Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Barfly

Technicolor33

1 hour ago, Technicolor33 said:

No. I didn’t know the movie was based on a real person until after I watched the movie. Is he the guy sitting at the end of the bar ?

Center of the frame. This guy. 

qUJnoqQ.png

I can't find the exact line, but in one of his poems, he quotes neighbors he overheard talking about him. One of them describes him as the guy with the "pushed-in face, like a monkey." 

2 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Center of the frame. This guy. 

qUJnoqQ.png

I can't find the exact line, but in one of his poems, he quotes neighbors he overheard talking about him. One of them describes him as the guy with the "pushed-in face, like a monkey." 

I was right. I didn’t know how I knew it was the guy at the end. 

I'm a huge Bukowski fan and am still trying to finish reading all of his work (down to three more collections of poetry other than older stuff that is out of print).  This is one of four movies based on his works and the only one that he was involved with and actually this is probably my least favorite of the three.  Rourke's performance is off for me.  His delivery and cadence is just wrong and tough for me to get past.

Bukowski did write the novel Hollywood based on his experience of this film being made from pre-production to end.  Very interesting book and I recommend it if you're into filmmaking or just intrigued by the inner workings of studios.  At one point the director goes into a meeting with producers with an electric blade and threatens to cut his own finger off unless he gets something greenlit for the production.  Lots of celebrities are mentioned with barely disguised fake names (i.e. John Pell and his pop star wife Ramonna are Sean Penn and Madonna).

I finally got this on DVD for Christmas a few years back but i don't think its very easy to find.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings