Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"HE'S good-looking??!!"

slappy3500

Y'all can blame this post on Bracken for bringing up Vin Diesel in another thread. :) Like many men, I can't tell why certain guys appeal to women. (Remember when women thought that Woody Allen was CUTE!! :o) When it's obvious I can tell that a guy is handsome (Robert Redford, tom Cruise, Brad Armpit) but when a guy like Vin Diesel is a sex symbol, I am utterly clueless. I mean, to me, the guy looks like "Ready Kilowatt" the Con Edison mascot whose head is a light bulb. And Gerard Depardue? A big dorky guy who looks like Jeff Daniels after a steroid experement went horribly wrong!! Puh- LEEZE! Maybe you ladies can explain it but I DOUBT it. I guess it's like trying to explain to women why certain guys love Anna Nicole Smith. Ooops i'm sorry, it's her personality.... yeah,that's the ticket, her personality.

These so-called actors wouldn't stand a chance with the Gable's, Flynn's and all those from awhile ago. These guys today would mostly be extra's or given a line or two-and NOT millions to act? Wow, to act, that would be stretching the point!

I just brought up Vin ironically. I think he's just about the most questionable movie star I've seen in a long time. Although, I do have a soft spot in my heart for Depardieu and another big guy, John Goodman. Not necessarily for their looks, but for their talent.

Brack I know you didn't say ol' Vin was sexy, but he IS considered a sex symbol by tons of women and I was just wondering what women see in certain stars. Another guy I can't see women getting their panties in a bunch over is Mickey Rourke....unless maybe they saw him right after his yearly bath....:o

Well, boys here's one female who can tell ya that neither Vin Diesel nor Mickey Rourke does a thing for me---each in his own way are actors whose personal hygiene,(I suspect), might be hard to overlook. Thankfully, there's no smell-o-vision. I also think that conventionally handsome actors such as Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise are quite boring actors, even when they try hard.

Gerard Depardieu is another matter entirely.

See The Woman Next Door, Martin Guerre, Cyrano de Bergerac, Vatel, or even The Man in the Iron Mask for some evidence of his appeal and talent. Over about 30 years and some very moving performances, and alot of weight fluctuation, this fella's got it, in spades. I'd kind of like to see a movie in which Depardieu and that other appealingly battered French icon, Jean-Paul Belmondo play brothers sometime. They'd be quite a sight, at least to me.

I also understand the likability of John Goodman. No matter what he plays, he's got that teddy bear thing going on. Go figure.

I agree that Vin Diesel is at the top of the list of actors (using that term loosely, of course) with questionable appeal. Unbelievably, most of his fans are in their teens and 20s. And I can't imagine that voice of his conveying anything of intelligence. IMO, he was utilized best in The Iron Giant (not seen), and his voice was digitally processed with an echo, to convey the size and power of the title character.

Orlando Bloom is indeed pretty, but way too pretty and effeminate for me to believe in him as a romantic lead. I'm sure I'm in the minority on that opinion, though.

Johnny Depp is awfully scruffy (and seemingly hygienically challenged), but he does possess soulful eyes and fine cheekbones, plus an abundance of spirit and creativity that usually make up for his quirky manner and appearance.

I used to wonder, years ago, what was so good-looking about Richard Gere. Nowadays, however, I find that his grey hair gives him a more distinguished character actor look, and he seems to care a lot more about his work these days as well.

Yes, today's standards of "good looks" sure are strange. I can't even understand what's attractive about the sports world's David Beckham or Derek Jeter. Needless to say, I sure miss the likes of a Cary Grant or Gary Cooper.

Re: Depardieu. No doubt about it, the man has accumulated a very impressive body of work. The era in which he established himself was focused more on acting depth and raw screen presence. It was around the same time that DeNiro's popularity rose in America, and they even starred together in 1900. Their main difference was that Depardieu retained more of a romantic edge in his choice his roles, while DeNiro usually stayed within the anti-hero mold. Of course, with age, both men became far less fussy about their role choices, and Depardieu's many years of drinking have left him more closely resembling Quasimodo. But Depardieu's talent and charisma are still evident. One gets to feeling quite nostalgic thinking back to that period of the 70s and 80s, when it was still possible for actors to become established for aesthetic, Brando-like traits, rather than just physical beauty (and as alternatives to Redford and Beatty).

Thanks for the support on Depardieu, orson4ever. I fell in love with him when I saw Martin Guerre and tried for a long time to see everything he made in Europe (his American films leave a little to be desired although I kind of liked Green Card for some reason, couldn't get past a very bloody scene in the first 15 minutes of 1900.) I guess my favorite is Jean de Florette. But I miss seeing him these days. I have Sundance but they don't show his films anymore. But he is great, I just wish Hollywood could have figured out a better way to use him. He's not the convential leading man so I guess that's why he never caught on here, since hunky looks are more important than real talent in Hollywood these days.

• 1 month later...

This thread was started a long time ago, I know, but someone brought up that they can't see how sports stars like David Beckham and Derek Jeter are not good looking. Derek Jeter...nah, but David Beckham?! He makes me swoon. I am an avid soccer fan, and I liked him before he became super famous. Too bad ever since his last couple years at Manchester United, he's been more about promoting the brands than he is doing well on the soccer field, at least that's what I've read in a lot of magazines and whatnot. There are tons of hot soccer guys from England and all over the world, but they just don't get the media attention that Becks does. Too bad.

Anyhow, I agree with the notion that today's stars like Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Vin Diesel, etc, don't hold a candle to the likes of Gable, Flynn, Grant and the classy stars of yesteryear.

Who do you guys think from today will be remembered for their breadth of acting and pictures that stand the test of time? I can't think of very many who are really popular today.

-Kendra

Say what you will (and I'm not a fan) but I think Tom Cruise is one of the actors today that will be remembered for a long time. Tom Hanks (my favorite and only man besides Spencer Tracy to win back to back Oscars) is very popular and will be remembered. Those icons of the 70's--Pacino, DeNiro and Hoffman--still in the movies and will be til they die. Depending on his future choices, I think Leonardo Decaprio will be remembered because I do think he's got lots of talent but doesn't always make the safe choices. I won't mention any of the women since this seems to be a male thread (but I don't think any women today really measure up to a Davis or Hepburn.)

I think maybe Meryl Streep may be someone who is remembered. She's got a lot of talent, IMO, and she's been in some pretty big pictures. I totally agree, Tom Hanks will probably be one, and Al pacino, Robert DeNiro, etc. I don't know about Tom Cruise though. I honestly think Leonardo DiCaprio has potential too, he just hasn't been around in a long time. I liked that Gilbert Grape movie.

Does anyone forsee Titanic being remembered in like 70 years? I'm asking because, like all 8th grade girls, I was obsessed with it when it came out, and I remembered reading in a magazine that people were saying it has the popularity, but does it have the lasting power to survive through generations and be remembered so fondly like Gone with the Wind? At the time I thought, "Duh, of course." But then I saw Gone with the Wind and realized how much better it was than Titanic. With all of Titanic's gimmickry and technical effects, the script really was not that good, and I think it imploded on itself becuase kids like me saw it too many times and got sick of it. However, I could watch GWTW a million times and still love it. So I honestly don't think it will stand the test of time and come out strong, but that's just my opinion.

What do you think?

-Kendra

I think carole has touched upon a good point. GWTW was a great STORY, not just something to fill in between special effects and CGI. Gable, Tracy, Grant, et all actually had to ACT, not merely say lines. The same goes for the women, Hepburn, Davis, Lombard, et all. I think the problem with movies today is the stories just aren't as good, or badly re-cycled. The one modern actor I like is Tom Hanks. He can do it all, from comedies like The Terminal and The Ladykillers, to serious like The Road to Perdition and Philadelphia. Deniro is another who can do comedy as well as drama. But these actors are at the top of the heap and get all the good scripts either written for them or sent to them first. When you have stories tailor-made to your talents its easy to shine. But when you take away the special effects and the other geegaws, then you can really see who measures up.

IMHO, it's not going to be the "pretty faces" of today, or the winner's of the popularity contests for "Babe's & Hunks of the Year", who will be remembered 50 years from now, but will instead be the ones who took risks with their natural good looks, weren't afraid to age or put on a few pounds, and could act well enough to play a wide range of roles in more than one genre, and then play those roles to perfection. Like everyone, I have my favorites, and those who aren't exactly favorites. ;)ML

At least Robert DeNiro and Tom Hanks were long established before gaining and losing weight for roles. Charlize Theron, however, had proven little before Monster, and I still don't feel she displayed much "acting" besides making a lot of strange bug-eyed expressions and nervous tics. I was even less impressed with Halle Berry and Nicole Kidman for their "daring, glamour-stripped," Oscar-winning roles. What a ridiculous trend, bestowing Oscars on every beautiful woman who "dares" to look ugly. I can't imagine Monster, The Hours or Monster's Ball being remembered as films even 10 years from now, let alone for their lead actresses' performances.

Getting back to Hollywood's obsession with pretty faces in lead roles and the desired young demographic, I'm personally amused by this year's financially disappointing period pieces, like Troy and King Arthur (plus the risky Alexander still ahead). Now the trade papers are blaming this all on the genre; that Gladiator was a fluke. Hollywood felt that audiences loved the genre so much that they could replace the weathered, not-so-perfectly buff/handsome Russell Crowe with young hunks and the half-dressed Keira Knightly, attract younger audiences, and make twice the dollars. The importance of acting depth, maturity, intelligence etc. in making such fantasies believable never entered the minds of those "suits." Someday (maybe), they'll get the message that they depend on us "mature" moviegoers more than they think they do.

Archived