Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SEEKING MOVIE TITLE

durangodon

There was a movie about the making of "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone"...it was a behind- the-scenes look at the interaction among the people who were involved in the production. I don't remember the title of the movie, or the names of any of the actors, but I know I saw it on TV in the late Seventies or early Eighties. Can anyone tell me the name of this movie?

No, this isn't it... but good try, anyway. The film I'm talking about had actors playing Vivien Leigh, Warren Beatty, Lotte Lenya, et al. It was about what happened among the group when the cameras were off. I know I saw it, but every internet search I've done trying to find it has proved fruitless. I'm sure it would help if I could remember the names of ANY of the actors, but I can't. Still, thanks for the effort.

Ah, I was careless in reading your post.  Something like that might have been a TV movie,  if that would help.  Some posters here are expert in searching with keywords.   They might be able to help.  If you get no response,  it means nobody has been able to find anything,  not that they are indifferent. 

You have to do a search for a character named "Vivien Leigh".  Unfortunately, IMDb disabled this search feature a few years back, and there's no separate index of character names independent of the titles they appear in.  But, you can use Google to target imdb.com with a search for "Vivien Leigh."  Unfortunately, this also gets you all the film entries, bio, photos, etc. of the real actress as well.

I only found the following titles with Vivien Leigh as a character from the 1970s or 1980s.  I disregarded straight biographical documentaries.  These are films where an actress plays the part of Vivien Leigh:

• The Day of the Locust
  • Gable and Lombard
  • Darling of the Gods
  • The Scarlett O'Hara War

Only this last one is about the making of a motion picture, but unfortunately not the one you're looking for.

There appear to be quite a few new projects about her in the works.

On 4/16/2022 at 6:01 AM, durangodon said:

Every now and then when I feel like making myself crazy, I'll continue the search. Thanks for the tip. 

If you track it down, please let us know, because I'd be very interested in seeing it myself. One thing which occurred to me was that in the early days both HBO and Showtime were doing a lot of original programming and this seems to be the kind of thing they'd have been likely to do. (And you did say you saw it on TV.) I did a quick check of their programming histories and nothing jumped out, but I wouldn't rule it out. Recently, Showtime has been the source of some speculative short dramatic films (about 1/2 hour) based on real-life relationships and situations, such as Mick Jagger's friendship with Princess Margaret and David Bowie's early days with Marc Bolan when they shared an agent. I don't know if it would be considered a series, but there have been a number of them and I'm not sure how far back the practice goes. That was another reason I thought of Showtime as a potential source for your film.

I remember the Gable/Lombard movie done for network TV, as well as movies about other stars, so maybe a Movie-of-the-Week kind of thing on one of the networks? Also, could it have been part of a broader canvas, maybe something about Tennessee Williams or Vivien Leigh, of which The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone was just a part? And could it have been a British project because of the Vivien Leigh factor, maybe for the BBC, and had a one-time showing on American TV, possibly PBS?

Another avenue could involve Gavin Lambert, the screenwriter of the film. He was also a biographer and novelist who was friendly with many people in the film industry, notably Natalie Wood, who was involved with Warren Beatty for a good period of time in the 1960's and would have been privy to Warren's stories. In the early 1970's he published a book on the making of Gone With The Wind, for which he'd interviewed Vivien Leigh extensively. Maybe something could have come out of that? Since he'd written the script for The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, the conversation must have veered to that topic, at least casually. A quick search of Lambert didn't reveal anything either, though. Anyway, hope you find it without making yourself crazy. Sounds very interesting.

KTRK-TV (Channel 13) in Houston used to have a daily program from 3-5pm called "Million Dollar Movie". That's where I saw the picture in question. If I knew where to find a Houston TV archive that covered the years 1978-1985 (give or take 3 years either way), I might be able to find it. But that would be a major task for a such trivial question. I should say that the portrayal of the stars of "Roman Spring" wasn't particularly flattering, and I wonder if someone who was depicted in the movie bought the rights to the movie and then sent it down the memory hole, never to be seen again. Anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled for any clue that might lead me to the answer. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

2 hours ago, durangodon said:

KTRK-TV (Channel 13) in Houston used to have a daily program from 3-5pm called "Million Dollar Movie". That's where I saw the picture in question. If I knew where to find a Houston TV archive that covered the years 1978-1985 (give or take 3 years either way), I might be able to find it. But that would be a major task for a such trivial question. I should say that the portrayal of the stars of "Roman Spring" wasn't particularly flattering, and I wonder if someone who was depicted in the movie bought the rights to the movie and then sent it down the memory hole, never to be seen again. Anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled for any clue that might lead me to the answer. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Well, the FCC used to require all radio and TV stations in the US to maintain detailed program logs, but they no longer do.  The era you're interested in, however, would have had that requirement, at least for the first few years.  I believe the program logging requirement went away in the early 1980s.  So somewhere there existed a log of everything KTRK showed in that time slot.  Whether it's been retained or not is another question.  I did a quick search to see if the FCC maintains a program log archive, but I didn't find anything.  Of course, logs in that era would have been prepared on paper.

I didn't live in Houston, but I remember that movie slot.  My parents usually made a trip to Houston every summer to visit relatives.  The Million Dollar Movie was the first time I had seen the film Oklahoma!    They broadcast it over two consecutive afternoons, due to the length.  This would've been in the late 1970s or early 1980s.   We always got a kick out of watching Marvin Zindler on Channel 13's news.  The stations we got (local stations along the Red River, Oklahoma City, and Dallas) didn't have any outlandish personalities like that.  If anyone's seen The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, the over-the-top reporter in that musical/film is based on Marvin Zindler.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings