Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stars who appear as themselves in movies

jakeem

In the new movie "The Unbearable Weight  of Massive Talent," the Academy Award-winning actor Nicolas Cage plays an exaggerated version of himself.

Of course, this has been done before, which leads to the  question: "What are your favorite movies in which stars appear as themselves?" 

Review: Nicolas Cage is at his best in 'The Unbearable Weight of Massive  Talent' | GMA

My favorite movie appearance is Cary Grant's cameo in "Without Reservations," the 1946  Mervyn LeRoy comedy starring Claudette Colbert as a writer who had been hoping the film adaptation of her best seller would star the British-born actor. John Wayne co-starred as a U.S. Marine pilot she considered as a possible replacement for Grant.

Happy Thoughts Darlings — Cary made a cameo appearance, as himself, in  the...

• Like 2

• jakeem changed the title to Stars who appear as themselves in movies

What if you played yourself in a film and people thought you were unconvincing?

Hedda Hopper and Cecil B. DeMille in Sunset Boulevard would be among the better examples. Among the not-so-great there's Bruce Willis in Ocean's Twelve. Nothing against Willis, but the script of Ocean's Twelve, especially the scene in which he appears, is such a piece of caca.

It is recent but Bill Murray is a perfectly wonderful treasure playing himself in: Zombieland (2009).

I have not watched it but the entire cast of: This Is the End (2013) are modern celebrities playing themselves. 

"Six Los Angeles celebrities are stuck in James Franco's house after a series of devastating events just destroyed the city. Inside, the group not only have to face the apocalypse, but themselves." https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245492/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

39 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

the '79 movie A LITTLE ROMANCE (the one with L. Olivier hamming it up!). 

...The ONE??   😄  (Oh, right, that one he did in the late 70's.)

My favorite is when Fred Allen got a real starring picture of his own in It's in the Bag (1945), and made sure to give Jack Benny a nice big cameo:

its-in-the-bag!-aka-the-fifth-chair-jack

Fred (disguised as a reporter to get info):  "Tell me, Mr. Benny, how do you come up with those hilarious gags on your radio show every week?"
Jack:  "Well, it's easy, y'see, I...just start laughing, and...then I work backwards to try and figure out what I'm laughing AT."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A raft of stars played themselves in Hollywood Canteen, among them the two stars who founded the organization, Bette Davis and John Garfield.

Bette Davis and John Garfield in Hollywood Canteen (Delmer Daves, 1944) | Bette  davis eyes, Hollywood, Bette

The same was true of another Warner Brothers bond raiser, Thank Your Lucky Stars, this time with many of the stars performing routines, often musical, with which they were normally not associated. Among them, Bette Davis and Errol Flynn.

Davis is sport enough to let herself get thrown around by a jitterbug at one point in her number while Flynn, spoofing his heroic wartime screen image, is hilarious. Of note, Flynn filmed this sequence over three days, completing it two days before his trial for statutory rape was about to begin. He later wrote that he had a pilot and plane ready to escape the country if found guilty but here, watching him in this number, he looks carefree and like he doesn't have a worry in the world.

• Like 5

Robert Altman had some fun with the idea of movie star cameos in Nashville (1975). He'd worked with Julie Christie in McCabe and Mrs. Miller and maybe she was visiting the Nashville set...Who knows?..so he used her in a quick scene. In a Nashville club Julie was being ushered around by a publicist and they stopped at a table of country stars. After some small talk (Henry Gibson: 'This morning I was talking about The Christy Minstrels and now here you are...Julie Christie.") Julie was led away and Karen Black asked Henry Gibson who that was, to which he replied that it was Julie Christie, the movie star, to which she replied: "She can't be a movie star. She can't even comb her hair." Pretty funny. 

• Like 1

There's a raft of cameos in The Phynx, including this exchange between Marilyn Maxwell and Pat O'Brien:

Marilyn Maxwell: What's the matter, Pat? You look so thoughtful?

Pat O'Brien: Oh, Marilyn, I was just thinking. If I had played the other part, I'd be in Sacramento today and Ronald Reagan would be here.

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 1965 comedy "Dear Brigitte" starred James Stewart and Glynis Johns as the parents of a precocious 8-year-old boy (Billy Mumy) who wrote fan letters to La Bardot and received an invitation to visit her in France.

See the source image

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

IS this thread about CAMEOS?  Or some other type of thing.  For instance....

People always said JOHN WAYNE played himself in every movie he ever made!  ;) 

Sepiatone

Actually, Wayne made a couple of cameo appearances as himself in the 1958 comedy "I Married a Woman," which starred George Gobel and Diana Dors.  Interestingly, the black-and-white film switched to Technicolor whenever Wayne popped up on the screen. 

See the source image

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings