Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can anyone name a movie that starred Joan Crawford, Walter Pidgeon and Sandra Dee?

Debra Johnson

I'm watching reruns of "Maude".  The episode is "The Wallet".   There's a mixup and Maude thinks her husband is cheating w/a younger woman.  She goes to the woman's apartment and says "Listen Toots, I'm not Joan Crawford begging Sandra Dee not to take my husband Walter Pidgeon".   I'm searching for the movie that starred Joan Crawford, Sandra Dee and Walter Pidgeon w/this plot because sounds like it would be quite good.  I've googled, searched and everything I can think of.  Can't find a thing.

3 minutes ago, Debra Johnson said:

I'm watching reruns of "Maude".  The episode is "The Wallet".   There's a mixup and Maude thinks her husband is cheating w/a younger woman.  She goes to the woman's apartment and says "Listen Toots, I'm not Joan Crawford begging Sandra Dee not to take my husband Walter Pidgeon".   I'm searching for the movie that starred Joan Crawford, Sandra Dee and Walter Pidgeon w/this plot because sounds like it would be quite good.  I've googled, searched and everything I can think of.  Can't find a thing.

I don't believe the 3 ever made a film together.    (I don't think any of the two made a film together).

The writers were just using then as an example of jealous women (Crawford),   younger women (Dee),  and husband (Pidgeon).

• Like 5

JOAN CRAWFORD and SANDRA DEE both starred in 'Horror' movies released in 1970 . . . that's gotta be something:D

(Joan Crawford starred in TROG  -and-  Sandra Dee starred in THE DUNWICH HORROR).

I don't know if Walter Pidgeon starred in any horror movies, tho . . .   

Here's something:  the young woman Maude confronts is named Norma.

So maybe by using "Joan Crawford" the writers were playing on a role reversal of the big Joan and Norma Shearer confrontation in "The Women".

(Sandra Dee and Walter Pidgeon I can't figure out.)

13 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I don't believe the 3 ever made a film together.    (I don't think any of the two made a film together).

The writers were just using then as an example of jealous women (Crawford),   younger women (Dee),  and husband (Pidgeon).

I've seen this happen before -- someone making a film reference joke that's not accurate.  Funny thing is, Crawford -- even in her later films -- tended to play the "younger" woman stealing the husband.  And good for her!  I'm an unapologetic Crawford fan who will defend TROG or at least die trying.

DESIGNING WOMEN contained a joke about "Ann-Margret women in prison" films.  I don't think A-M ever played a prison inmate, unless there were some prison scenes in KITTEN WITH A WHIP.

In both cases, the jokes sound right, if you know what I mean.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Here's something:  the young woman Maude confronts is named Norma.

So maybe by using "Joan Crawford" the writers were playing on a role reversal of the big Joan and Norma Shearer confrontation in "The Women".

(Sandra Dee and Walter Pidgeon I can't figure out.)

As I'm sure you know,  Pidgeon played a husband in many films,  especially those that featured Greer Garson as his wife.      Of course Maude's husband is named Walter so maybe any connection is that simple.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings