Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Natural

Technicolor33

Really?   I mean, if YOU got shot by some nutjob woman because(as far as you knew) you said something about being or wanting to be the greatest at something, YOU wouldn't hesitate before getting back into whatever it was, especially after a likely long recovery period?   And the fact WE never learn why she did what she did, and neither did Hobbs, puts on par with the main character and a willingness to root for him all the more.

Sepiatone

37 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Really?   I mean, if YOU got shot by some nutjob woman because(as far as you knew) you said something about being or wanting to be the greatest at something, YOU wouldn't hesitate before getting back into whatever it was, especially after a likely long recovery period?   And the fact WE never learn why she did what she did, and neither did Hobbs, puts on par with the main character and a willingness to root for him all the more.

Sepiatone

Like with @EricJ comment, your point is very valid, but at least for me,  the movie, which I greatly enjoy,  needed to show more of that than just assume we'll fill in a pretty big blank. 

Hershey's character is based on Ruth Ann Steinhagen. In 1949,  when she was 19, she shot Phillies player Eddie Waitkus in a hotel room in Chicago after luring him to her room with a note. She nevver could explain why she tried to kill him.  Waitkus survived, and  continued playing baseball. Steinhagen was judged insane and sent to a mental hospital, but was released three years later when doctors judged her sane. Waitkus never pressed  charges.  Steinhagen died of natural causes in 2012.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fading Fast said:

While @EricJ makes a good point, Hershey's character and the huge gap in time it took Redford's character to return to baseball are the flaws in an otherwise outstanding movie.  

I don't think Hobbs was recovering all those years. The assumption is that he'd just figured he'd missed his chance, then stayed away from the game, plus the scandal.

Possibly my favorite sports movie, definitely my favorite baseball movie.

11 hours ago, Technicolor33 said:

What the heck was Barbara Hershey character’s problem ? Why was she stalking and shooting baseball players with silver bullets ?

To be honest, I've wondered, because it was sloppily unexplained, but never dwelt on it much, because it was somewhat incidental to the main story of redemption and what's really important in life.

• Like 1

Even with it still unexplained properly, it is still definitely the best film Barry Levinson ever directed.

I do have a biography about Robert Redford, and it seems to indicate that the editing was rushed on the film just so it could fill in its early 1984 release date, preset even before the film was finished

• Like 1

I think of it as an entertaining mythological interpretation of the real-life ball players who came out of  the rural Midwest and

had the special skill of playing  baseball. Hobbs is just one  of those players with supernatural abilities. His chronology  is a little

confusing. When  he is  shot he looks  to be about twenty. When he comes back to the majors sixteen years  later he is supposed

to be in his early to mid forties, which doesn't add up, but that's a minor point in an overall good movie. 

It(to me) was never made clear how old Hobbs was when he struck out the "Whammer" early on in the movie.  Maybe he was 20.  And 16 years later would have made him 36, a ripe old age for an athlete in ANY sport.   And at my age I can't really recall how old Hobbs was in the book.  :unsure:

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings