Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID

Coach E-Dub

3 hours ago, Coach E-Dub said:

When Will TCM Show this Steve Martin Classic?  This is a movie classic and it should be shown and revered for the great well put together movie that it is, from 1982. This year would make the 40th Anniversary of this "Great Movie Classic."

TCM has shown Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid;   I love the film and hopefully TCM will show it soon.     Great movie to play the guess-which-film-this-scene is from parlor game!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid — "How To Dial" - YouTube

"Hello, tall, dark and is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me. Would you care to come up to my place and watch Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid? I'm sure TCM will have it on any year now. In the meanwhile you can watch me rub Farina all over my body. Be aware, though, there might be a surprise."

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Swithin said:

I remember going to see this when it was released and being disappointed.

My first viewing was recently, having low expectations and I was pleasantly surprised. I do like Steve Martin as a comedian & actor and like his goofy take on old movies. 

Not every movie has to be four stars. It was just as enjoyable as the any old classic programmer imho.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I believe DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID (1982) is a Universal Picture

WISH Svengoolie would broadcast it!!! I saw lots of PD Noir movies on Sat Afternoon Kids Show, usually locally produced show in the 60's. (Our local host: Baron Demone!) Really, you can only show so much classic Universal Monsters or unclassic Hammer horror. Branch out Svengoolie!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Really, you can only show so much classic Universal Monsters or unclassic Hammer horror. Branch out Svengoolie!

But he's a ghoul, so.

The title does mention dead men so maybe it could work on Svengoolie.

Reminds me of when Count Floyd booked an unseen movie based solely on the title.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Reminds me of when Count Floyd booked an unseen movie based solely on the title.

That was hilarious! Thanks, I've never seen that skit before! In the first 30 seconds or so, the actor resembled George Sanders quite a bit.

And thanks for mentioning Martin's MAN WITH 2 BRAINS, Lorna. I remember liking that one too.

Good for you Mr Gorman, I couldn't make it through Myra Breckinridge even once, not even half way. Life is too short.

• Like 2

I never liked Martin's stand-up schtick.  I thought his movies would be just as intelligence insulting.  THE JERK certainly was, but since then I've rarely if ever been disappointed in any of his movies.  And DMDWP  was, IMHO, a wonderful send-up of old noir classics.  And still one of his better efforts.

Sepiatone

2 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I never liked Martin's stand-up schtick.  I thought his movies would be just as intelligence insulting.  THE JERK certainly was, but since then I've rarely if ever been disappointed in any of his movies.  And DMDWP  was, IMHO, a wonderful send-up of old noir classics.  And still one of his better efforts.

Sepiatone

Martin went to Garden Grove High School here in So Cal,  so I knew a few people that were his classmates.   I went to one of Martin's stand-up shows with one of these classmates and yea,   I also found his stand-up schtick to be only so-so.      But like you I really enjoy DMDWP.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2022 at 12:16 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Trailer for PENNIES FROM HEAVEN, which I think was directed by HERBERT ROSS...? (would still make a good double feautre w/ DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID]

It was directed by Herbert Ross. And it's an astonishingly good, if very downbeat film. Likely the best release of 1981, and Bernadette peters is brilliant in it. Unfortunately, not many people, save Pauline Kael, recognized its worth at the time. Fred Astaire was a fit to be tied over it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings