Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Glaring Historical Error in Ben's Intro tonight

yanceycravat

I can't believe no one caught this error... While introducing TURN BACK THE CLOCK (1933) Ben said, director Edgar Selwyn and his wife were scheduled to return to America on the Titanic in April 1915! I had to rewind the dvr just to be sure I heard what I heard.

One of the most written about events of the 20th Century. How could the researchers get that one wrong? And just in case there's someone out there who doesn't know... the year was 1912.

• Thanks 1

• yanceycravat changed the title to Glaring Historical Error in Ben's Intro tonight

My grandfather and his brother got held up in traffic, missing sailing on the Titanic by about a half hour. They had tickets for third class steerage.

As a small boy I never thought to ask Grandpa if he still had that ticket. Probably not.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Wow!  You just missed having famous ancestors by just that much!

If things had gone badly for them (third class steerage, after all) I wouldn't have been around to know about my ancestors.

30 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

*Sigh* The price of fame.

I wasn't thinking of any fame (and I don't know where you get that anyway, how many third class steerage victims' names are famous?) so much as the quirks of fate.

Since it's Beat Up on Ben day, I was disappointed last night that Ben referred to the movie Berkeley Square as "Burkley" rather than the proper English "Barkley" Square. Last week he got "Hubert de Givenchy" correct, which is much more difficult to get right.

3 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Reading a prompter might make 1912 look like 1915. Or it could have been a keying error. The 2 is just above the 5 on a numeric pad. 

Sure.  But too, he might have misread it.  Might have been supposed to say the director and wife were supposed to return on April 15th, 1912,  the date the ship sank. But apparently they missed the boat.  

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, filmnoirguy said:

Apparently Ben isn't good at thinking on his feet?   Or maybe he doesn't know the year.

Obviously he didn't know enough to overrule the teleprompter. I thought it went down in 1911, but I'm sure I would have questioned a date as late as 1915. 

6 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Obviously he didn't know enough to overrule the teleprompter. I thought it went down in 1911, but I'm sure I would have questioned a date as late as 1915. 

Whether it was the person who set the teleprompter or Ben reading it wrong, I guess I'm just shocked anyone of a certain age wouldn't know the tragedy took place in 1912.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Whether it was the person who set the teleprompter or Ben reading it wrong, I guess I'm just shocked anyone of a certain age wouldn't know the tragedy took place in 1912.

I would think that is most people over 40. I was a year off and I'm interested in this kind of stuff. 

Maybe they got it mixed up with the  sinking of  the Lusitania in 1915. I watched In Which We Serve. If I heard  it correctly Churchswill gives

an address announcing the declaration of war against Germany, but  at that time Churchswill was not yet PM.  Whatever. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Maybe they got it mixed up with the  sinking of  the Lusitania in 1915. I watched In Which We Serve. If I heard  it correctly Churchswill gives

an address announcing the declaration of war against Germany, but  at that time Churchswill was not yet PM.  Whatever. 

That was what I was thinking - that he somehow got the date of the sinking of the Lusitania mixed up with the date of the sinking of the Titanic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

That was what I was thinking - that he somehow got the date of the sinking of the Lusitania mixed up with the date of the sinking of the Titanic. 

Me too. I believe he mentioned  the date first, so I thought  a story  about the Lusitania would follow.  A  minor error in the larger scheme of things.

4 hours ago, Vautrin said:

My guess is they took it straight off wiki.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings