker, Jr.????  I know there are alot of military movies out there but "Ensign Pulver" is the sequel to "Mr. Roberts"  and "Operation Petticoat" is the story of the submarine that was painted with the top half being pink and they were escorting nurses among other craziness.  Would be nice to see both these movies again on TCM.

I love OPERATION PETTICOAT (great teaming of Cary Grant and Tony Curtis), love MISTER ROBERTS (Henry Fonda, James Cagney, Jack Lemmon and William Powell, what a cast!).

ENSIGN PULVER.....probably one of the worst and most unnecessary sequels ever made. Walker Jr. was no match for Jack as Pulver. Nor did he have the charisma that his dad Robert Walker Senior had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course there's Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) for comedic satire.

M*A*S*H beat Catch-22 to the theaters by about three months in 1970, and though Catch-22 is a fine war comedy (oxymoron of the day), not to mention Buck Henry's adaptation of Heller's book being painstakingly faithful, it has pretty much lived in the shadow of M*A*S*H

Then Good Morning, Vietnam came along in 1987 and put Robin Williams on the map.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, BunnyWhit said:

Of course there's Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) for comedic satire.

M*A*S*H beat Catch-22 to the theaters by about three months in 1970, and though Catch-22 is a fine war comedy (oxymoron of the day), not to mention Buck Henry's adaptation of Heller's book being painstakingly faithful, it has pretty much lived in the shadow of M*A*S*H

Then Good Morning, Vietnam came along in 1987 and put Robin Williams on the map.

 

Really,  Mork And Mindy put Williams on the map. Movie-wise, both '77's CAN I DO IT... 'TIL I NEED GLASSES?  and  '80's POPEYE  put him up higher on the status ladder, and '82's THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP put him over the top.  

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Really,  Mork And Mindy put Williams on the map. Movie-wise, both '77's CAN I DO IT... 'TIL I NEED GLASSES?  and  '80's POPEYE  put him up higher on the status ladder, and '82's THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP put him over the top.  

Sepiatone

I was under the impression that POPEYE was a bomb when it first came out. 

Movie wise, it was probably THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP that he made his first impression, but GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM helped skyrocketed him to movie stardom.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...