Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who Done It......Charlie Chan, Sherlock Holmes.

Coach E-Dub

Is there a reason that anyone knows of as to why TCM does not show Charlie Chan and Sherlock Holmes movies, especially the ones with Warner Oland, Sidney Toler, and even Peter Ustinov. Or you can go back to when the role was played by George Kuwa or Kamiyama Sojin. But of course my dear movie heads, Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, portrayals of Sherlock Holmes and Watson. These are all extraordinary actors giving extraordinary performances in these roles, which made these classic movie something more than just entertaining. 

2 hours ago, Coach E-Dub said:

Is there a reason that anyone knows of as to why TCM does not show Charlie Chan and Sherlock Holmes movies, especially the ones with Warner Oland, Sidney Toler, and even Peter Ustinov. Or you can go back to when the role was played by George Kuwa or Kamiyama Sojin. But of course my dear movie heads, Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, portrayals of Sherlock Holmes and Watson. These are all extraordinary actors giving extraordinary performances in these roles, which made these classic movie something more than just entertaining. 

There are many theories that have been debate here;  This is my take:

The films TCM tends to show are from the original Ted  Turner library of films when Turner purchased the rights to studio-era MGM,  Warner Bros. and RKO films.  Some Paramount films were included since they were owned by MGM.    TCM's  parent Time-Warner owns these films.    While TCM does lease films from other studios,   these films tend to cost more;  E.g.  20th Century Fox films,  since Fox has their own networks to showcase their films  (and Disney just purchased the Fox library).    Universal Studio is one messed up studio with regards to their studio-era films.   E.g. many not converted to a digital format.     Yes,  TCM will go out of their way to lease some Universal films (e.g. their classic horror films).

Films from the poverty-row studios like Monogram or other so called non-major studios like Republic are not show very often on TCM;  (e.g. people often ask where are those early Republic John Wayne westerns).  

Charlie Chan films were first produced by 20th Century Fox and then Monogram purchased the rights to the serial (in 1944).    

The  first Sherlock Holmes film with Rathbone (1939 Hounds of the Baskervilles) was produced by Fox.    Universal then purchased the rights and released the remaining Bathbone\Bruce films.

NOW:  another theory related to Charlie Chan films is that TCM is being "PC";    TCM doesn't wish to show the films since white-guys are playing Chan.    I don't buy into this theory.       TCM never banned films due to PC reasons that I know of;  E.g. they show Birth of a Nation.       

• Like 1

Well, Thank You Very Much for your insight. I like your take on all of this. Especially what you said about Charlie Chan and PC. I don't but that for a second because then just about all the westerns they show, especially They Died With Their Boots On, which they showed yesterday, they would have to stop showing them, because just about all of the main indian characters in the westerns they show are played by white actors. Tab Hunter, Hugh O'Brien, Jack Palance, Anthony Quinn, Jeff Chandler, just to name a few. Thank you so much for enlightening me, I truly appreciate it.

10 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

NOW:  another theory related to Charlie Chan films is that TCM is being "PC";    TCM doesn't wish to show the films since white-guys are playing Chan.    I don't buy into this theory.       TCM never banned films due to PC reasons that I know of;  E.g. they show Birth of a Nation.

Some are rights issues. The later Chan. TCM sold the DVD'S. They scheduled the movies but the company they dealt with only had the DVD rights and not broadcast rights. Fox years ago showed the Chan movies but had Chinese hosts which explained things. Remember on TCM their always showing a short about blackface and how the blacks were shown.

50 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

Sherlock Holmes deserves his own channel dedicated just to his character.  :)  So many films and series.  I believe he's featured in more films than any other character in the history of cinema.

Well there clearly is enough Sherlock Holmes films and T.V. series made over the last 100 years to support a dedicated channel.    I'm surprised there isn't a crime\detective channel.    There are channels dedicated to game-shows,   food,   nature and all sorts of other specific topics.       

1 minute ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Well there clearly is enough Sherlock Holmes films and T.V. series made over the last 100 years to support a dedicated channel.    I'm surprised there isn't a crime\detective channel.    There are channels dedicated to game-shows,   food,   nature and all sorts of other specific topics.       

There has been in the past...Sleuth, which later became Cloo, before shutting down altogether in 2017. I recall watching it some when it was Sleuth

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

This channel is like a cheap knock off of TCM  with a variety of old films and old TV programs. They do show some Charlie Chan films and on certain days a two hour block of the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I switch to this when TCM  overdoses me with, for example, a full day of Errol Flynn like yesterday.  Don't get me wrong I do like some Errol Flynn but sometimes it gets a bit much. Check out yesterdays schedule.

The Film Detective

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings