Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Inappropriate and Untimely Rat-a-tat Music

Twokeets

I may be the only one for whom this is a peeve, but I just had to gripe a little--I truly hate the goofy electronic rat-a-tat "music" that starts up the second some movies have ended, especially if the movie happens to be moving, sad, heavy. I just watched The Trial of Joan of Arc by Robert Bresson, for instance--so moving, so touching, it even had me in tears. Then the moment it ends, what do I hear but the obnoxious generic TCM rat-a-tat whatever it is. This happened at the end of Bergman's Seventh Veil too. What an annoying thing to hear. Can't TCM come up with some different interludes?

• Like 4

TCM thinks that's what 'modern audiences' want to hear.   This kind of 'rat-a-tat' electronic junk that is supposedly 'music' . . . irritating isn't it? 

Perhaps this electronic waste product could be replaced by something tuneful and/or less annoying.  Would be nice.  

• Like 2

Maybe I didn't describe it right--I'm referring to the music that TCM plays after the film has ended, when they show what's coming up next or whatever. I always find it very jarring. It takes me right out of the mood I'm feeling from the movie I just watched.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK.  I at first thought you were referring to some "rat-a-tat" type music IN the movie.  I don't find what TCM does as inappropriate since the movie is over and we are, in a sense, moving on.  And some might find it helpful in waking them up when the movie ends.  ;) 

And besides, referring to some of the movies you mentioned, WHY would you WANT to remain in the mood you're feeling from the movie.  Especially if it's a somewhat disturbing or depressing story?

Sepiatone

I guess it just feels a little abrupt sometimes. How about something  gentle to ease you back into reality--something with palm trees and the sound of waves? Just kidding, but the rat-a-tat music always feels like I got drenched with a bucket of cold water!

I just wonder "Why the need to immediately fill this time with noise?"  What have they got to do that's so doggone important they can't let a piece of art rest a moment or two.  I could do without all the self-promotion commercials they run patting each other on the backs all the time.   There's something to be said for allowing ourselves to return to our own real world and that a silent pause, of only a few seconds really, can help bring us back.  

They must be afraid that some 23-year-old is going to instantaneously flip to another channel if TCM doesn't announce that we're on to the next bit, so don't run away!  

I always know when a commercial station is at least serious enough abut its product when it runs full-screen end credits at normal speed when a show or movie ends.  There actually are a couple of channels that operate this way.  I'm a credits reader, myself, so I appreciate their efforts to show this part of the program.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings