Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

my first Andy Hardy film

Oceanblue

The Hardy Family films are my favorite of the many entertaining film series from the ‘30s and ‘40s.  I also love the Thin Man series and the Dr. Kildare/Dr. Gillespie movies, but the Hardy films are the ones (of the series) that we watch the most at our house.  (We watch a lot of series from those years.  Besides those mentioned, we also enjoy Torchy Blane, Charlie Chan, the Lone Wolf, Perry Mason, and others.)

The Hardy cast is outstanding.  Mickey Rooney and Lewis Stone were two of the most talented actors of their era, the supporting cast is always good, and the stories are humorous and heartfelt.  Sure, the plot lines can seem a bit corny today, but I’m willing to ascribe that to the very different era in which the Hardy films were made.

For me, the best Hardy film is the one you mention, Love Finds Andy Hardy.  It’s the first of the series to feature the great Judy Garland, and I love the Christmas-season setting.  It’s also nice to have Lana Turner in  the cast, and I really love the scene where the young Gene Reynolds uses his ham radio to get a message to Mrs. Hardy, who’s in Canada with her mother, who’s very ill.  The only flaw in this film, in my view, is that Aunt Milly is not played by the usual  Sara Haden, a very good character actress, but by the less suitable Betty Ross Clarke, who plays the role in two Hardy films.  (I always wondered if her name was really Betsy, not Betty, as in “Betsy Ross,” but she’s billed as “Betty” in the credits.)

Keep watching—you may find that you like other Hardy films as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, lpetiti said:

This is probably my favorite MGM series. They are so light and fluffy and perk me up when I've had a bad day. I own only a couple but maybe I should treat myself to the collection

Nice to see support for Andy Hardy films and Micky Rooney.    Here is he with the lovey Donna Reed.

Donna Reed - Rotten Tomatoes

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sukhov said:

They all look miserable. :lol: 

I wonder if that is just one of the initial takes and not an actual used for distribution, promo shot,  since they do all look miserable:  a photo to determine if the placement of the actors is "right",  etc...    Often the actors will mug to the camera or not smile like they are doing here for these set-up photos. 

Because if that is an actual promo shot that was distributed,   someone in the PR department should have been fired!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

I'm sure they wanted the performers to look serious.  Did anyone notice LANA TURNER in there...? 

Why would "they" (the MGM PR department leads),  wish for the performers of a mostly comedy serial,   to look serious for their PR promotion?    (and not just serious since Judy, Lana and Mickey look like they are unhappy or depressed).    Anyhow,  rhetorical question.   

(and yes,  I did notice Lana).      

10 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Why would "they" (the MGM PR department leads),  wish for the performers of a mostly comedy serial,   to look serious for their PR promotion?    (and not just serious since Judy, Lana and Mickey look like they are unhappy or depressed).    Anyhow,  rhetorical question.   

I've handled many vintage studio publicity photos that might not make sense to modern audiences.  It's the era, the principals' "bad" behavior in the that particular film; the Hardy films were like a melodramatic serial.  LEWIS STONE was a serious, admired judge, handing out pithy advice every episode.  Seriously.  :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 12:23 PM, JamesJazGuitar said:

If you look at the portraits at the beginning of each movie, they had that serious look to them actually. I've always taken it as taking a picture was a serious event and they wanted to take it seriously. Maybe that publicity photo was something similar? 

4 hours ago, lpetiti said:

If you look at the portraits at the beginning of each movie, they had that serious look to them actually. I've always taken it as taking a picture was a serious event and they wanted to take it seriously. Maybe that publicity photo was something similar? 

Maybe this was the MGM PR department way of saying the films were dramas with some comedy (instead of a comedy with some drama).

PS:  love your avatar photo;   Now there is one funny lady but she also was great in dramatic films.  

2 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Maybe this was the MGM PR department way of saying the films were dramas with some comedy (instead of a comedy with some drama).

PS:  love your avatar photo;   Now there is one funny lady but she also was great in drama films.  

Thank you! I love her in that role, and so many others!

4 hours ago, lpetiti said:

Thank you! I love her in that role, and so many others!

TCM showed The Opposite Sex last night.     The Women is a much better film.    The Opposite Sex does have some good actors in Ann Sheridan,  Joan Blondell and Ann Miller.

But Rosalind Russell was so great as Sylvia Fowler.     Funny, and witty even when she was being mean.    Dolores Gray was just mean without that Russell sparkle.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings