Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anybody here collect Criterion Blu/DVDs/4K?

LsDoorMat

For that matter does anybody here have any of the Criterion laserdiscs?  What's your favorite in the collection? Your least favorite? 

I'll start - I guess more of a favorite surprise from Criterion was  the 1966 film Blow Up. I generally don't like films from the 1960s because I think in general they age more poorly than films from any other decade, and this one was very original and kept my interest.

My least favorite Criterion? Koyaanisqatsi - It is just not my cup of tea since it is just too abstract for my tastes. 

I have a few, no laserdiscs, just DVDs.

My Favorite- Night Of The Hunter (1955) A beautiful restored digital print. Archival interviews with Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters and Lillian Gish, also with cinematographer Stanley Cortez. A clip with the cast from The Ed Sullivan Show. Best of all, we see Charles Laughton directing the entire film with outtakes and behind the scenes footage.

Least favorite The Most Dangerous Game (1932). Good movie, but only extra is audio commentary by some film historian, so boring I turned it off.

I have ~372 Criterion discs, including both DVD and Blu-ray.

My favorites (based on the release, not the specific movie) are probably the Zatoichi box set, and the Godzilla set. I also like the ones that include the source novel with the discs, like Picnic at Hanging Rock and Red River.

As for my least favorite release that I have, I'd have to agree with The Most Dangerous Game. Early, bare bones release.

My least favorite movie that I've seen that Criterion has also released, but I do not have in my personal collection, would have to be Armageddon.

I don't have enough to call myself a Criterion collector.  But of those I do have, my two favorites are 1941's The Lady Eve with Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Fonda and Charles Coburn.   And 1945's Leave Her to Heaven with Gene Tierney,  Cornel Wilde and Jeanne Crain.   I only buy Blu-rays and DVDs of movies that are my personal all-timers, so don't have any that are least favorites.

I have a little over 100 titles--mostly the Classic Hollywood titles, but a handful of New Hollywood.  I think my most "recent" title is The Princess Bride (1987). 

My favorite title in my collection is probably Mildred Pierce, The Palm Beach Story, and Leave Her to Heaven.

I don't have any least favorites, because I am very deliberate as to which titles I purchase.

I am happy to have the OOP Criterion of The Third Man, even if it's DVD. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I may have a couple of Criterion DVD's, but I'm not sure.  I think MAN ON A SWING (1974) and THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE (1973) are Criterion releases. 

Yes on Eddie Coyle (I have it), but no on the other (unless it was a LaserDisc).

• Like 1

I've got a grand total of eight Criterion movies (only one of which is DVD). About half of them I picked up cheap at a thrift store, a couple as gifts, and a couple more bought at B&N at their regular, hefty sum. In the future I'd like to begin collecting them in earnest. I love the work Criterion does in restoring, preserving, and distributing films. Thoroughly enjoying my subscription to the Criterion Channel.

No least favorites yet. My favorite might have to be Dr. Strangelove because I adore the clever little extras they included in the package (and Strangelove is a favorite film of mine as well). I like the poster they included in Gilda, too.

Honestly, I'd love to have a copy of Koyaanisqatsi. I've seen it maybe three times (once in reverse!) and it has such an intriguing effect on me. I can certainly understand someone not finding it enjoyable, though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, coffeebits said:

I've got a grand total of eight Criterion movies (only one of which is DVD). About half of them I picked up cheap at a thrift store, a couple as gifts, and a couple more bought at B&N at their regular, hefty sum. In the future I'd like to begin collecting them in earnest. I love the work Criterion does in restoring, preserving, and distributing films. Thoroughly enjoying my subscription to the Criterion Channel.

No least favorites yet. My favorite might have to be Dr. Strangelove because I adore the clever little extras they included in the package (and Strangelove is a favorite film of mine as well). I like the poster they included in Gilda, too.

Honestly, I'd love to have a copy of Koyaanisqatsi. I've seen it maybe three times (once in reverse!) and it has such an intriguing effect on me. I can certainly understand someone not finding it enjoyable, though.

If you want to start collecting Criterion and don’t want to pay the full price, there are 4 50% off sales each year. 

Barnes & Noble has two sales, July and November. They both last about a month.

Criterion.com will have two one-day flash sales, usually on a Tuesday. One in February/March and the other in October. 

Sometimes they’ll send Criterion Channel subscribers a $10 coupon. I got one around Christmas and saved it for the most recent Flash sale. 

• Thanks 1

I have some Criterion editions.

The Passion of Joan of Arc

Hamlet

I Know Where I'm Going

All That Heaven Allows

The lady Eve

Sullivan's Travels

In the mood for Love

The Importance of Being Earnest

Hopscotch

Trouble in Paradise

The life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Heaven Can Wait (1943)

Metropolitian

Magnificent Obsession

The Last Metro

The Last Days of Disco

Howards End

Paris, Texas

Broadcast News

Modern Times

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

The young Girls of Rochefort

A Room with a View

I Wanna hold Your Hand

True Stories

My Brilliant Career

The Circus

Cluny Brown

I thought about maybe upgrading my older DVD copies of Moonstruck and Harold and Maude because the picture quality is lacking on the older ones.

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Sometimes they’ll send Criterion Channel subscribers a $10 coupon. I got one around Christmas and saved it for the most recent Flash sale. 

Best part of shopping directly with Criterion is that if you purchase enough merchandise you can earn loyalty $50.00 gift cards. The coupons they give out also never expire. For example, I was a subscriber to Filmstruck and they gave 2 coupons in 2018. I finally used them in 2021.

My collection is listed below and all are Blu-rays except for The Grand Illusion which I purchased when it was announced it was going out of print.  I am still kicking myself for not snagging Chungking Express when I had the chance.

My favorite is probably The Apu Trilogy because of the restoration work they did on it. As a Bengali, it is very important for me that the works of Satyajit Ray and other Bengali filmmakers are preserved.

My least favorite would be Kiarostami's Close-Up. I received it as a gift and it didn't really do much for me when I saw it the firs time. I think it deserves a re-watch.

12 Angry Men
39 Steps, The
400 Blows, The
Ace in the Hole
The Age of Innocence
The Apu Trilogy
All About Eve
The Awful Truth
Barry Lyndon
Beauty & the Beast
The Bicycle Thieves
The Big City
Bitter Rice
Black Narcissus
Black Orpheus
The Breakfast Club
Brief Encounter
Bringing Up Baby
Bull Durham
Charade
Charulata
Children of Paradise
The Circus
City Lights
Close-Up
The Cloud-Capped Star
Design For Living
Diabolique
La Dolce Vita
Dr. Strangelove, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Earrings of Madame De...
Elevator to the Gallows
Eyes without a Face
Foreign Correspondent
Gilda
The Gold Rush
The Grand Illusion
The Great Dictator
The Great Escape
A Hard Day's Night
The Heiress
Here Comes Mr. Jordan
The Hero 
The Hidden Fortress
High & Low
His Girl Friday
Holiday
I Married a Witch
Ikiru
In a Lonely Place
In the Mood for Love
It Happened One Night
Jules Et Jim
The Kid
The Lady Eve
Leave Her to Heaven
The Life of Oharu
Limelight
M
The Magnificent Ambersons
Make Way for Tomorrow
A Man Escaped
The Manchurian Candidate
Midnight Cowboy
Mildred Pierce
Ministry of Fear
Modern Times
Monsieur Verdoux
Moonstruck
The Music Room
My Man Godfrey
The Night of the Hunter
Night Train to Munich
Nightmare Alley
Notorious
Now, Voyager
On The Waterfront
Only Angels Have Wings
Paths of Glory
The Philadelphia Story
Pickup on South Street
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Pierrot Le Fou
The Princess Bride
Rashomon
Rebecca
Red River
The Red Shoes
Roberto Rossellini's War Trilogy
A Room with a View
The Rules of the Game
Safety Last
The Samurai Trilogy
Sansho the Bailiff
The Seven Samurai
The Seventh Seal
The Silence of the Lambs
Some Like it Hot
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
Stagecoach
Sullivan's Travels
The Sweet Smell of Success
Swing Time
The Thin Red Line
The Third Man
Throne of Blood
To Be or Not to Be
The Tokyo Story
Tom Jones
Ugetsu
Umberto D
The Uninvited
The Virgin Suicides
The Wages of Fear
Wild Strawberries
Woman of the Year
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Young Mr. Lincoln

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I thought about maybe upgrading my older DVD copies of Moonstruck and Harold and Maude because the picture quality is lacking on the older ones.

If I remember correctly, the Criterion edition of Harold & Maude is out of print along with a bunch of Paramount titles. Paramount released it in late 2021 as part of its Paramount Presents line.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:07 AM, LsDoorMat said:

My least favorite Criterion? Koyaanisqatsi - It is just not my cup of tea since it is just too abstract for my tastes. 

I like Koyaanisqatsi, but I'm not sure whether to have it in a boxset for the bragging rights, since that means having the underwhelming Powaqqatsi and the failed twenty-years-later reboot Naqoyqatsi with it.

And because they cost a fortune, I don't buy Criterions just for the sake of buying them (oh, how I used to give heck to the early birth-of-Blu cult of "blind buying", which soon spun off its own splinter cult of Criterion blind-buying--My adolescent hormones cooled long ago, and I display loyalty in other ways than blind collection-completism).  So I don't really have a "worst" Criterion, since each purchase is carefully considered, although, yes, the Godzilla book is my Blu-ray bragging trophy. 🐲😁

So I only have a small collection:

• A Hard Day's Night
  • The Circus
  • Dreams
  • Godzilla bookset
  • The Incredible Shrinking Man
  • The Magic Flute
  • The Mikado
  • Modern Times
  • Qatsi Trilogy 
  • WC Fields: 6 Short Films (DVD)

There are also a few films I'd LIKE to see Criterion rescue out of public domain, but until the changing fortunes of MGM and Paramount straighten themselves out, I can only hope.

5 hours ago, EricJ said:

I like Koyaanisqatsi, but I'm not sure whether to have it in a boxset for the bragging rights, since that means having the underwhelming Powaqqatsi and the failed twenty-years-later reboot Naqoyqatsi with it.

And because they cost a fortune, I don't buy Criterions just for the sake of buying them (oh, how I used to give heck to the early birth-of-Blu cult of "blind buying", which soon spun off its own splinter cult of Criterion blind-buying--My adolescent hormones cooled long ago, and I display loyalty in other ways than blind collection-completism).  So I don't really have a "worst" Criterion, since each purchase is carefully considered, although, yes, the Godzilla book is my Blu-ray bragging trophy. 🐲😁

So I only have a small collection:

• A Hard Day's Night
  • The Circus
  • Dreams
  • Godzilla bookset
  • The Incredible Shrinking Man
  • The Magic Flute
  • The Mikado
  • Modern Times
  • Qatsi Trilogy 
  • WC Fields: 6 Short Films (DVD)

There are also a few films I'd LIKE to see Criterion rescue out of public domain, but until the changing fortunes of MGM and Paramount straighten themselves out, I can only hope.

It's funny you mention  adolescent hormone with regards to collecting. I was a student during the height of the DVD era, so I only bought a few DVD probably fewer than 10 or 20 due to limited funds. What I did have was DOC Films at University of Chicago, which played newer films alongside indies, classic Hollywood and art house films. Since they had films playing everyday during the quarter, I lucked out and didn't need to buy much. 

Then the HD format wars happened and I decided to stick with TCM and IFC (😭) until a winner was decided. Then I started to grow my collection with a few rules.: no blind buys and I really have to love the movie. I don't buy large boxset collections like the Fellini or Bergman and opt for a few select titles I love. 

Paramount is starting to release some of their catalog titles with the primary motivation being streaming and a smaller subset being released on physical media. I almost gave up hope seeing Roman Holiday and A Place in the Sun on Blu-ray.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, umop apisdn said:

If I remember correctly, the Criterion edition of Harold & Maude is out of print along with a bunch of Paramount titles. Paramount released it in late 2021 as part of its Paramount Presents line.

This is a pet peeve of mine - Paramount retaking titles from Criterion just to put them into their own underwhelming presentations. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, umop apisdn said:

Best part of shopping directly with Criterion is that if you purchase enough merchandise you can earn loyalty $50.00 gift cards. The coupons they give out also never expire. For example, I was a subscriber to Filmstruck and they gave 2 coupons in 2018. I finally used them in 2021.

My collection is listed below and all are Blu-rays except for The Grand Illusion which I purchased when it was announced it was going out of print.  I am still kicking myself for not snagging Chungking Express when I had the chance.

My favorite is probably The Apu Trilogy because of the restoration work they did on it. As a Bengali, it is very important for me that the works of Satyajit Ray and other Bengali filmmakers are preserved.

My least favorite would be Kiarostami's Close-Up. I received it as a gift and it didn't really do much for me when I saw it the firs time. I think it deserves a re-watch.

12 Angry Men
39 Steps, The
400 Blows, The
Ace in the Hole
The Age of Innocence
The Apu Trilogy
All About Eve
The Awful Truth
Barry Lyndon
Beauty & the Beast
The Bicycle Thieves
The Big City
Bitter Rice
Black Narcissus
Black Orpheus
The Breakfast Club
Brief Encounter
Bringing Up Baby
Bull Durham
Charade
Charulata
Children of Paradise
The Circus
City Lights
Close-Up
The Cloud-Capped Star
Design For Living
Diabolique
La Dolce Vita
Dr. Strangelove, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Earrings of Madame De...
Elevator to the Gallows
Eyes without a Face
Foreign Correspondent
Gilda
The Gold Rush
The Grand Illusion
The Great Dictator
The Great Escape
A Hard Day's Night
The Heiress
Here Comes Mr. Jordan
The Hero 
The Hidden Fortress
High & Low
His Girl Friday
Holiday
I Married a Witch
Ikiru
In a Lonely Place
In the Mood for Love
It Happened One Night
Jules Et Jim
The Kid
The Lady Eve
Leave Her to Heaven
The Life of Oharu
Limelight
M
Make Way for Tomorrow
A Man Escaped
The Manchurian Candidate
Midnight Cowboy
Mildred Pierce
Ministry of Fear
Modern Times
Monsieur Verdoux
Moonstruck
The Music Room
My Man Godfrey
The Night of the Hunter
Night Train to Munich
Nightmare Alley
Notorious
Now, Voyager
On The Waterfront
Only Angels Have Wings
Paths of Glory
The Philadelphia Story
Pickup on South Street
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Pierrot Le Fou
The Princess Bride
Rashomon
Rebecca
Red River
The Red Shoes
Roberto Rossellini's War Trilogy
A Room with a View
The Rules of the Game
Safety Last
The Samurai Trilogy
Sansho the Bailiff
The Seven Samurai
The Seventh Seal
The Silence of the Lambs
Some Like it Hot
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
Stagecoach
Sullivan's Travels
The Sweet Smell of Success
Swing Time
The Thin Red Line
The Third Man
Throne of Blood
To Be or Not to Be
The Tokyo Story
Tom Jones
Ugetsu
Umberto D
The Uninvited
The Virgin Suicides
The Wages of Fear
Wild Strawberries
Woman of the Year
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Young Mr. Lincoln

I'm still waiting for Criterion or Paramount to release a restored Blu-ray of one of my all-tmers:  1963's Hud.

• Like 2

I'm sure there are people who are trying to collect them all, but I'm not one of them. As many as I have, it's still only about a third of the whole collection, and I don't have much if any interest in any that I don't already have (excluding coming soon titles, anyway). 

Some other distributors try the Criterion method of numbering their releases, which can trigger the compulsive collector's response. Shout Selects from Shout Factory, some of the Fox releases, and I think the newer "deluxe" Paramount Blu-rays are all numbered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm sure there are people who are trying to collect them all, but I'm not one of them. As many as I have, it's still only about a third of the whole collection, and I don't have much if any interest in any that I don't already have (excluding coming soon titles, anyway). 

Some other distributors try the Criterion method of numbering their releases, which can trigger the compulsive collector's response. Shout Selects from Shout Factory, some of the Fox releases, and I think the newer "deluxe" Paramount Blu-rays are all numbered.

I have absolutely zero interest in acquiring the entire Criterion Collection. There’s what? 1100+ titles? I’m only interested in maybe 10-15% of what they release. Because of this, the spine numbers are irrelevant to me, which is why I alphabetize my collection. The only things I organized by spine number are my Forbidden Hollywood box sets, my Kino Film Noir Dark Side of Cinema sets, and my Fox Film Noir collection. Those I organized by spine because I wanted to collect the whole set. Having them in order numerically helped me keep track of which ones I needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I know what you mean. I know people who wish to be Criterion completists and either see or own all the films in the collection, but some of their titles are overpraised, or too esoteric for my tastes, or just plain weird (like Armageddon). It's a good DVD line, but too often it feels a bit like a cudgel; some treat it as though of a film never made the collection, it is not worth discussing.

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I know what you mean. I know people who wish to be Criterion completists and either see or own all the films in the collection, but some of their titles are overpraised, or too esoteric for my tastes, or just plain weird (like Armageddon). It's a good DVD line, but too often it feels a bit like a cudgel; some treat it as though of a film never made the collection, it is not worth discussing.

Yeah, I'm trying to see them all, but there are many of them that I don't care for.  I once recall seeing a comment from someone at Criterion that the Armageddon and The Rock releases sold more than any other titles up to that time, so I don't mind that they're there if they helped keep the lights on. 

The Film Snobs who genuflect at the Criterion altar can be a bit much, like many of the Film Twitter types one finds on social media. 

One thing I sort of miss from Criterion are the Eclipse series sets. They seem to have discontinued them since the streaming services started, but I liked the fact that they highlighted some really obscure stuff that no other label would bother with. Does anyone have any of the sets? I have four of them:

• The First Films of Akira Kurosawa
  • Postwar Kurosawa
  • Alexander Korda's Private Lives
  • When Horror Came to Shochiku

• Thanks 1

I have three Eclipse sets:

• Postwar Kurosawa
  • Basil Dearden's London Underground
  • Ingrid Bergman's Swedish Years

A much better price point than the Criterion sets.

And it sucks that TCM seems to be relying on Criterion to program TCM Imports.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Lol.  I saw Armageddon in the theater in I think the 8th or 9th grade.  Even as a 14-year old, I didn't think that it was anything special.  The $3.50 ticket price was about as much as I was willing to spend on it.  Between the constant advertising and Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" song, I was over Armageddon pretty quickly. 

A lot of the Criterion titles I've never even heard of, or they're things that I have absolutely zero desire to watch, like Salo. Some of the Criterion collectors, at least the ones on Reddit, are crazy.  During the 50% off sales, they'll drop hundreds of dollars on movies that they've never seen. If I buy something that I've never seen, It's still an educated decision.  I will blind buy based on the cast, director and/or genre. I try to watch everything before buying; but sometimes buying it is the only way I can watch it.  That's not really the case with Criterion though.  Using the library, TCM, Criterion Channel, HBO Max, or any other outlets, it's pretty easy to preview a lot of the Criterion titles prior to purchase. 

In my Criterion Collection, I have:

12 Angry Men

The 39 Steps

3:10 to Yuma (blind buy, I haven't watched this one yet; but I think I'll like it)

Ace in the Hole

All About Eve

All That Heaven Allows

The Asphalt Jungle

The Awful Truth

Badlands

The Blob

The Breaking Point

Brief Encounter (I actually have 2 copies of this movie. I have it individually and as part of the David Lean/Noel Coward set)

Bringing Up Baby

Brute Force

The Cameraman

Cat People

Charade

The Circus

Citizen Kane

City Lights

Cluny Brown

The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

Dance, Girl, Dance

David Lean and Noel Coward (which I literally bought just for Blithe Spirit.  But the set also comes with Brief Encounter, In Which We Serve, and The Happy Breed)

Design for Living

Detour

Downhill Racer

Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

A Face in the Crowd

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Foreign Correspondent

Forty Guns

The Freshman

The Furies

Gilda

The Gold Rush

A Hard Day's Night

Heaven Can Wait

The Heiress

Here Comes Mr. Jordan

High Sierra

His Girl Friday

History is Made at Night

Holiday

I Married a Witch

In a Lonely PLace

In the Heat of the Night

It Happened One Night

The Kid

The Kid Brother

The Killers

The Killing

Kiss Me Deadly

Klute

The Lady Eve

The Lady Vanishes

Leave Her to Heaven

Love Affair

Magnificent Obsession

Make Way for Tomorrow

Merrily We Go to Hell (this was a blind buy, but I love pre-code, so I think I'll like it)

Mildred Pierce

Ministry of Fear (another blind buy, but I enjoy film noir, Fritz Lang, and this one was really cheap)

Modern Times

Moonrise

My Man Godfrey

The Naked City (Another blind buy, but I love Jules Dassin's films, so I feel good about it)

Night and the City

The Night of the Hunter

Night Train to Munich

Nightmare Alley

Notorious

Now Voyager

On the Waterfront

Only Angels Have Wings

The Palm Beach Story

The Parallax View

Paths of Glory

The Philadelphia Story

Pickup on South Street

La Piscine

The Princess Bride

Purple Noon

Rebecca 

Red River

Ride the Pink Horse

Safety Last!

Le Samourai (A blind buy, but I'm all about Alain Delon right now)

Show Boat

Some Like it Hot

Something Wild (1961)

Speedy

The Story of Temple Drake

Sullivan's Travels

Summertime

Sweet Smell of Success

Swing Time

They Live by Night

Thieves' Highway

The Third Man

To Be or Not to Be

Trouble in Paradise

Unfaithfully Yours (blind buy, but I found it for $10 and I love Preston Sturges)

The Uninvited

Valley of the Dolls

Woman of the Year

Written on the Wind

---

I've been pretty underwhelmed by the latest releases.  The only movies that I'm looking at right now, are The Girl Can't Help It and the 4K upgrade of Double Indemnity

I have a bunch of the remaining Classic Hollywood titles on my Wish List. I'm undecided on those ones at the moment.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I've been pretty underwhelmed by the latest releases. 

Yeah, a lot of it is in response to social media complaints about there not being enough films in the collection by black filmmakers, women filmmakers, and/or LGBT filmmakers/subjects. So for the past year or two they've been adding a lot of titles to try and assuage those complainers. Now that they've started dipping into the 4K market, they'll also be limiting the number of previously unreleased titles in order to sell yet another "upgrade".

I may get The Girl Can't Help It eventually. I'll get Double IndemnityShaftPink Flamingos, and Raging Bull when they're released.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings