Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor, Comedian Gilbert Gottfried (1955-2022)

cinecrazydc

Comedian and 'Aladdin' star Gilbert Gottfried dead at 67 after illness

Fox News Flash top entertainment headlines 4/12

Fox News Flash top entertainment and celebrity headlines are here. Check out what clicked this week in entertainment.

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Listen to this article

0:00 / 0:58
1X
BeyondWords

Gilbert Gottfried, one of the most recognizable voices in show business, has died after a long illness. He was 67.

"We are heartbroken to announce the passing of our beloved Gilbert Gottfried after a long illness. In addition to being the most iconic voice in comedy, Gilbert was a wonderful husband, brother, friend and father to his two young children," the actor and comedian’s verified Twitter account shared on Tuesday in a statement.

"Although today is a sad day for us, please keep laughing as loud as possible in Gilbert’s honor. Love the Gottfried family," the statement concluded. 

The esteemed performer died just after 2:30 pm ET on Tuesday from Recurrent Ventricular Tachycardia due to Myotonic Dystrophy type II, his longtime friend and publicist Glenn Schwartz told Fox News Digital.

BOBBY RYDELL, ’60S TEEN IDOL AND 'BYE BYE BIRDIE' STAR, DEAD AT 79

Gilbert’s friend and podcast co-host Frank Santopadre said of Gilbert, "Gilbert’s brand of humor was brash, shocking and frequently offensive, but the man behind the jokes was anything but.  Those who loved and him were fortunate enough to share his orbit knew a person who was sweet, sensitive, surprisingly shy and filled with a childlike sense of playfulness and wonder.  He’ll be dearly missed by family, friends, fans and comedy-lovers the world over. To quote Gilbert himself, "Too soon!"

RAE ALLEN, 'SOPRANOS' AND 'A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN' ACTRESS, DEAD AT 95

Gottfried’s work in television soon led to roles in film. Most notable was his scene as business manager Sidney Bernstein in the hit sequel "Beverly Hills Cop II," for which Gottfried was lauded for stealing the picture "with a single scene."

Gottfried also did frequent voice work for children's television and movies, most famously playing the parrot Iago in Disney's "Aladdin."

The year has already seen the loss of several beloved comedians, including Louie Anderson and Bob Saget.

In January, Gottfried tweeted a picture of the three men together, with the text, "This photo is very sad now. RIP Bob Saget and RIP Louie Anderson. Both good friends that will be missed."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Gottfried is survived by his wife Dara,  daughter Lily, 14, son Max, 12, sister Karen and nephew Graham.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cinecrazydc said:

Gilbert’s friend and podcast co-host Frank Santopadre said of Gilbert, "Gilbert’s brand of humor was brash, shocking and frequently offensive, but the man behind the jokes was anything but.  

Gil could be raunchy--he had a VERY short stint as SNL writer, until they got a taste of his material--but he was new-generation classic borscht-belt pro.

I remember one VH1 show where comics were sound-biting about growing up with Hanukah, and Gottfried joked, "What better way to teach young kids to be proud of their Jewish heritage, than with a game where they try to collect chocolate gold coins?..."  😆

• Thanks 1

Beth, I was going to post that "acquired taste" thing also.

I liked him though.  He was different for sure, but it was a difference I took to right off.  And I do think(and hope) there'll be some mention and reflection of him on SVENGOOLIE as Gilbert was supposedly a Sven fan and was also on the show a few times. 

And when somebody younger than me dies I always get sad.

Rest In Peace Gil.  

Sepiatone

• Like 6

I saw him on 2 reality shows. Wife Swap and Unusually Thicke. In wife swap he got Alan Thicke's wife. He was cheap.  The idea of it is the first week the wife plays by the household rules but the second week they play by hers. She made him give a dinner party. Unusually Thicke was a sitcom-reality show. Alan had him for a fundraiser and got everybody mad. Alan was promising his son Robin would make up for it. I guess they made up because in wife swap, he said Alan fired him from his talk show. 

In keeping with the tradition that comics always hate other comics, Gilbert knew enough old-school about What Was Funny to do some hilarious deconstructive imitations of Jerry Seinfeld and Andrew Dice Clay:

(Gilbert as Seinfeld:  "Ever notice how we tie our shoes?....Whyyyyyyy do we tie our shoes?")

It was probably his best known comic shtick that didn't involve animated birds.  ("....AF-lac!  🦆 ")

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Beth, I was going to post that "acquired taste" thing also.

I liked him though.  He was different for sure, but it was a difference I took to right off.  And I do think(and hope) there'll be some mention and reflection of him on SVENGOOLIE as Gilbert was supposedly a Sven fan and was also on the show a few times. 

And when somebody younger than me dies I always get sad.

Rest In Peace Gil.  

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

That’s too bad.  He was a really great and really funny guy.  Wasn’t he?  I really loved him a whole lot.  We all really loved him a whole lot didn’t we?  Hey.  Remember when he was a guest programmer a few Octobers ago with Robert Osbourne?  His movie picks were

Of Mice And Men.

The Swimmer.

Freaks and

The Conversation.

He did a really wonderful and amazing job too.  Didn’t he and he and Robert Osbourne also joked around too.  Didn’t they and I can’t wait to hear Robert Osbourne on Gilbert Gottfried’s podcast.  It will be great.  I’m really looking forward to it a whole lot.  RIP Gilbert Gottfried. We all really love you a whole lot and we’ll all really miss you a whole lot.  Thank you so much for making us all laugh and for being the voice of Iago in Disney’s original Aladdin franchise and in Aladdin The Series.

• Like 1

It sure was.   A sharp comic and great mimic too.  Loved that bit about DAVID BRENNER and JERRY SEINFELD having a conversation.  :D

A joke he told on a roast back in the '90's is still a favorite and cracks me up:

"A man walked into his son's room and says, 'Son, if you keep m a s t u r b a t i n g you'll go blind!' "

"And the son said;..."

"Yo! DAD!  Over HERE!"  :lol:

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings