Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has TCM Essentially Stopped Airing Those Fun "Series" Like The Saint, Torchy Blane, etc. etc?

lydecker

Call me crazy (most do) but it seems as though TCM has abandoned doing daytime (or nighttime) salutes to any of those beloved "series" of the 1930's and 1940's.  I refer to film series such as:  Dr. Kildare, Torchy Blane, Crime Doctor,  The Lone Wolf, The Saint, The Falcon, Perry Mason, etc. etc. Back in the day, TCM used to air  several of those series in daytime, especially, quite often.    I know TCM did a Bulldog Drummond Day a few months ago but, with that exception, I don't recall seeing  a Torchy Blane, Kildare or Saint "Day" lately.  I miss 'em. Do you?

1 hour ago, lydecker said:

Call me crazy (most do) but it seems as though TCM has abandoned doing daytime (or nighttime) salutes to any of those beloved "series" of the 1930's and 1940's.  I refer to film series such as:  Dr. Kildare, Torchy Blane, Crime Doctor,  The Lone Wolf, The Saint, The Falcon, Perry Mason, etc. etc. Back in the day, TCM used to air  several of those series in daytime, especially, quite often.    I know TCM did a Bulldog Drummond Day a few months ago but, with that exception, I don't recall seeing  a Torchy Blane, Kildare or Saint "Day" lately.  I miss 'em. Do you?

I still assume it the studio that owns the rights to the films that is the main reason TCM does or does not show these serials.    E.g.  Torchy Blane films were shown by TCM not too long ago.   Torchy Blane films were produced by Warner Bros.    TCM has also shown The Falcon which is RKO.    (and thus these two serials are part of the original Ted Turner library of films).      I don't recall seeing The Saint serial and that is RKO as well.

Crime Doctor and The Lone Wolf are Columbia.      

Get-TV which features Columbia showed all of the Crime Doctor and The Lone Wolf films  (as well as the Boston B l a c k i e serial). 

Yea,  it would be great if TCM showed these.   TCM did show The Lone Wolf Spy Hunt but I assume that was because the film featured up coming actresses Rita Hayworth and Ida Lupino. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings